Kegs and Kluckers at Brooklyn Brewery

Fowl play! Brewery celebrates beer-loving chickens

Which came first — the chicken or the keg?

A Brooklyn-centric celebration of the symbiotic relationship between chicken keepers and home brewers is coming to Brooklyn Brewery, where participants will revel in the odd fact that beer can help make omelettes.

“We are trying to foster more connections and close loops in the food system,” said Robin Burger, events manager at local edibles advocacy group Just Food, which has dubbed the event Kegs and Kluckers.

Frosty beer and frittatas are connected because the spent barley and grain used in the beer-making process is the perfect snack for our fine feathered friends. But, too often, said Burger, brewers throw the grain out and it goes to waste.

“It is something not everyone knows about, and we are trying to change that,” said Burger. “Chicken keeping and home brewing are two things everyone loves, so they are usually receptive to hearing how they can help.”

The event is a fund-raiser aimed at supporting Just Food’s City Chicken Campaign, where the group helps schools, community gardens, and other groups establish chicken coops.

The party will include tastings from restaurants including Urban Rustic, 508 Gastrobrewery, and Saltie. There will also be an “egg Olympics” with events such as an egg toss, an egg relay, and a deviled egg making competition. And, of course, there will be plenty of beer consumption, courtesy of Brooklyn Brewery and a smattering of homebrewers.

Kegs and Kluckers at the Brooklyn Brewery (79 N. 11th Street between Berry Street and Wythe Avenue in Williamsburg, www.justfood.org). July 14 at 7:30 pm. $25.

Reach reporter Danielle Furfaro at dfurfaro@cnglocal.com or by calling (718) 260-2511. Follow her at twitter.com/DanielleFurfaro.
Updated 10:17 pm, July 9, 2018

Mel from Gibsonville says:
What? Nothing from the "Dag nabbit Hipsters" bunch? Is it bingo, yahtzee, or bowling today, cause you must be busy!
July 10, 2014, 10:40 am
John Wasserman from Prospect Heights says:
And to think that in some countries, these animals are a delicacy!
Pardon the interruption.
John Wasserman/Patriot/J-Wass Roofing, Storm Door & Airline
July 10, 2014, 4:29 pm
SwampYankee from runined Brooklyn says:
Very Good Mel......admitting Brooklyn has a problem is half the battle. Congratulations on recognizing hipster antics without my help. By next year I hope to have you stopping your bicycle at all red lights.
July 10, 2014, 4:55 pm
Swampy --
When will you have all of the "real Brooklyn" motorists stopping at all red lights? Is that Phase 2 or?
July 11, 2014, 7:40 am
bkmanhatman from nubrucklyn says:
Cant wait until they introduce chicken slaughter classes, then we can be like the real country.
July 11, 2014, 11:23 am
SwampYankee from runined Brooklyn says:
never ran a red light in my whole life. I rarely see drivers run red lights. Didn't say never, but rarely. Cyclists run red lights all the time. Go to any busy intersection in Brooklyn and sit for a couple of minutes. Did it today in front of MetroTech on Jay street. 4 red lights, 17 cyclists ran right through in 10 minutes. zero cars. stop making excuses and obey the law hipster
July 11, 2014, 3:53 pm
John Wasserman from Prospect Heights says:
If you don't mind me putting in my 2 cents, I'd like to say that I, John Wasserman, see cars running red lights several times a day, and in very populated places, such as Grand Army Plaza and Prospect Park. Now, I'm no mechanic, but in my opinion, these cars are much harder and heavier than these so-called bicycles.
Also, what happen to the fellow with arrows, as the above post could have "village idiot" with the arrows pointing upward? This is a man that goes and sits at intersections, mind you. I'm not sure I trust is ability to count either, if you don't mind my saying so.
Pardon the interruption.
John Wasserman/Patriot/Prospect Heights Resident
July 11, 2014, 5:17 pm
SwampYankee from ruined Brooklyn says:
Wasserman, I call ——. I drove through Grand Army Plaza twice today and there were 2 cops with radar guns checking speed. Are you telling me you see cars going through red lights there? 2 cops, radar guns, traffic circle, instant death if you run a light. I surely do think you are making things up. Didn't happen today. Oh and cars are heavier? DUHHHHHHHHH. Really, ya think? 2-3 million people commute by car each day and maybe 3k cyclists. We need the people that commute by car. Worst thing that can happen if a cyclist doesn't get to work is I don't get a funny face on the foam in my latte. Nice try hipster but I was there today and what you say did not happen.
July 11, 2014, 7:04 pm
The Chooch from The Bohemian Magic Show says:
Hey swampy, are you by any chance in the do-nothing city office that makes those pathetically disfunctional websites? I mean, are you only hiring HTML monkeys from tech school because they went to your high school? Will you PLEASE hire some Ivy League hipsters to put some design on those sites so I can pay my real estate taxes in two clicks the way I pay for everything else in the world. Sheesh.
July 12, 2014, 12:31 am
old time brooklyn from slope says:
I have lived in NYC all of my life and I have rarely seen anyone run a red light though I have never seen a biker stop at one.
July 12, 2014, 10:15 am
These "rarely seen anyone run a red light" folks are HILARIOUS! I see someone running a red light (often a 'stale' red light) probably 3 times a week, if not more on my 1-3/4 mile commute to and from work in the Flatbush/Midwood area. And I regularly see jerks racing down my own street and blowing through the stop sign, at speed.

