Sections

Shelf life: Navy Yard Wegmans to open in 2018

Ahoy there: Plans for the Wegmans and other new buildings along Admiral’s Row.
Brooklyn Paper
Share on TwitterTweet
Share on Facebook
Subscribe

Don’t miss our updates:

The developer of the hotly anticipated Wegmans in the Brooklyn Navy Yard filed plans for the building with the city last week in anticipation of the chain’s opening, but fans of cult supermarket will still have to wait until 2018 before it opens its doors, according to a spokesman for the Fort Greene industrial park.

Workers are knocking down all but two of the decrepit buildings on Admiral’s Row — a strip of historic houses along Flushing Avenue between Navy Street and N. Elliot Place where Naval officers lived when the area was a shipyard — to make way for the New York City’s first outlet of the upstate grocery empire.

Steiner New York City is planning to erect a five story building on the site — with Wegmans on the ground floor and a mezzanine level, and space for light manufacturing on subsequent stories — alongside a 246-space parking lot, according to plans it recently filed with the city.

The store will span just over a football field’s worth of space, snatching the title of the borough’s largest food emporium from the Whole Foods Market in Gowanus.

Steiner also recently filed plans for several retail stores along Admiral’s Row.

Preservationists fought for years to spare the once grand naval homes from the wrecking ball, but others argued the grocery store would provide food and jobs for locals, especially people living in the nearby Ingersoll, Whitman, and Faragutt houses.

The city and National Guard — which last owned the buildings — made a compromise in 2009 to spare two of the houses and raze the rest for development.

Developer Aaron Malinsky then signed on to build a Shop Rite supermarket on the site, but the Navy Yard gave him a dishonorable discharge in 2011 when he was arrested in a bribery scandal alongside state Sen. Carl Kruger (D–Mill Basin).

Steiner — which owns a massive movie studio at the Navy Yard — and Wegmans then signed on last year.

Reach reporter Lauren Gill at lgill@cnglocal.com or by calling (718) 260–2511. Follow her on Twitter @laurenk_gill
Updated 10:17 pm, July 9, 2018
Today’s news:
Share on TwitterTweet
Share on Facebook
Subscribe

Don’t miss our updates:


Reasonable discourse

Michael from Bay Ridge says:
Don't tear them down! Tear down any awful building there, not these beautiful historic homes!
Seriously, open your supermarket in Windsor Terrace, where they need one. Or in the Atlantic mall or something. Don't tear down these houses!
June 21, 2016, 6:29 am
Rufus Leaking from BH says:
Whhheeee! if a historic building gets in the way of your plans just get Warren Wilhelm, Jr. on the bribe list and it goes away!

Silly landmarks Commission! Nobody really misses Penn Station!
June 21, 2016, 10:49 am
BrooklynGersh from The WT says:
There is no reason for this delay. None at all.
June 21, 2016, 10:57 am
A. Johnson from Ridgewood says:
This is suspicious.
June 21, 2016, 7:50 pm
Preston from Brooklyn Heights says:
I am not a crank
June 22, 2016, 9:41 am

Comments closed.

First name
Last name
Your neighborhood
Email address
Daytime phone

Your letter must be signed and include all of the information requested above. (Only your name and neighborhood are published with the letter.) Letters should be as brief as possible; while they may discuss any topic of interest to our readers, priority will be given to letters that relate to stories covered by The Brooklyn Paper.

Letters will be edited at the sole discretion of the editor, may be published in whole or part in any media, and upon publication become the property of The Brooklyn Paper. The earlier in the week you send your letter, the better.

Keep it local!

Stay in touch with your community. Subscribe to our free newsletter: