A fire broke out over the weekend in the basement of New York Methodist Hospital in Park Slope, causing a lot of panic, but no injuries.
The blaze broke out at 11:15 am Saturday in the trash chute, sparked by soldering during repairs. The fire department was on the scene within three minutes and dispatched 25 units and a total of 105 firefighters, according to the department.
Smoke from the flames traveled up from the basement to higher floors, but a fire department spokesman confirmed that the fire was immediately contained and extinguished.
The building was evacuated for safety, and a few employees were checked and evaluated at the scene for smoke inhalation, but no injuries were reported.
The fire was contained to the chute, but the hospital confirmed that there was smoke and water damage that is currently being assessed, and repairs are expected to take several days to complete.
©2015 Community News Group
By submitting this comment, you agree to the following terms:
You agree that you, and not BrooklynPaper.com or its affiliates, are fully responsible for the content that you post. You agree not to post any abusive, obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful, threatening or sexually-oriented material or any material that may violate applicable law; doing so may lead to the removal of your post and to your being permanently banned from posting to the site. You grant to BrooklynPaper.com the royalty-free, irrevocable, perpetual and fully sublicensable license to use, reproduce, modify, adapt, publish, translate, create derivative works from, distribute, perform and display such content in whole or in part world-wide and to incorporate it in other works in any form, media or technology now known or later developed.