Get it while it’s hot!
Legendary Midwood pizzeria Di Fara will remain open — despite rumors its landlord plans to sell the building. Owners put the building on the block for $4 million last week, food blog Eater reported on April 7. But workers at the half-century-old pizza palace said the listing was “premature” and has since has since been taken down, leaving open the possibility for a sale in the future. The restaurant may be safe for now, but fans of Di Fara’s world-famous ‘za are bracing for the day that septuagenarian founder Dom DeMarco — the store’s lone pizza-maker — hangs up his apron and paddle.
“Di Fara is an institution,” said Manhattanite Sanjay, who stopped Avenue J pie house the day after reports the building was for sale. “There’s respect here. I’ve flown from Dallas to New York before just to eat this pizza with friends. But it’s not going to exist forever, and I think New Yorkers are preparing for the day it closes. It’ll be devastating.”
DeMarco has owned and operated the shop since 1964. The store has garnered praise from celebrity chefs and food reviewers and routinely has lines form open to close. Pizza fanatics have had to go without before. The city health department has shuttered the spot for health violations — which DeMarco has said is “the only time I get to relax” — but the shop always bounces back.
Representatives from GFI Realty Services, which reportedly listed the building for sale, declined to comment. The building’s owners could not be reached.
— with Max Jaeger