Bungling burglars leave evidence in their wake

Brooklyn Paper
Share on TwitterTweet
Share on Facebook

Don’t miss our updates:

68th Precinct

Bay Ridge—Dyker Heights

Not a professional job

Three bungling bandits made a mess of breaking into a 62nd Street home on April 7, according to police.

The homeowner left the home between 13th and 14th avenues around 3:30 pm and returned the next day at 4:40 pm to find a bloody scene left behind by the burglars. As they tried — and failed — to break in through a side door, they cut themselves on the glass, leaving the trail of DNA evidence behind them, police said.

The oafs then smashed a window and finally broke the front door lock to get in, police said. They stole an air conditioner, an aluminum awning, and an aluminum storm door before leaving, according to a report.

Professional job

A pair of sneaks broke into a Third Avenue restaurant sometime overnight on April 9 and got away with a hefty take, police said.

A manager opened up the eatery near 76th Street the next day around 7:15 am and found all the cash drawers missing from the registers and the door to the basement office forced open.

Police discovered the thieves broke in through a window, which a tape from a surveillance video later confirmed. The intruders also forced open a safe in the office and stole cash stashed there. They made off with $21,000 and jewelry, according to police.

Shots fired

Cops arrested a man who they say shot bullets into the air while driving down 12th Avenue on April 8, according to a police report.

Police say a witness saw the suspect fire a round with a .357 magnum revolver from his Chevrolet Tahoe sports utility vehicle near 66th Street around 10 pm and called the police, who caught up with the suspect not long after and cuffed him.

The trend continues

Tire and rim thieves struck twice near and on 90th Street on April 3, according to police.

One victim parked his Honda — a popular target among the thieves — between Dahlgren Place and Battery Avenue around 6 pm and came back 12 hours to find his set of four tires and rims gone.

The other driver parked only a couple blocks away near Seventh Avenue around 9:30 pm and returned in the morning to find he suffered the same fate, according to police.

— Dennis Lynch

Updated 10:17 pm, July 9, 2018
Today’s news:
Share on TwitterTweet
Share on Facebook

Don’t miss our updates:

Reasonable discourse

Comments closed.

First name
Last name
Your neighborhood
Email address
Daytime phone

Your letter must be signed and include all of the information requested above. (Only your name and neighborhood are published with the letter.) Letters should be as brief as possible; while they may discuss any topic of interest to our readers, priority will be given to letters that relate to stories covered by The Brooklyn Paper.

Letters will be edited at the sole discretion of the editor, may be published in whole or part in any media, and upon publication become the property of The Brooklyn Paper. The earlier in the week you send your letter, the better.

Keep it local!

Stay in touch with your community. Subscribe to our free newsletter: