It was a sad brushstroke of fate.
Pratt Institute’s classes have resumed after a four-alarm fire devastated its main campus building early Feb. 15, destroying student art work, collapsing a section of the roof, and causing water damage throughout the landmark structure.
The fire was an accident, fire marshals said, caused by electrical wiring on the top floor of the 126-year-old Willoughby Avenue building, located between Emerson Place and Hall Street.
The flames erupted at 2:15 am, blazing for two hours before the fire department brought it under control. There were no injuries.
“The six-story building’s roof and its sixth floor were gutted,” the institute said in a statement.
The fifth floor was also badly damaged by the flames, it said. Pratt relocated all classes and offices formerly inside the main building by Feb. 19.Reach reporter Jaime Lutz at firstname.lastname@example.org or by calling (718) 260-8310. Follow her on Twitter @jaime_lutz.