Sections

Dead in the water: City-state disagreement killing storm resiliency project

Brooklyn Daily
Share on TwitterTweet
Share on Facebook
Subscribe

Don’t miss our updates:

Is it money down the drain?

Officials must make good on state-funded coastal resiliency projects promised in the wake of Hurricane Sandy, locals are demanding. Residents griped to city reps for failing to enact major sewer and flood-barrier projects following the historic storm at a Manhattan Beach Community Group meeting on Feb. 24. The mayor’s office is more interested in building a streetcar in gentrifying Brooklyn than pushing forward resiliency improvements locals have demanded, such as a tidal barrier on Plumb Beach and sewer backflow-prevention valves for homes, one frustrated Manhattan Beach man said.

“You don’t need a trolley line — spend the money here,” shouted the resident, who declined to give his name. “What they’ve done in many places where literally you have to build a [flood] barrier. For starters, we need a very low-tech situation — it’s called a check valve.”

Residents demanded major infrastructure improvements, but Manhattan and Albany can’t even agree on small projects, such as some sidewalk planters locals picked for a state-funded storm redevelopment grant. Community members selected the $500,000 project — which includes planters and drainage improvements on Emmons Avenue — as part of the state’s New York Rising program, which allocated $13.3 million to Sheepshead Bay and Gerritsen Beach for storm resiliency in March 2014. But locals have seen bupkis in the two years since, an area leader said.

“All of this money, we have not seen anything proceed,” said Community Board 15 chairwoman Theresa Scavo, who also sat on the state-impaneled committee that dreamed up the street-scaping. “We specifically allocated funding for plantings. It should be a no-brainer — go out on Emmons Avenue and do the planting — but we have not seen anything done.”

Citizens created the plan — which includes planters called “bioswales” that feature water-hungry plants and additional sewer drains — and the state signed off on it, but the city’s Department of Environmental protection put the kibosh on the project because it is too small —and now the story is on indefinite hold, a state representative said.

“As it stands now, the funds allotted to it in the planning process, it would fund 12 bioswales, and it wouldn’t have an effective impact,” the regional head of the Governor’s office’s New York Rising program Chelsea Muller told this paper.

The news really riled Scavo, who found out the project was on hold after a reporter from the Bay News called seeking additional comment.

“Unbelievab­le, absolutely unbelievab­le,” she said. “The amount of time that we put into this committee — and this is what we get out if it? There were professionals at the meetings that stated it would be a great idea. Pathetic.”

Reach reporter Julianne Cuba at (718) 260–4577 or by e-mail at jcuba@cnglocal.com. Follow her on Twitter @julcuba.
Updated 11:48 am, January 16, 2019
Today’s news:
Share on TwitterTweet
Share on Facebook
Subscribe

Don’t miss our updates:


Reasonable discourse

Comments closed.

First name
Last name
Your neighborhood
Email address
Daytime phone

Your letter must be signed and include all of the information requested above. (Only your name and neighborhood are published with the letter.) Letters should be as brief as possible; while they may discuss any topic of interest to our readers, priority will be given to letters that relate to stories covered by The Brooklyn Paper.

Letters will be edited at the sole discretion of the editor, may be published in whole or part in any media, and upon publication become the property of The Brooklyn Paper. The earlier in the week you send your letter, the better.

Keep it local!

Stay in touch with your community. Subscribe to our free newsletter: