A fire broke out over the weekend in the basement of New York Methodist Hospital in Park Slope, causing a lot of panic, but no injuries.
The blaze broke out at 11:15 am Saturday in the trash chute, sparked by soldering during repairs. The fire department was on the scene within three minutes and dispatched 25 units and a total of 105 firefighters, according to the department.
Smoke from the flames traveled up from the basement to higher floors, but a fire department spokesman confirmed that the fire was immediately contained and extinguished.
The building was evacuated for safety, and a few employees were checked and evaluated at the scene for smoke inhalation, but no injuries were reported.
The fire was contained to the chute, but the hospital confirmed that there was smoke and water damage that is currently being assessed, and repairs are expected to take several days to complete.