But you can keep your fantasies alive. I know how many people cyclists kill each year... compared to the "rarely misbehaving" motorists. (The statistics for 2013 would be 33 pedestrians injured by a collision with a motor vehicle *every* day in NYC and someone killed every other day. There's an average of 557 motor vehicle crashed every day.)

**Note: I excluded cyclist injuries from the statistics above because, well, I'm assuming your ignorant little brains would retort, "If a cyclist is hurt, it was probably their fault."

Oh, and yeah... We *need* 3 million people commuting by car. We should clearly do everything in our power to no only reduce the likelihood of different modes of transportation, we should *encourage* more driving! Oh definitely. That would be great. No, in reality. Could you imagine if say, 20%, of these drivers were removed from the roads?! Can you fathom how much more efficiently goods and services could be delivered? Ya know, the things we *actually* need. I could probably do without the SwampYankees of the city commuting to work. I'm sure he could easily be replaced with someone walking to work.
July 12, 2014, 11:43 am
By the way, Swampy... the Citibike system alone is clocking in 30,000 trips per day on a typical weekday.

And according to the U.S. Census and the DOT, have shown that the number of people "regularly commuting by bicycle" basically doubled between 2007 and 2012. And it's still growing.

The U.S. Census reported over 36,000 people use a bicycle as their primary mode of transportation for commuting. And local estimates of the typical number of cyclists on the roadways during a day is much much higher... 150,000 to 250,000. (I'll explain that for you Swampy by way of example. I don't take the subway often for work, but if I need to go to Manhattan for meetings, I do. So the ridership numbers for the subway are higher than "primary mode" numbers.)

You should try riding a bike some time.
July 12, 2014, 11:57 am
Oh... Now that I'm thinking about it. I probably should be driving to Grand Central, because the city *needs* me to drive. I never thought about it that way.
July 12, 2014, 12:05 pm
pookie da lion from slip slope says:
whoa ty ty ty - dat bran muffin is calling you.

dat old time dude is correctomundo - I never seen a pedalphile stop for a red light and I was in Brooklyn while lots here were watching Batney in cup of coffee, ohio.
why does ty drive from his abode by the parade grounds to Flatbush - the area is well served by public transportation. you can make it to Brooklyn college from parkside in about 25 minutes.

mantra for ty - insult, scold, insult rinse and repeat. heroin od's have doubled too but dat don't make it a better fact jack
July 12, 2014, 2:03 pm
My bike is faster....
July 12, 2014, 2:20 pm
can we talk about chickens now?
July 12, 2014, 4:19 pm
old time brooklyn from slope says:
ty was it faster then mom's undies in snookies?
July 13, 2014, 7:28 pm
I wish I understood old man babble...
July 14, 2014, 8:03 am
JAZ from Hunting Redbeards says:

I see Robin is putting that degree in advanced hipsterspeak to good use.
July 14, 2014, 10:23 am
John Wasserman from Prospect Heights says:
To this Swamp chacter,
Almost every day, at Flatbush and Grand Army I see someone run a red light, coming from either direction.
At least 2 times a week coming from Flatbush in Grand Army at the Brooklyn Library (where there are crowds of people crossing the street). I have not seen anyone with radars there, since there are cameras that take pictures of the wrong doers, you moron (if you don't mind the insult).
July 14, 2014, 11:14 am