This fight ended with a slap on the wrist.
Celebrity brawler Conor McGregor struck a sweetheart deal with District Attorney Eric Gonzalez that let the Ultimate Fighting Championship athlete walk away with a clean record after an April scuffle outside the Barclays Center in which he injured two other athletes and a security guard.
“I’m thankful to the DA and the judge for allowing me to move forward,” McGregor said following his Thursday sentencing. “I want to say thanks to my friends, my family, my fans, thank you for your support.”
The Irish mixed-martial artist pled guilty to a disorderly-conduct violation before a Criminal Court judge, who subsequently sentenced him to five days of community service and anger-management classes, in exchange for the top prosecutor dropping all felony assault charges against him, according to Gonzalez’s spokesman.
McGregor turned himself in to cops at the 78th Precinct earlier this year after he hurled a metal hand truck at a bus outside the Prospect Heights venue, shattering glass that cut fellow fighters Michael Chiesa and Raymond Borg, all of whom were in town for an Ultimate Fighting Championship event.
The “notorious” athlete then demonstrated his superior striking ability on an arena security guard, hitting him in the face with a few well-placed jabs.
McGregor walked free 24-hours later after posting his $50,000 bail, but the day after that, the fighting league’s former lightweight champion lost his belt to rival athlete Khabib Nurmagomedov after Nurmagomedov defeated another brawler to claim the title.
The plea deal also allows the star of the 2017 documentary “Conor McGregor: Notorious” to travel freely in and out of the country, according to the district attorney’s office.
And that’s a good thing, because McGregor — who still holds an Ultimate Fighting Championship record as its only competitor to win the light- and featherweight belts in his career — is now returning his attention to the fighting-league, according to his manager, who told ESPN his client looks forward to talking with bigwigs about how the Brooklyn brawl and its fallout will affect his status with the organization.
“We’re going to get back to talking with them, we’ve had some communication in the last few weeks. Everybody wants to get back to the good old days,” Audie Attar said.