Sections

Landlord Tom Caruana has to audition a third time for the Landmarks Preservation Commission

Showstopper! Preservationists send Brooklyn Heights Cinema overhaul back to the drawing board again

The Brooklyn Paper
Share on TwitterTweet
Share on Facebook
Subscribe

Don’t miss our updates:

Maybe the third time will be the charm for the landlord of the beloved Brooklyn Heights Cinema.

The Landmarks Preservation Commission is pushing for radical changes to building owner Tom Caruana’s plans for a five-story apartment-cinema combo after rejecting proposals for the ambitious project for a second time in late October over concerns that it would turn Henry Street into Lower Manhattan.

“The material and articulation of the proposed reads more like a new TriBeCa or SoHo loft than a Brooklyn Heights building,” said Historic Districts Council member Esther Williams in testimony that helped convince Landmarks commissioners to send the project back to the drawing board.

The snubbed design called for the one-story theater building to be torn down and a five-story complex — with a movie house on the ground floor — built in its place.

The 1895 structure that houses the beloved independent movie theater is not land-marked, but it falls within the Brooklyn Heights Historic District and preservationists do not want to see it demolished.

Caruana first sparked outcry in 2012 when he proposed building apartments on the spot, sans cinema. He scrapped the idea, but even the newest design would simply rebuild the theater instead of saving the existing structure, which fans of historic construction say misses the point of preservation.

“We would also like to see more effort put into keeping the exisiting building in place by using new steel supports within the shell,” Williams said. “It seems useless to have ‘saved’ the 19th-century structure and to then demolish and rebuild it.”

Theater operator Kenn Lowy, who is also a Community Board 2 member, testified in favor of the latest design. That panel approved both designs but district manager Robert Perris said no design is likely to pass muster with the landmarks commission without keeping much of the cinema as is.

“It does not seem that some of the commissioners are okay with tearing down the existing building,” Perris said. “That’s going to be a significant change to the final plan.”

Caruana has not revamped the plans yet, but when he does, he likely will need to get approval from the community board before testifying again in front of Landmarks.

Reach reporter Jaime Lutz at jlutz@cnglocal.com or by calling (718) 260-8310. Follow her on Twitter @jaime_lutz.
Updated 10:16 pm, July 9, 2018
Today’s news:
Share on TwitterTweet
Share on Facebook
Subscribe

Don’t miss our updates:


Reasonable discourse

Comments closed.

First name
Last name
Your neighborhood
Email address
Daytime phone

Your letter must be signed and include all of the information requested above. (Only your name and neighborhood are published with the letter.) Letters should be as brief as possible; while they may discuss any topic of interest to our readers, priority will be given to letters that relate to stories covered by The Brooklyn Paper.

Letters will be edited at the sole discretion of the editor, may be published in whole or part in any media, and upon publication become the property of The Brooklyn Paper. The earlier in the week you send your letter, the better.

Keep it local!

Stay in touch with your community. Subscribe to our free newsletter: