Close your windows and bring the kids indoors tonight — Southern Brooklyn is getting sprayed.
The Department of Health and Mental Hygiene will be spraying the pesticide Anvil 10+10 this evening and overnight to kill mosquitoes and lower the risk of the West Nile Virus in sections of Bergen Beach, Flatbush, Flatlands, Marine Park, Midwood, Mill Basin, and Mill Island between 8:15 pm on Aug. 21 and 6 am on Aug. 22.
The department said it will use a very low concentration of the pesticide, which it says poses no significant risks to human health when used properly. But the department does recommend that people stay inside during the spraying.
Here are some other spraying-safety tips from the Health Department:
• People with asthma should stay inside during the spray
• If the air conditioner stays on, close the vent or set it to the re-circulate function
• Bring inside any possessions that are outside — including outdoor furniture or equipment
• If any objects are left outside, wash them with soap and water before use
• Wash anything exposed to the spray — skin, clothing, produce — with soap and water
If there is bad weather on Aug. 21, the department will spray between 8:15 pm on Aug. 22 and 6 am on Aug. 23.