A gunman robbed a Downtown Chipotle early on Saturday morning, police said.
The armed robber struck the supposedly Mexican chain restaurant on Oct. 11, forcing employees to open a safe and making off with $12,000 in cash, cops said.
A 19-year-old worker at the restaurant on the Myrtle Avenue Promenade between Lawrence and Jay streets told officers the bandit barged in at 7:22 am, leveled the piece at her, and barked, “Walk with me.”
The two went to a back room where a 26-year-old employee was working, and the desperado turned his weapon on the man and forced him to open the safe, according to a police report.
The crook took the cash and ordered the two workers to crawl under the desk, the report says. A third employee, 20, saw what was happening as he was entering the restaurant and ran out to find help, the authorities reported. By the time he returned with a police officer, the culprit was gone, cops said.
Chipotle was founded in 1993 by a Californian and touts the virtues of its fresh ingredients and free-range meats.
The Chipotle occupies a space that previously housed a Chinese restaurant referred to by employees of this paper, the offices of which are upstairs, as “worst-case scenario.”
The eatery is approximately 200 feet from a MetroTech Center security office.