Sections

Halfway house not all-the-way dead

Wholly against it: Assemblywoman Helene Weinstein and Councilman Alan Maisel talk about how to fight the halfway house proposal.
Brooklyn Daily
Share on TwitterTweet
Share on Facebook
Subscribe

Don’t miss our updates:

It may not be over yet.

Local pols are crowing that the Feds are backing off from a plan to build a halfway house in a derelict Bragg Street synagogue, but the Federal Bureau of Prisons says the plan could still happen. Electeds are already claiming victory.

“What great news for the community to start the New Year, that there will be no halfway house on Bragg Street. I join the many who signed the petition, and who were vocal in making the community’s opposition known, in celebrating and thanking the Bureau of Prisons for making this decision,” said state Sen. Marty Golden in an e-mailed statement that has appeared in local media.

The only hitch is, the Federal Bureau of Prisons cannot confirm the deal is actually off the table, according to a spokesman from the agency.

“The Bureau of Prisons has not made any decisions regarding the Brooklyn, New York, Residential Reentry Center solicitati­on,” said rep Justin Long. “This solicitation is considered active, and the Bureau can not comment on locations or potential offerors per the Federal Acquisition Regulation.”

Washington-based Rever Corporation filed an application last year to turn the shuttered Beth Aaron Synagogue between Avenues V and W into a halfway house for about 100 well-behaved cons to serve out the last days of their sentences as they transition back into society.

Area pols including Golden, Councilman Alan Maisel (D–Marine Park), and Assemblywoman Helene Weinstein (D-Sheepshead Bay) vowed to block the proposal because the house would be too close to schools and parks. And they thought they were successful — but they are all getting their information from the owner of the derelict synagogue, not the Feds, according to Maisel.

“The person in charge of the synagogue told me it was withdrawn,” he said. “[The Federal Bureau of Prisons] don’t tell us anything.”

But a rep from the company that owns the synagogue said the pols told him the halfway house was all done.

“I don’t have any relationship with anything except what the politicians say,” said Sam Sorsch, who answered the phone number listed for Bronx Jewish Boys, which owns the synagogue.

Rever Corporation did not respond to requests for comment.

Reach reporter Julianne Cuba at (718) 260–4577 or by e-mail at jcuba@cnglocal.com. Follow her on Twitter @julcuba.
Updated 11:48 am, January 16, 2019
Today’s news:
Share on TwitterTweet
Share on Facebook
Subscribe

Don’t miss our updates:


Reasonable discourse

Comments closed.

First name
Last name
Your neighborhood
Email address
Daytime phone

Your letter must be signed and include all of the information requested above. (Only your name and neighborhood are published with the letter.) Letters should be as brief as possible; while they may discuss any topic of interest to our readers, priority will be given to letters that relate to stories covered by The Brooklyn Paper.

Letters will be edited at the sole discretion of the editor, may be published in whole or part in any media, and upon publication become the property of The Brooklyn Paper. The earlier in the week you send your letter, the better.

Keep it local!

Stay in touch with your community. Subscribe to our free newsletter: