Hurray for borough son Juan Lopez, a steamfitter with local 638 who was honored by the New York Building Construction Trades for going above and beyond the call of duty.
With no regard of his own safety, our pal Juan rushed to the aid of four of New York’s Finest on March 25, when their cruiser was involved in an accident and the four sustained serious injuries. Juan traded his tool belt for his superhero utility belt and pulled out one officer who was trapped in the burning vehicle and made sure the other three were safely away.
Like all superheroes, Juan was self-depreciating about his heroism, saying: “That night, I did what anyone else would have done. People were clearly in need of help, and I could give it to them. It was as simple as that.”
Juan, a 2010 graduate of the pre-apprenticeship Construction Skills program and a fifth-year apprentice steamfitter, said all the reward he needs he’s already gotten through the skills program, saying: “Without the Construction Skills program’s help, I would have never been in touch with Steamfitters Local 638, which provided me with the teachers and support to really build a career and provide a better tomorrow for myself and my family. I’m very thankful.”
Richard Roberts, the business agent at large for the Enterprise Association of Steamfitters Local 638 said, “The man being awarded tonight is a stellar apprentice and a hero. He is an extraordinary and humble young man.”
Standing O thinks so too!
• • •
Don’t fall behind, check those carbon monoxide detectors, that’s what our pals at National Grid remind us at the end of Daylight Saving Time, when clocks are set back and thermostats start being turned up. Ken Daily, president of the utility says, “The safety of the public is our priority. Taking proper safety precautions now can prevent senseless tragedies from occurring in the months ahead.”
Carbon monoxide is an invisible, odorless gas that can be deadly if left undetected. Poisoning symptoms are similar to those of the flu, and include headaches, weakness, confusion, chest tightness, skin redness, dizziness, and sleepiness.
He suggests you install a government-approved home carbon monoxide detector on every floor of your home, arrange for an annual check of your heating system, check chimneys or flues for debris or other blockages, and be sure that space heaters and wood stoves are in good working condition, have adequate ventilation, and are used in compliance with the manufacturers’ instructions.
If you suspect carbon monoxide in your home, leave immediately and call 911 first. You can also call Metro NY at (718) 643–4050.
The Wildlife Conservation Society’s Prospect Park Zoo is now accepting applications for its adult docent program. The program is open to individuals 18 years and older who will work with the zoo’s education department to give tours, interpret exhibits, interact with visitors and narrate the daily sea lion demonstrations. Those interested may call (718) 399–7339 X 325 or e-mail ppzvolunteer@wcsorg. Applications and additional information may be downloaded at www.prospe
Congratulations to local artist Erle Tompkins, whose painting of the Metaluna Mutant from the movie “This Island Earth” was featured in an art show held at the Irish Haven Bar. This was the first official art show for our pal Erle, and wouldn’t you know it, his painting was purchased by none other than Robert Melina, a collector with impeccable taste, who just happened to have the costume from that movie in his personal collection.
Standing O wishes Erle many more successful showings.
Irish Haven Bar [5721 Fourth Ave. at 58th Street in Bay Ridge, (718) 439–9893]
The goombah with the mostest Steve Schirripa is sharing his mother’s recipe for the best tomato sauce this side of the boot and giving out his secret family recipe for Eggplant Parmigiana at the Fairway Market in Red Hook on Nov. 8, from noon to 2 pm.
Standing O is giving you an offer you can’t refuse. Come on down and meet the man himself, pick up a jar of his sauce and get the lowdown on the goods.
Fairway Market [480-500 Van Brunt St. at Reed Street in Red Hook, (718) 254–0923].