Window pain! Cop and teen crash through window of Downtown restaurant amid scuffle

A teen girl and a cop shattered the window of a Downtown Chinese restaurant during an altercation that left the youngster and her best friend in handcuffs last Thursday afternoon, cops and witnesses said.

The two 15-year-olds were hanging out with a group of friends at New China Star on Lawrence Street around 3:50 pm when two school safety agents walked in and a manager asked them to make all of the 15-20 rowdy kids inside leave, police reported.

One girl, a Queens high school student, told police that she was waiting for her food order and that she did not want to go, according to witnesses.

Her buddy, a scholar at Boys and Girls High School in Bedford-Stuyvesant, started to leave, but officers stopped her and began questioning her, said Ta Kim McCollum, who was ordering with the crew.

The officers yelled, “Get out,” according to witnesses, four times, according to authorities.

Two cops then threw the Brooklyn kid to the ground and started slamming her face on the floor, bloodying it, bystanders stated.

The Queens girl, enraged, tried to pull the male officers off of her chum and three other officers tackled her, then sat on her, according to a witness and intimate of the youngster.

“[The Queens teen] is my ex so I wanted to attack the cop but I didn’t,” the witness said. “I just stood there and cried.”

Two cops tried to lead the Queens girl out the door, witnesses said. She stopped near the front of the restaurant and they tried to shove her forward, but instead one smashed her into the picture window, shattering it, and tumbled into the falling glass after her, the witness and cops said.

Cops then led the girl, bloodied and dusted with broken glass, to a waiting police van.

“Where’d my best friend go?” the cuffed teen yelled, blood streaming down her face.

Officers followed with the best friend in tow, also cuffed.

The youths who remained were upset that the bloodied girl was held in the back of the van for 20 minutes while she screamed for medical attention.

“You’re f------ late,” McCollum yelled when an ambulance arrived after cops had driven her away.

The schoolgirl who crashed through the glass suffered gashes on her face and lower back and was treated at Kings County Hospital Center before cops released her, police stated.

Three officers were also injured in the melee, including one who was cut across his forehead and left eyelid and another who needed five stitches on his hand, according to cops.

Cops charged both girls with trespassing, criminal mischief, disorderly conduct, and resisting arrest and released them into their parents’ custody.

In an interview with the NYPD’s Internal Affairs Bureau, the injured girl admitted to refusing the cops’ initial orders and resisting arrest, a law enforcement source said.

This year, Downtown cops have been cracking down on teens who congregate after school, forcing them to disperse, said a barber at nearby Lawrence Barber Shop who stepped out for a cigarette and saw the whole incident.

“Cops are pushing them,” said Cesar Sanchez.

About 100 teens mobbed Jay Street following the bloody arrest, according to witnesses, and at least two people were hauled off by police in the back of a squad car.

“It was a mini-riot,” said Myra Eanes, an NYPD employee who said she saw the tail end of the chaos on Jay Street.

Eanes said that loitering kids often fight and cause problems Downtown and blamed nearby George Westinghouse High School.

“They should close that place down,” she said.

Police said they had no details about what happened on Jay Street.

— with Matthew Perlman

Nathan Tempey is a Deputy Editor at the Community Newspaper Group. Reach him at ntempey@cnglocal.com or by calling (718) 260-4504. Follow him at twitter.com/nathantempey.
Updated 10:17 pm, July 9, 2018: Details and quotes added.

Mike from Williamsburg says:
I guess she hadn't received the memo that she lives in a police state.

Is there a single officer with shame? I'm ashamed of my police department, certainly, but is there anyone on the inside with shame?
March 27, 2014, 5:17 pm
John Wasserman from Prospect Heights says:
Pardon my saying so, but it seems as though this police officer may have used a little too much force in this particular incident. Perhaps he should be tested for narcotics and/or mental illness. Of course this is only the opinion of your own John Wasserman. Next time I order from New China Star, it will most definitely be delivery.
March 27, 2014, 5:32 pm
Matt from Greenpoint says:
NYPD... Kelly... Nuff said;
Kelly should have been fired long ago. Bratton is going to have one hell of a job getting the NYPD into any sort of respectable operating condition. I've dealt with NYPD five or six times over the last 15 years and every time except once, I was amazed by the stupidity and/or corruption. I still tell the stories to non-New Yorkers I know just to see them shake their heads.
March 27, 2014, 6:10 pm
Gary from Marine Park says:
There HAS to be more to this story. Reporting only one side means you don't really have the story. It's sensational irresponsible journalism.
March 27, 2014, 6:37 pm
S from Clinton Hill says:
Gary, it sounds like you're saying that if the cops refuse to ever comment, the story can never be reported because we don't have "their side".
March 27, 2014, 6:48 pm
Gary from Marine Park says:
I'm saying that there is definitely more to this story than this, and it's a journalist's duty to get to the bottom of what really happened even if the cops refuse to comment. Trotting out the one side that is willing to speak is hardly any kind of investigation.
March 27, 2014, 7:07 pm
Brooklyn real. from Very far away says:
Heres the deal to all of you who always seem to blame the police , lets hope they go on a 5 day strike and then all you people who so hate the cops can handle it yourselves. Im sure you can have a reasonable dicourse with and discuss the issues of the day while getting your ass kicked ....POLICE PLEASE GO ON STRIKE .. .
March 27, 2014, 7:57 pm
Why do you always post that dumb comment? It's all black and white, eh?! We want the police to be better behaved, to act as if they are accountable to the community they serve, etc. etc. That shouldn't be controversial. I do not hate the police... but I hate how *many* officers act *sometimes* -- especially when it is not on the right side of the law. The police are supposed to be BETTER than the people they are arresting. That's a tough standard. Sure is. But it's the job. Period.
March 27, 2014, 8:41 pm
John Wasserman from Prospect Heights says:
I suspect that the kids were most likely being "rowdy" and possibly even "annoying".
There, however, is no reason for a police officer to throw a young girl through a window.
Having said that, I do agree with the above "Gary" character. There is always more to these stories than meets the eye.
John Wasserman/Prospect Heights Resident/Grubhub Customer
March 27, 2014, 10:52 pm
T-Bone from DoBro says:
Long Live Actual Brooklyn!
March 27, 2014, 11:12 pm
Jim from Cobble Hill says:
That area is a police state every weekday around 3pm. This wasn't just one or two officers who happened to be in the area. Every weekday 30-40 cops that descend on that area and tell anyone who is the wrong age and the wrong color to "leave the area" regardless of what they are doing. The reason that the police told the students to "get out" ...because they fuccking felt like it. It's beyond unconscionable.

The NYCLU and ACLU really need to look into the systematic violations of constitutional rights of those students at the hands of the NYPD. Just go and watch any day as large groups of NYPD thuggishly threaten students as for just being out on a public street. The students are the wrong color and they can't have them near the Metrotech offices, so the cops just want them back down into the subway holes to go back to other areas.

Just one week of being treated like that and you'd pop the cork on the campaign if you heard a cop was dead. After years? It's a nightmare.
March 28, 2014, 12:26 am
Big T from Downtown Brooklyn says:
Those 'students' are the biggest menace in the borough. I see them everyday down there after school lets out. These are feral kids. They rob, fight steal, and make a nuisance of themselves everyday. They are a terror. Glad the cops stepped up for once.
March 28, 2014, 12:37 am
Dee from Downtown says:
How many people go around looking for extra work I know the police sure do if the cop pushed her through the window why did he go through too that sounds right he wants to get cut with glass maybe people should obey laws listen to police directives and physical force wouldn't need to be used an accidents wouldn't happened
March 28, 2014, 2:49 am
T- Bone from DoBro says:
To be fair, the video shows what it's like on most days in that area around 3 pm. The students congregate around the cheap 99 cent pizza joints and Chinese/Mexican places on Willoughby and Lawrence. These groups can build and loiter on the corners and sidewalks to the point where not only pedestrian have trouble getting by, but they block street traffic as well. From what I've seen, they don't seem to mess with random people on the street, but they do fight a lot with each other. Sometimes you'll see shop owners chasing them down the street. Crowds of any type in this number would be a target for police dispersal. Throwing a girl through a window seems heavy handed, but if the cop fell through with her, who knows what prior struggle led to that. I'm no fan of how the police in this city do business. Most are from the burbs and have an attitude that they come here a zoo keepers, rather than community policing. Having said that, I've lived and worked in MetroTech for several years, and I've seen dozens of fights break out. They should link that video to any article about the apartments at 388 Bridge, it's rear entrance is in the background. Anyway, it will be interesting to see what happens when they open this new building and finish the Avalon Willoughby. With thousands of new, well-heeled residents, I'm sure all of those cheap 99 cent joints will be driven out by rent increases and replaced by businesses that the students will have no interest in. In my opinion, it can't come soon enough.
March 28, 2014, 6:02 am
what's the deal? from Bklyn says:
15 yr old "Queens High School" student. What is she doing there down in Bklyn on a school day? Did she travel there after school or was she cutting or was there no other Chinese restaurants near her Queens school? Why isn't she going home after school? Does her parent(s) know she's trotting down to another borough on a school day to meet up with 'friends'? So many questions....
March 28, 2014, 8:14 am
diehipster from Electricuting Ethans says:
Don't you all worry my glow-in-the-sun, suburban refugee, transient friends - WE WILL PERSEVERE!

Soon, that very street will be lined with Yankee Candle and Lands End shops; "authentic" bring-your-own-ivory-chop sticks Chinese restaurants will 'finally' be introduced to the area by red bearded emaciated hayseeds; the street will be closed off on weekends to host the amaaaaaaaazing flea and shmorgesburg markets where you can buy $40 t shirts, vintage type writers, and sustainable zebra meat and local cilantro tacos!!! Did I forget to mention the cup cake ATMs and sunscreen automats on every corner???

OUR WONDERLAND PARADISE AWAITS US!!!! I urge you all to each call a cousin back in your home state and ask them to move to Brooklyn to help speed up this process!!!
March 28, 2014, 8:37 am
Mike from Williamsuburg says:
"Crowds of any type in this number would be a target for police dispersal."

T-Bone, I think you'd be better off in a country without our First Amendment.
March 28, 2014, 9:03 am
Mike from Williamsuburg says:
Yes, What's The Deal, so many irrelevant questions.
March 28, 2014, 9:05 am
NYPD from NY says:
Hahahahahhaaa
Yeah, hipsters are soooo horrible huh?
March 28, 2014, 9:35 am
T-Bone from DoBro says:
Mike, why are you getting on my case? I'm simply stating a fact - if a large crowd assembles (large enough to block street and sidewalk traffic) and they don't have a permit, the cops will ask them to move along. Doesn't matter if you are OWS, Million Mom March, or street urchins. The first amendment is not absolute. Take a constitutional law class, I don't have time to explain to you.

My opinion is that I don't care. Teens are generally annoying and like to grabass. I was an annoying teen to. I can easily avoid them. And, I think some police are the real thugs - I avoid them even more.
March 28, 2014, 11 am
LaShawn from Crown heights says:
All them white outa state folk that have scruffy beards and don't shower ruin everything cause they callin the police and then complainen bout them. Go back to you hood and leave ours alone
March 28, 2014, 11:29 am
moneytalks from Money making Manhattan says:
Brooklyn Problems.
March 28, 2014, 12:03 pm
JAZ from Hunting Redbeards says:
Not really surprised; anyplace hipsters have colonized, the police presence is way overboard to protect them (take a look at how many are deployed in Williamsburg nowadays), and anyplace they haven't ruined yet, the police are deployed to clear out the real city kids so Penelope, Cord and Hummus can safely 'discover' this new territory to fingerpaint in and play with kale.
March 28, 2014, 12:04 pm
NYPD from NY says:
yeah JAZ, blame hipsters for the thug behavior of others. Makes perfect sense.
March 28, 2014, 12:18 pm
T-Bone from DoBro says:
What hipsters are you referring to? The owner of the Chinese restaurant who called the cops to have the loiterers dispersed?

I commend the BK Paper for the scoop, but other new sources have reported and gone deeper.
March 28, 2014, 12:21 pm
NYPD from NY says:
LaShawn from Crown heights,

Don't blame "white folk" for the behavior of crappy teens, makes you sound like an idiot.
March 28, 2014, 12:29 pm
JAZ from Hunting Redbeards says:
T-Bone,

The area is going to be further and further cleaned until it is safe for midwest breadsticks to come in and start pricing regular city families out. Those kids have no chance to survive the whitewashing, nor does that Chinese takeout spot.
March 28, 2014, 12:32 pm
Matt from Greenpoint says:
1) What is a "school safety agent" and what were they doing in public restaurant making demands?
2) Did the restaurant call the cops or the "safety agent"?
3) NY's finest at their finest, no surprise there. I pity Bratton, the mess Kelly left.
4) When will the NYPD start testing for steroids and other drugs, as well as institute an intelligence test and fitness standard?
5) I can only hope that that cop suffers greatly at the hands of the lawyers.
March 28, 2014, 12:38 pm
Matt from Greenpoint says:
The NYPD cops are the most sarcastic, surely, uptight bunch I have ever seen. The females are so done-up they can't even dial their cell phone because they nails are too long. They look like they just came out of the beauty parlor (mostly to no avail) and the uniform is an outfit they just happen to be wearing that day. Of course, when all you have to do is shoot something, I suppose physically apprehending someone is not a big concern. The men are arrogant and talk to you as if you are stupid and think they are so funny.
The Bob Dylan line about New Orlean's cops always comes to mind when I think of the NYPD, "They don't need you and brother they expect the same." (I hope I got that right.)
And mind you, I am no hater of law enforcement and have worked with cops in a professional capacity before without difficulty (not in NYC).
March 28, 2014, 1:02 pm
T-Bone from DoBro says:
Jaz,

Thanks for the reply. I own in the area, so sounds good to me. Everybody in my building talks and hopes for the same.

And by the way, none of those kids actually live (or ever have, since it was all commercial) in the neighborhood. Not sure about Midwesterners, my building has a lot of Europeans and NYC natives that made something out of their lives.
March 28, 2014, 1:10 pm
Joe Black from Brooklyn says:
We need tough-as-nails 'real' brooklynites like JAZ and his bf DH to go up there and put a stop to these menancing crowds. oh wait, they only talk tough online when it comes to 'breadsticks' from the midwest
March 28, 2014, 1:12 pm
Matt from Greenpoint says:
I hope the paper keeps us updated on, as to when the officer goes on disability for twisting his knee or something while going through a glass door with a child's bloodied and sat upon face, body armor etc. as protection.
March 28, 2014, 1:14 pm
Matt from Greenpoint says:
I reckon that if the cops went in as if to get food or just stand by (maybe even just parked outside) the kids' "rowdiness" would have decreased significantly.
But that is just not the type of culture Kelly has built. Never mind the quotas.
March 28, 2014, 1:25 pm
NYPD from NY says:
hahahaa
cryhipster's comment from another thread works here as well:

"Man, that video was painful to watch and I only got halfway through. Can you imagine the level of narcissism you need to post a video of yourself talking crap to the police for 2 minutes?

I don't hope she's dead - just out of Brooklyn and the rest follow.

WORLDSTAAAAAAAAR!!!!
L.L.A.B.!!!
March 28, 2014, 1:29 pm
Claire from Cobble Hill says:
I also think there is more to this story. I work in a store on Willoughby Street. When school is out and the kids emerge, it is absolute mayhem on the streets. I see this 5 days a week. The kids and their parents should be ashamed. Not the police.
March 28, 2014, 1:55 pm
The Fresh Prince from Belair says:
Hey NYPD

You sure love that die hipster guy don't you? You're all over him. The moment he comments you're right there. Kinda creepy, no? It's as if all you do is sit here waiting for him.
March 28, 2014, 2:11 pm
NY says:
HEY The Fresh Prince from Belair,

Why do you care? Kinda creepy, no?
Mind your own business, chap.
March 28, 2014, 2:13 pm
John Wasserman from Prospect Heights says:
I hate to be the one to point this out, but I've waited long enough. Has anyone, even once, thought that maybe there is something strange going on with Chinese food itself? Now, there could be a number of issues here, but what if this Chinese food is just "that good" to children and Police officers alike? Perhaps something should be done about the China Star restaurant.
Pardon the interruption.
March 28, 2014, 3:25 pm
diehipster from Fileting Flynns says:
"John Wasserman: Failed Apologetic Comedic Commentor"
March 28, 2014, 3:58 pm
Matt from Greenpoint says:
NYPD is getting an "Inspector General", thank god. If they had one before Kelly would have been fired already. Kelly says he thinks that the Inspector will "hinder police activity". That's the idea buddy boy.
Anyone who has followed "police activity" over the last 10 years has seen everything from planting narcotics, selling guns, raping women, shooting children, fixing crime stats and on and on and on. The fact that Kelly did not want an inspector means he probably knew he ran the most corrupt force in the country. I think Bloomberg was flat out afraid of Kelly and also enjoyed the idea of his "private army". If NYC can reform its police force, gentrification will really be under way.
March 28, 2014, 4:01 pm
John Wasserman from Prospect Heights says:
"diehipster: Failed Abortion"
March 28, 2014, 4:56 pm
Jack says:
Long live Die Hipster.
March 28, 2014, 6:39 pm
Brooklyn real from Far away . says:
Yes I agree with so many of you , i think we should get these kids away from the Fulton street area , and open a center for them in cobb ill hill , I think they would be very happy to be there, its a nice place for kids and families . keep it in mind .....
March 28, 2014, 10:22 pm
Brooklyn real from Far away . says:
And by the way why is there such a small population of young Africakan americans in Billsburg, whats that all about.,.?????????
March 28, 2014, 10:26 pm
ciara from crownheight says:
The cops dead ass voilated my bestfriend like wtf wrong with yall stupid ass cops slamin gurks into windiws
March 29, 2014, 6:29 am
NYPD from NY says:
↑↑↑↑↑WAT?↑↑↑↑↑
March 29, 2014, 11:03 am
Arrow Maker from Menal Institution says:
↑↓→←↔↕
March 29, 2014, 12:47 pm
John Wasserman from Prospect Heights says:
Hi Ciara. My name is John Wasserman. Perhaps you and your friend should spend more time studying together, and a little less time fooling around with that Chinese food. Having said that, I do believe the NYPD should also try this. Thank you for your cooperation.
March 29, 2014, 12:53 pm
John Wasserman from Prospect Heights says:
Also-why isn't there a "like" feature because I quite liked the comment from Mr. Ms. Arrow Maker, located above.
March 29, 2014, 12:56 pm
truth teller from Brooklyn, ny says:
At the end of the day these are teenage girls these cops used excessive force on! Its no way they should of went threw that window and she said told the cops she was waiting for her food that she order so I'm not understanding how she ended up getting arrested... For those of you who don't know the girl, shut up. Why she was downtown and if her mother knew is none of your business, I too live in a different borough and I'm always downtown everyday, does that mean I cut? NO because its after school hours so your just making yourself sound dumb with rhetorical questions, ——s
March 29, 2014, 2:39 pm
old time brooklyn from slope says:
Ciara/Kizzie - try English - Mazel Tov :)
March 29, 2014, 11:30 pm
John Wasserman from Prospect Heights says:
John Wasserman "likes" the comment (located above).
March 30, 2014, 11:16 am
Wood Shampoo from PSA 1 says:
Yo, it's like they did Larry Fishburne in "King Of New York"--

That said, the kids are savages, as a group, any ya'll are deluding yourselves if you think otherwise. While not QUITE as bad as things used to be in the 80s and 90s, they're still a menace... as are white kids in other neighborhoods, so it's not just about brown peoples.
March 30, 2014, 10:44 pm
NYPD from NY says:
HEY Arrow Maker,

What's a "Menal Institution"?
You had 1 chance, and you blew it, IDIOT.
March 31, 2014, 1:29 pm
Tati from flatbush says:
No cops has the rite to abuse anyone i dont care who u rrr thats someones baby in all reality thats our baby we care wen wen its only our birth child uuu all wrong our child was hurt rite or wrong she only 13 no matter how big her mouth is she is a baby
April 14, 2014, 4:50 am