Muslim persecution of Christians and Jews is the silent topic of our age. Nine of the top-10 nations for Christian bashing have Muslim-majority populations, while Palestinian children are taught to kill Jews and revile them as “barbaric monkeys” and “wretched pigs.”
But the atrocities have not stopped Pope Francis from pledging allegiance to a future “state of Palestine” and tooting Palestinian Authority president Mahmoud Abbas as “an angel of peace”
The pontiff’s ra-ra-Muslim-boom-ba routine ignores the facts and common decency:
• The persecution of Palestinians is a myth spun by Arabs, Muslims, anti-Semites, and lefties.
• The Arab-Israel conflict continues to fester because of an Arab aversion to a Jewish state in the Middle East, and a pattern of behavior repeated more than 30 times in the past 70 years — Arabs battle with Israelis, Israelis conquer them and extend an olive branch to no avail.
• Unpatriotic Arabs failed to establish a Palestinian state in the West Bank and Gaza from 1948 to 1967 — when there were no Jewish settlements there — but they developed a sudden, burning desire for statehood after Jews took control of both territories during the Six-Day War. Hmmm.
• Trouble-making Palestinians fired more than 15,200 rockets into Israel since 2001, according to Israeli Defense Forces — an average of three a day, 11,000 of them since Israel withdrew from the Gaza Strip in 2005 — but they turn to Israel for humanitarian aid above their own lame leaders; 219,464 Palestinian patients received medical treatment in Israeli hospitals in 2012, 21,270 of them children.
• Abbas — also known as Abu Mazen — is lionized as a peace-loving moderate, but he was involved in the hostage takeover at the 1972 Munich Olympics that resulted in the deaths of 11 Israeli athletes.
Pope Francis would do better to raise an urgent global conversation about the repugnant sensibilities that inspire Palestinian children to hate Jews, admire martyrs, and support jihad, instead of trying to ratify them with politically correct pap.
Follow me on Twitter @BritShavana