Sections

Theater lobby: More protests planned for Slave before demolition

The Brooklyn Paper
Share on TwitterTweet
Share on Facebook
Subscribe

Don’t miss our updates:

It looks like curtains for this theater, but the drama isn’t over yet.

The new owner of Bedford-Stuyvesant’s Slave Theater plans to demolish the historic building, but a father-son duo who have long claimed to be the property’s rightful proprietors say they will fight to keep it standing until the wrecking ball swings.

Clarence Hardy — a friend of the Slave’s former owner, the late judge John Phillips — staged a dramatic protest from the theater’s second-floor marquee last Friday, days after developer Jacob Hamway filed an application to demolish the Fulton Street building on Dec. 2. And his son says they’ll be back this Saturday to rally again.

“As Mr. Phillips said, we never quit a fight or die a loser,” said Omar Hardy, whose 81-year-old dad’s protest led police to close off Fulton Street as he stood atop the theater.

Clarence Hardy worked with Phillips after the former Brooklyn Civil Court judge — known as the “kung fu judge” — bought the building once known as the Regal Theater in 1984 and turned it into a hub for civil rights activity where Al Sharpton regularly held court.

The theater fell into disrepair after then-District Attorney Charles Hynes had Hardy declared “mentally incompetent” and confined to a nursing home, and when Phillips died in 2008 — leaving no will — the property was passed on to his nephew Samuel Boykin.

The Hardeys unsuccessfully challenged Boykin’s right to the theater in court, claiming they bought the building from Phillips prior to his death and that Boykin’s deed is fraudulent, but continued living — squatting, Boykin says — in the dilapidated theater for several years.

Boykin claims he wanted to sell the building to a community group, but the Hardeys’ refusal to leave thwarted his efforts, so he instead sold to developer Yossi Ariel in 2013 — who in turn sold it and two neighboring properties to Hamway for $18.5 million.

Boykin said it is a shame the theater will disappear, but his sale was necessary and legal.

“We are saddened by the fact that the building will not remain a theater and in community service,” he said. “My family is extremely saddened by that, but at this point there’s nothing we can do.”

Hamway has not filed building permits, but current zoning would allow him to build residential tower of up to around 10 stories with retail or a community facility on the ground floor.

But the Hardeys aren’t bowing out yet. In addition to the planned protest on Saturday, they are demanding District Attorney Ken Thompson — who unseated Hynes in 2013 — rescind the deed and save the Slave.

The family launched an online petition directed at Thompson following the latest sale that has garnered 115 digital John Hancocks so far.

Reach reporter Allegra Hobbs at ahobbs@cnglocal.com or by calling (718) 260–8312.
Updated 10:17 pm, July 9, 2018
Today’s news:
Share on TwitterTweet
Share on Facebook
Subscribe

Don’t miss our updates:


Reasonable discourse

Manquisha Jackson from Black says:
Does these people know we ain't been slaves for a long time?!?! Dis racist!
Dec. 14, 2015, 4:53 am
BrooklynSandy from Ft Greene says:
The Slave Theater...the new owner Hamway who has squeezed out artists' in his Gowanis development property...the abject failure to mete out justice for those 123 who were evicted along with those who died at the Prospect Park Residence where Judge Phillips died in an illegal nursing home...is the perfect symbol of our ethical failures and our electeds' failures.

Judge Phillips has yet to have had the justice that DA Thompson promised would be looked into when he ran.

The outrageous scam that was perpetrated on this accomplished and wealthy man by Hynes and his schemes and then abetted by the misrepresentations of the Prospect Park Residence with its phony dementia unit...have yet to be appropriately dealt with by those avowing their role as protectors of the public.

Nothing predicts future behavior as much as past impunity...perhaps DA Thompson will step up to this omission?
Dec. 14, 2015, 6:01 pm
Jspech from BedStuy says:
I grew up & still live in Bed-Stuy. Saw first movie by myself at the Regent Theater. I never liked the name Slave Theater. Will be happy to see the name taken down but not the theater
Dec. 16, 2015, 9:19 am

Comments closed.

First name
Last name
Your neighborhood
Email address
Daytime phone

Your letter must be signed and include all of the information requested above. (Only your name and neighborhood are published with the letter.) Letters should be as brief as possible; while they may discuss any topic of interest to our readers, priority will be given to letters that relate to stories covered by The Brooklyn Paper.

Letters will be edited at the sole discretion of the editor, may be published in whole or part in any media, and upon publication become the property of The Brooklyn Paper. The earlier in the week you send your letter, the better.

Keep it local!

Stay in touch with your community. Subscribe to our free newsletter: