Cops cuff YouTube streamer after suicide threats in Downtown apartment

Wheeled off: Police put Willoughby Street on lockdown after online video game streamer Daniel Desmond Amofah, known online as Etika, allegedly threatened to kill himself in his apartment on the afternoon of April 29.
Brooklyn Paper
Share on TwitterTweet
Share on Facebook

Don’t miss our updates:

A popular video game streamer took to Instagram Monday to live-stream an alleged threat to kill himself in his apartment Downtown.

Daniel Desmond Amofah, known online as Etika, was taken into custody for allegedly threatening to end his life inside his Willoughby Street apartment between Lawrence and Bridge streets just after 1:30 p.m., according to police, who put the street on lockdown for an hour after the unhinged live post.

Amofah went on a rambling and bigoted social media rampage, tweeting “I fear nothing,” “f--- the Jews,” — which he later deleted — “f----t” and calling himself a “god.”

He also tweeted a photoshopped image of him pointing a gun at the camera and posted another tweet referencing nuclear weapons.

“I am inevitable. I always was. You all wasted far too much time building the nukes that I will extinguish life with,” he wrote.

Several of his followers worried for his safety and someone called the police to alert them that he might kill himself.

Some eight squad cars arrived outside Amofah’s apartment and barricaded the street shortly afterwards, all while he live-streamed the event to his more than 180,000 Instagram followers.

He then began shouting “the revolution will not be televized” out of his window and urged bystanders to record the incident on social media.

Cops in riot gear and paramedics got into the online personality’s apartment, cuffed him, and wheeled him out on an upright stretcher as he shouted “We made it” while a crowd of about 50 bystanders cheered him on.

Emergency services drove Amofah to a nearby hospital for psychiatric evaluation, according to an NYPD spokeswoman.

One bystander said that the police were overreacting to Amofah’s antics.

“It’s a complete overreaction, he just had a mental breakdown and they bring out eight police cars,” said Nicholas.

Amofah was hospitalized two weeks ago after threatening to kill himself with a gun on Twitter on April 16 and also garnered social media attention by posting porn on YouTube in October 2018 to get his channel deleted, reported Newsweek.

If someone you know exhibits warning signs of suicide, do not leave the person alone; remove any firearms, alcohol, drugs, or sharp objects that could be used in a suicide attempt; call the U.S. National Suicide Prevention Lifeline at (800) 273–8255; and take the person to an emergency room or seek help from a medical or mental health professional.

Reach reporter Kevin Duggan at (718) 260–2511 or by e-mail at Follow him on Twitter @kduggan16.
Updated 5:25 pm, April 29, 2019
Today’s news:
Share on TwitterTweet
Share on Facebook

Don’t miss our updates:

Reasonable discourse

Rodrigo Aguascalientes from Brooklyn Heights says:
No doubt another fan of Ilhan Omar, the Somalian traitor and Democrat hero!
April 29, 2019, 8:22 pm
Honey says:
Man threatens to kill himself - what happens next will blow your mind!
April 30, 2019, 7:15 am
Reginald Culver says:
With all due respect to The Last Poets and Gil Scott-Heron, the revolution will most certainly be televised. And, I am sorry, Nicholas, Amofah may or may not have had a mental breakdown but he did it while displaying a weapon. In emergency response, you don't send as much personnel and equipment as you hope you will need; you send as much as you might need, because when you need it, it needs to be there, not on its way.
April 30, 2019, 9:02 am
Anne-Elizabeth Straub LCSW from Downtown Brooklyn says:
There is no indication from the story as given, that the police overreacted. The bystanders seem to have inferred police overreaction, simply from the number of police cars, or the equipment used, in hindsight, not from any personal knowledge of the situation. I agree with Mr. Culver about having enough personnel available to handle the situation, particularly, if it evolves beyond what is immediately observed. The important thing is to make sure that the situation does not get worse. Clearly, they had paramedics on hand, ready to render assistance, no one was injured and Mr. Amofah got to treatment. While it we should continue to work to develop a protocol which would allow different approaches while maintaining safety for all involved, we need to work with the tools we already have and use them wisely. All in all, the outcome here would seem to be positive.
April 30, 2019, 10:11 am
Joe from Greenpoint says:
Too bad
April 30, 2019, 10:30 am

Comments closed.

First name
Last name
Your neighborhood
Email address
Daytime phone

Your letter must be signed and include all of the information requested above. (Only your name and neighborhood are published with the letter.) Letters should be as brief as possible; while they may discuss any topic of interest to our readers, priority will be given to letters that relate to stories covered by The Brooklyn Paper.

Letters will be edited at the sole discretion of the editor, may be published in whole or part in any media, and upon publication become the property of The Brooklyn Paper. The earlier in the week you send your letter, the better.

Keep it local!

Stay in touch with your community. Subscribe to our free newsletter: