✔ Poll

Poll: What do you think of the Islanders’ new Brooklyn jersey?

for The Brooklyn Paper

Photo gallery

1/5
A fashion icon: Up close with the new Islanders jersey.
2/5
I’m just wearing my new look: The Nets-ish new Islanders’ jersey.
3/5
I’m a hand model, mama: Do you love these gloves?
4/5
Really, really, ridiculously good looking?: The Islanders’ new helmet gets a Nets-esque makeover.
5/5
So hot right now: Islanders captain John Tavares models the new duds.

The Islanders unveiled a new Brooklyn-themed jersey on Wednesday to honor the team’s move to Barclays Center — and it is suspiciously similar to the colors of that other professional sports team that calls the center home.

What do you think? Have your say below!

Reader poll

What do you think?

Updated 10:17 pm, July 9, 2018

joey from clinton hills says:
it's their 3rd uniform...they are only wearing it 12 times this year. (or something like that.) They will usually wear the blue, orange and white home and away colors.
Sept. 16, 2015, 2:46 pm
John Wasserman from Prospect Heights says:
The drawings here are quite nice-I must admit. I have just one suggestion, and here's hoping you'll pardon it:
If all of these jerseys look exactly like this one, it's going to be very confusing to the listeners, the other teams, the announcers, and even for the Islanders themselves.
I suggest that each Jersey has its own "unique" number and name painted onto it, instead of the whole team skating around with number 91 and the name "Tavares" on their shirts.
It's hard for even your own John Wasserman to believe that this detail slipped through the system like this.
Pardon the interruption.
John Wasserman
Sept. 16, 2015, 4:29 pm
Jay from NYC says:
I think Potvin STILL sucks, GO RANGERS!!!!
Sept. 16, 2015, 5:44 pm
Sean F from Bensonhurst says:
There are definitely categories of response between "I love it" and "I hate it".

I like the "Bklyn" on the helmet.
I like the tribute to Al Arbour.

I don't like the idea of the Isles skating around in Penguin colors. But, if it's only a few times per year, I guess I can accept it, the way I have to accept MLB players wearing camo a few times per year.
Sept. 17, 2015, 12:10 pm
Mike from Williamsburg says:
I like the jersey, but I hate hockey.
Sept. 17, 2015, 12:17 pm
Tal Barzilai from Pleasantville, NY says:
If the team is still playing the same way, then wearing a different jersey will seem irrelevant. In the end it they will just be the same team wearing a different uniform. Pretty much, it will be like putting lipstick on a pig, because no matter how you dress it up, it's still a pig.
Sept. 17, 2015, 2:12 pm
Tyler from pps says:
Tal -- You know as much about hockey as you do about traffic engineering. And you do fart a lot. Probably why your mom makes you stay in the basement.
Sept. 17, 2015, 3:22 pm
Tal Barzilai from Pleasantville, NY says:
Tyler, that probably explains why you tend to impersonate me a lot considering that you agree with what that faker just said.
Sept. 17, 2015, 4:49 pm
jay from nyc says:
Tal probably thinks his tax dollars support Canadian hockey teams.........and he is mad that the traffic lights are interfering with pedestrians following the rules which is all part of a Hamas plot to slow traffic down.
Sept. 17, 2015, 8:18 pm
Tal Barzilai from Pleasantville, NY says:
Tyler, I can't stop farting because hot pockets make me gassy.
Sept. 18, 2015, 9:17 am
Tal Barzilai from Pleasantville, NY says:
Seriously, I can't understand why both jay and Tyler resort to such personal attacks and impersonations. Then again, they are probably so dumb that they make Sarah Palin feel like a genius. Nevertheless, I couldn't care less about the Islanders let alone the NHL as a whole as I'm not a hockey fan. The sports leagues I do follow are the NBA, WNBA, and MLB. Honestly, having a new design for jerseys isn't going to make a team automatically play better, which I feel is nothing more than a superstition. On a side note, I hope that the Mets and Liberty will go all the way this year considering how well they have been playing. Speaking of the Liberty, Bill Laimbeer, their head coach, was just named the 2015 WNBA Coach of the Year and it's his second time winning it and his first since 2003 when he was coach of the Detroit (now Tulsa) Shock.
Sept. 18, 2015, 2:33 pm
Cam from NY says:
Tal, The new islanders jersey is used as an alternate third jersey which the islanders will only end up wearing like what... 10 times a season? If you read a little bit more into the topic you should know that the islanders are trying to match as well as honor a Brooklyn type theme as they are moving into a new "barn"... For example, the Brooklyn Nets play at Barclays... What colors do they wear? Black... Therefore, wearing a New Jersey about 10 times a year in honor of another team and arena is not irrelevant. If anything it is promotional.
Sept. 18, 2015, 4:07 pm
Tal Barzilai from Pleasantville, NY says:
Cam, promotional or not, these jerseys are not a magic bullet for the Islanders. It's how they actually play that matters, not what they have on. Also, moving to a new arena doesn't mean the team will play better either. Just last season the Nets, who I still felt shouldn't have moved to Brooklyn, almost didn't make the playoffs, which shows all of this doesn't help them. On a side note, the only reason the Nets did make the playoffs on their first season playing there had more to do with them playing better, not the location or the jerseys, which I still find to be nothing but superstitious. Then again, some always need something to believe it's good luck for them.
Sept. 19, 2015, 2:51 pm