Sections

City curbing Concord Street turn off Manhattan Bridge

City puts brakes on Manhattan Bridge exit that is so bad a family moved to Jersey to get away from it

Brooklyn Paper
Share on TwitterTweet
Share on Facebook
Subscribe

Don’t miss our updates:

What exit?

The city will finally curb a controversial decision to allow motorists careening off the Manhattan Bridge to turn onto a residential Downtown street at all hours of the day — a situation locals believed to be so dangerous, one made the heartbreaking decision to move to New Jersey after a truck barreling off the span almost mowed her kids down.

“Since that frightening incident happened to us we have decided to move out of the area,” said former Downtown resident turned Garden Stater Leah Rosen, who used to live near Concord Street — the treacherous stretch in question — on Nassau Street and had to cross the thoroughfare several times a day.

The transportation department says it will return the turn onto Concord Street to its previous opening hours of between 3 pm and 7 pm on weekdays starting next month, after making it a 24-hour free-for-all in October last year.

Local residents had been demanding the transportation department reverse the all-hours turn since it was instated, arguing that it was only a matter of time before one of the drivers zooming off the span plowed into one of the thousands of kids who attend school along Concord Street.

The local community board voted in January to rescind its approval of the perilous traffic pattern after hearing their pleas — and extensive video evidence — with members saying they made a mistake in endorsing it in the first place.

Transportation officials then visited site in January, but originally opted only to replace the stop sign at the bridge with a turn signal.

The neighborhood crusaders say they’re pleased the city has now listened to their appeal and changed its decision.

“It’s a step in the right direction,” said Juan Salazar, who fought tirelessly against the 24-hour turn, writing to officials and attending every Community Board 2 transportation committee meeting since it was introduced.

Salazar says he would still like to see the city do something to keep large trucks and buses from turning down Concord Street, as it is designated for local deliveries only, but he realizes that is more of an enforcement issue.

Reach reporter Lauren Gill at lgill@cnglocal.com or by calling (718) 260–2511. Follow her on Twitter @laurenk_gill
Updated 10:17 pm, July 9, 2018
Today’s news:
Share on TwitterTweet
Share on Facebook
Subscribe

Don’t miss our updates:


Reasonable discourse

Comments closed.

First name
Last name
Your neighborhood
Email address
Daytime phone

Your letter must be signed and include all of the information requested above. (Only your name and neighborhood are published with the letter.) Letters should be as brief as possible; while they may discuss any topic of interest to our readers, priority will be given to letters that relate to stories covered by The Brooklyn Paper.

Letters will be edited at the sole discretion of the editor, may be published in whole or part in any media, and upon publication become the property of The Brooklyn Paper. The earlier in the week you send your letter, the better.

Keep it local!

Stay in touch with your community. Subscribe to our free newsletter: