Vincent Gentile versus John Quaglione for Bay Ridge Council seat

Councilman defends bonus, shifts onus

Is Ridge’s councilman a no-show? Or is his challenger a know-nothing?

The Bay Ridge Republican Council hopeful blasted the Democratic incumbent at a recent debate for collecting extra pay for chairing a committee the challenger contended hasn’t met in years — but the councilman countered with evidence proving him wrong.

GOPer John Quaglione slammed Councilman Vincent Gentile (D–Bay Ridge) in an Oct. 22 debate for accepting an extra $4,000 a year in taxpayer money for heading up the Select Committee on Libraries. Quaglione pointed out that Gentile had opposed such bonuses before 2006 — when the councilman started getting one — and then claimed that the committee had not met since May 2009.

“Do you have any idea how hard people work for $4,000, people on minimum wage?” demanded the aide to state Sen. Marty Golden.

Quaglione pointed to the City Council’s main page for the Libraries Select Committee — part of the larger Cultural Affairs Committee — which last recorded a meeting four years ago, on May 28, 2009.

But Gentile said he had earned the additional pay because his committee had, in fact, met several times this year and held many rallies against library closures.

“As usual, you don’t do your homework, John,” Gentile said. “If you put in the work, you deserve the compensati­on.”

Gentile’s office provided several Council documents describing meetings he held in May and September this year. And an online search yielded records of three meetings this year on the City Council website — even though the meetings are not listed on the Libraries Select Committee’s page.

Gentile is the only member of the select committee, though it often convenes jointly with the larger Cultural Affairs committee. Gentile and Councilman Charles Barron (D–East New York) were the only senior councilman not granted a full committee chairmanship when Speaker Quinn handed them out in 2010. But the Ridge rep has promised that he will be part of the Council’s leadership if re-elected — and possibly even the next speaker — as he will be the longest-serving member of the legislative body.

Reach reporter Will Bredderman at wbredderman@cnglocal.com or by calling (718) 260-4507. Follow him attwitter.com/WillBredderman.
Updated 10:16 pm, July 9, 2018

Joey from Clinton Hills says:
Show us the money!
Oct. 25, 2013, 8:52 am
John from Bay Ridge says:
Vinny thinks he's going to be the next Speaker of the Council if he's re-elected? That's delusional.
Oct. 25, 2013, 8:55 am
Jerry from Dyker Heights says:
Q is running such a dopey amateurish campaign. It's actually hard to watch.
Oct. 25, 2013, 10:37 am
Joe from Bay Ridge says:
The idea that the incumbent believes that he may be the next Speaker is insane and may be a good reason not to vote for him. No one who follows City Hall closely would take this seriously - he has to know this or he truly is delusional.

Holding rallies and meeting twice is not the work of a committee char. Most committees under Council rules are required to meet once a month. This is a do-nothing committee. The fact that the incumbent was against lulus earlier in his career and now he is for them just shows what an amazingly bad flip flopper this guy is. I'm not sure why the truth and the Council Member seem to butt heads so often.
Oct. 25, 2013, 10:54 am
ridgette from ridge says:
mr. quaglione has made himself progressively less appealing on multiple levels. he shoulda had advisors who got off their own block once in awhile.
Oct. 25, 2013, 11:04 am
Thank you, Joe.

From your past comments we know that you're a progressive who plans to vote third-party (non-Gent/Quag) and has an anti-Gentile obsession (to the extent that it seems Joe-personal, not political), and that you'll happily give us (again) your anti-Vinny-but-not-for-Q positions in excruciating detail.
Oct. 25, 2013, 11:16 am
Joe from Bay Ridge says:
Ed: Being against incompetency is not personal. I'm sure the incumbent is a lovely dinner guest and a hit at a party. But, he's not a very effective Council Member. If you wish to make a case for his re-election, I'd be happy to read it. I've never written anything on this or any other board that is not true about him. If you disagree please show me where.
Oct. 25, 2013, 11:30 am
Ed from Bay Ridge says:
Joe, your obsession w Gentile has become semi-infamous. It goes way beyond any usual voter's or even activist's level of interest. Esp since you (as a pro-lgbt progressive) you don't endorse Q's or Golden's ultracon-hood.

When someone obsessively attacks one candidate, doesn't support that person's opponent AND doesn't actively pitch for an alternative ... yes, it looks more personal than political.
Oct. 25, 2013, 12:14 pm
Ed -- How you *think* others are supposed to behave within the realm of political discourse seems to be your own cross to bear, not something Joe from Bay Ridge needs to justify for you.
Oct. 25, 2013, 1:34 pm
lisa says:
Quaglione has a real serious temper. He needs to get a hold of his anger
Oct. 25, 2013, 2:11 pm
Bay Ridge says:
Ed: You're right. I am obsessed with the idea of getting proper representation in Bay Ridge on the City level. Why you or anyone else would accept 17 years of failure is beyond me. Again, this isn't personal as I don't believe the incumbent to be a bad person. He just has trouble doing his job and has an odd relationship with the truth.

But, let's be clear, I haven't attacked him once on this board. Everything I've written about him is the truth and can be documented. His supporters may not like the truth, but as they say it is what it is.
Oct. 25, 2013, 4:08 pm
How noble of you, Joe.

As I've said before - run for office. But your repetitive caterwauling gets wearing and your "vote for no one" message is a copout.
Oct. 25, 2013, 7:14 pm
Jay from Suset Park says:
Quaglione losses by 12 points.
Oct. 25, 2013, 9:39 pm
Joe from Bay Ridge says:
Ed: I've never once said "vote for no one". I'm sorry that you would have to lie. I have stated that I will vote for the most progressive candidate in this race. I haven't even advocated for others to do so as I know that most people are hopelessly addicted to the two major parties.

I'm sorry that you need hyperbole and untrue statements in your posts. I suppose if you support a weak candidate you're left with emotional appeals to push your guy to a plurality.
Oct. 26, 2013, 1:28 am
Aine from Ridge says:
The answer is JQ is a know nothing put up for Councilman as a reward for being Sen Golden's Chief of Staff. It was painful to watch! Putting Charles Barron and Vincent Gentile in the same sentence seems like biased reporting to me . I had stated in a previous post that Gentile was a "thorn in Bloomberg's side" which was taken down by the BP during discussions with Joe from BR. We were both dismayed by the censorship.Speaker Quinn ,or some would say Deputy Mayor Quinn did not give Gentile a full Committee Chairmanship because......? That's right, he had the audacity to challenge Bloomberg on policy issues while Quinn was his "yes" person with ambitions for the Mayoralty! Mr. Gentile would be the best selection for Speaker in the City Council as he has 17yrs of experience in Gov't as opposed to administrative tasks for an elected official. And, Joe, either you do have some personal axe to grind with Vinny,or you really are a shill. You raved about Gentile's new chief of staff, let's hear some positives on JQ's abilities. Oh! that's right, you are voting green party,so you have no horse in this race!
Oct. 27, 2013, 10:03 am
Ed from Bay Ridge says:
Aine from Ridge says: "Oh! that's right, you are voting green party,so you have no horse in this race!"

What?? You think the Green candidate isn't competitive?? Why, his top priorities are gardening, solar panels and a Fourth Ave trolley -- so very in sync with local issues. People will be chomping at the bit to vote for him (ha).
Oct. 27, 2013, 11:03 am
joe from Bay Ridge says:
That's cute Ed. It always is when you play to the cheap seats. Go after another man"s common sense ideas and igore your candidates record of incomentence for 17 years.

Why is it so hard for those of you who support the status quo to give an an affirmative argument as to why we should give the incunbent four more years. A simple list of legislative achievements would suffice. Some groundbreaking initiatives in the district would help. Anything.

As for his non candidancy for Speaker - no one in city hall or anywhere outside of the Council Member's head seriously. In order to be a leader one needs followers and the incumbent has none.
Oct. 27, 2013, 11:26 am
Ed from Bay Ridge says:
Joe, tell us why the Green Party candidate is a superlative choice.
Oct. 27, 2013, 11:31 am
joe from bay ridge says:
Ed. I've already stated why he is the better choice. First and foremost unlike the incumbent he does not support government sponsored discrimination of any type (based on sexual orientation, Second he supports particapatory budgeting, a system which finally gives taz payers a say in how our money is being spent locally. Nest unlike the unlike the incumbent he has yet to insult our intelligence with outright lies or semantics (voting against term limits then running for a third term, pledging not to raise taxes and then voting to raise taxes in his first Stated Council Meeting _- if you would like me to expand on this list I would be glad to).

Now I have answered your question after you dodged mine. I look forward to your affirmative argument.
Oct. 27, 2013, 11:53 am
Ed from Bay Ridge says:
Joe, tell us how the Green Party candidate will benefit this district.
Oct. 27, 2013, 12:03 pm
ridgette from ridge says:
"cheap seats"?
"please show me where"?
"i'm sorry that you (insert insult)"?

oh no  ...  this is the same joe who useta troll on and on on another site.  same topic, style, insults ... and he can keep this up til miami freezes over.
Oct. 27, 2013, 12:24 pm
joe from bay ridge says:
Ed. I already told you by giving the people a voice in the budgeting process. By focusing on enirenmental issues that will ultimatley save city agencies money. Lastly, he will respect all of his constituents unlike the incumbent by opposing any measure which discriminates against them.

Now that I've answered your question, isn't it time that you made your argument in support of the status quo?
Oct. 27, 2013, 12:31 pm
Aine from Ridge says:
Ed, Joe is a hopeless case! Refer back to 10/03/13 Quagemire and read through the posts. I told him to get his rooftop garden going because there is nothing like a home grown tomato! I think he is really angry that Quinn lost, and I notice that he is using some of the same verbiage that I used when challenging him . He is harvesting votes for JQ. Vinny is the Champ and the challenger has to bring it! And ,Joe, your postings are more than enough to have one support the incumbent Vincent Gentile!
Oct. 27, 2013, 2:47 pm
Ed from Bay Ridge says:
No, Joe, it's not "time."
Gentile and Q are known entities whose pros-cons have been stated previously by BP commenters.

I was curious re: why you blasted one candidate so obsessively, but ignored his ultraright opponent (even while you championed lgbt rights!) AND were so diffident re: who you'd support -- mentioning "third party" only when pressed.

Council-race voters are concerned about on-the-ground local issues. Someday having a budget "voice" and eventually saving NYC agencies money aren't exactly kneeslapper reasons to vote Green. Community gardening, trolleys, etc also aren't #1 on voters' concern parade in BR, BathB, B'hurst and Dyker. The most I can say is: The Green guy is a nearly-invisible symbolic candidate representing Interesting Concepts.
Oct. 27, 2013, 2:47 pm
Ed from Bay Ridge says:
Aine from Ridge says: "I think he is really angry that Quinn lost, and I notice that he is using some of the same verbiage that I used when challenging him . He is harvesting votes for JQ. "

My take is that he has some personal issues going here. People normally champion one candidate, and attack another as a result of that choice. He just obsessively attacked, attacked, attacked one guy without supporting anyone else ... then said "third party" only when pressed, and without real enthusiasm.
Oct. 27, 2013, 3:02 pm
Ed,

we used to microwave
now we just eat nuts and berries
you got it, you got it

Talking Heads for Joe and the green party!
Oct. 27, 2013, 3:02 pm
joe from bay ridge says:
Ed. You may not like the reasons I support the Green candidate, but at least I have reasons. You still haven't given any affirmative reasons to support the status quo. Surely after 17 years the incumbent must have an impressive legislative list of accomplishments, right? Surely, we can point to some initatives in the district that he spearheaded, which improved our quality of life.

Saying that he's not as conservative as the Republican is a lame reason to support him. We deserve better in this community. Why you accept and ask for more lousy representation is confusing.
Oct. 27, 2013, 3:11 pm
Ed from Bay Ridge says:
"Saying that he's not as conservative as the Republican is a lame reason to support him. "

Then stop raising the lgbt-equality issue unless you raise it on both major-party candidates.
Oct. 27, 2013, 3:16 pm
Ed from Bay Ridge says:
"Why you accept and ask for more lousy representation is confusing."

I'm sure that your Green vote will impress many and effect the wonderful representation you seek.
Oct. 27, 2013, 3:21 pm
Aine from Ridge says:
Joe, you are really getting annoying ! I know I am ,but what are you ?NAH NAH NA NA! Please admit that you have a personal axe to grind with Vinny!Please, if you were a farmer , you wouldn't be outstanding in your field! Oh! that's right, the green party,so, I guess it would be on your rooftop with your homemade wind turbine!
Oct. 27, 2013, 3:59 pm
joe from bay ridge says:
Ed. No other candidate in this race voted against the bill that made it illeagal to discriminate against gays and lesbians. Gentile voted NO on this bill. I highly doubt that you would support a candidate who voted against the civil rights bill. So why would you ignore this vote?

In the end you don't even know why you're support the incument other than the fact that he has a D after his name. Your community deserves better.
Oct. 27, 2013, 4:02 pm
Aine from Ridge says:
Joe, a D after someones name in this political world is all any voter needs ! Isn't it the R's who are passing voter suppression legislation in our Nation to mention just one of that party's right wing agenda!Get over it,you can marry whomever you like in NYC! Yes,we deserve locally grown vegetables in Bay Ridge,just not the genetically altered ones who belong to the Republican Party!
Oct. 27, 2013, 5:17 pm
joe from bay ridge says:
Aine. Would you support a candidate who voted against the civil rights laws? This has nothing to do with marriage. This has nothing to do with the national Republican party. The only one who voted to surpress anyone's rights in this race is the incumbent.
Oct. 27, 2013, 5:24 pm
Ed from Bay Ridge says:
Quaglione stands where on lgbt rights, Joe?
Oct. 27, 2013, 5:39 pm
joe from bay ridge says:
Ed. I never claimed he did nor would I ever make such a claim. I'm not one of his supporters so I'm not sure why you're asking me to defend him.

What is known is that the incumbent was asked to vote on a bill to end discrimination based on sexual orientation. The bill including basic privlidges that you take for granted like protection from unfair treatment in the workplace, housing and equal protectiins. The incumbent voted no.

Oct. 27, 2013, 6:15 pm
Ed from Bay Ridge says:
joe from bay ridge says: "I never claimed he did"

Did I say you claimed anything?? I just asked where Q stands on lgbt rights. And I asked that because
-- you've emphasized a vote on a *specifically* gay issue, and
-- you were concerned about any electee's *future* behavior (as in: your chosen candidate "will respect all of his constituents").

The Green candidate (Patrick Dwyer) rec'd just 1.8 percent of the vote last year when he ran for Assembly (46 AD). His 2013 City Council goals, here:

will not bowl over BR-Bath-B'hurst-Dyker voters, for whom solar panels, gardening events and efficient store refrigerators are not #1 concerns. (And "free mass transit" is a nice wish but is less likely than winning Powerball twice.)

Dwyer is unlikely to win. Would you be pleased if Q won? Is there evidence that he'd promote your values or stand up for lgbts (who've been the only concrete example in your "rights" argument)? Why are you reluctant to address that, or Q's pros and cons, at all?

I'm baffled, since politically astute folks -- GOP or Dem -- don't normally operate with blinders on, as you do.
Oct. 27, 2013, 7:44 pm
Ed from Bay Ridge says:
Joe wrote: "Take the words gay and lesbian out of that legislation and insert "black", "jewish" "catholic" etc and tell me if you would be so forgiving."

I'm not "forgiving." I also know that although civil rights are everyone's rights, each of those groups has had its own distinctive rights struggle.

Race, religion, sexual orientation (and gender, national origin, et al) ring different bells for most people.

The most recent group to assert its rights always will be viewed as iffy or suspect ... until people grow up, get used to it and learn that they won't die if others have equal rights.
Oct. 27, 2013, 8:04 pm
John from Bay Ridge says:
Can anyone give any solid achievements of Vinnie's? The reason that he is being mentioned in the same sentence as Charles Barron is that Vinny and Barron (who is an unapologetic rascist) are number 50 and 51 respectively in getting funding for their districts. Out of a grand total of 51 districts. But another way, Vinny is so inept at bringing funds into our district that he barely beat out the most disliked rascist in the city council. Absolutely pathetic. And we have people eager to return him to office? Why? This guy just doesn't deserve our votes, that's the bottom line.
Oct. 27, 2013, 8:50 pm
Ed from Bay Ridge says:
John, your astroturfing is too well known. At least choose another name.
Oct. 27, 2013, 8:53 pm
And fyi:
I'm a neighborhoody circulately kind of guy, and can say that Q's "attack" mailings have been a real turnoff to my neighbors. Who mostly are in the middleage-older diehard-voter category and don't vote like robots for any one party.

Bad taste and too late to fix.
Oct. 27, 2013, 9:07 pm
joe from bay ridge says:
Ed. So you're okay with discrimination of some sorts until a group deserves it? Don't you understand Ed, if a boss or landlord can discriminate against one group they can find a reason to come down on you.

You still haven't told me if you would vote for someone who favored Jim Crow?

Ed, I really don't think you know why you're supporting the incumbent. - at least you can't put it into words.
Oct. 27, 2013, 9:36 pm
John from Bay Ridge says:
I guess your answer is "no" then Ed. You can't come up with any reasons to vote for Vinny.

Your blind loyalty to Vinny is pretty strange. I don't have a business relationship or friendship with either candidate. I'm just tired of having an ineffective councilman, and don't vote based on party loyalty (Democrat in my case).
Oct. 28, 2013, 2 pm
Aine from Ridge says:
Joe, what a bunch of baloney! If you have no Party loyalty why would you identify yourself as a Democrat? Like I said, I believe you are a Quinnite, and Vinny would give her patron,Bloomberg, a hard time. Your vindictiveness is quite apparent when you would endorse a green party candidate, and not question the abilities of JQ whose only qualification is that he works for the Republican State Senator.
Oct. 29, 2013, 8:16 am
Aine from Ridge says:
Oh! Sorry I thought you were Joe! LOL!
Oct. 29, 2013, 8:18 am
joe from bay ridge says:
Aine: Blind loyal to anything is dangerous and should not be encouraged. I do favor Democrats and generally give them the benefit of the doubt. But, if the Democrats are serving me a poor prepared meal I am going to send it back. My community is too important to be stuck with a second tier representative.

If I lived in South Carolina up until about ten years ago I wouldn't have voted for Robert Byrd due to his decision to vote and attempt to block the civil rights legislation. Why are people here so forgiving of our Council Member's attempt to defeat the modern civil rights bill for gays and lesbians?

Put that issue aside for a moment and why is that you and other supporters cannot even rattle his accomplishments? You'd figure that would be an easy task considering that he has been a legislator for 17 years! And yet for two weeks I have been asking supporters of the status quo to show me where I'm wrong and make an affirmative argument. The response has been attacks on the other candidates and calls for party unity.

As for me attacking or being "vindictive" against the incumbent that is just hogwash. Everything I've written about him is factual and documented. If you disagree please show me where I'm wrong.
Oct. 29, 2013, 9:20 am
Aine from Ridge says:
Joe/John, I said baloney and I stand by it. I notice you haven't denied the Quinnite assertion.Why ? Because it is true and obviously you do have an axe to grind with Gentile. So,like I said you are a shill!
Oct. 29, 2013, 10:57 am
joe from bay ridge says:
Aine; Chris Quinn has nothing to do with this local election, so I'm not sure why I would address your claim. I've been respectfuk towards you and I get back name calling and the like. I can understand your frustration as it must be hard to support such an incompetent.
Oct. 29, 2013, 11:30 am
Aine from Ridge says:
Joe/John if the title fits,and in my opinion,it does,you know what they say,wear it proudly! So,it hardly rises to the level of "name calling". A little sensitive aren't we? By the way I am sure you know how to spell "respectful". I'll give you the benefit of the doubt and settle for a typo,or maybe just a Freudian slip.
Oct. 29, 2013, 2:31 pm
Joe from bay ridge says:
Thank for the lesson in spelling. I'm not sensitive at all and nothing that you've stated insults me in the least. I just wonder why you find it so hard to be civil.

But, I will chalk it up to your blind loyalty to a mediocre (at best) legislator.
Oct. 29, 2013, 7:12 pm
Aine from Ridge says:
Joe, you are quite welcome ! So, I guess giving you the benefit of the doubt was the correct and civil thing to do. So, Gentile is now mediocre ? Would you give us an affirmative argument to justify this new rating? You say "Chris Quinn has nothing to do with this local election",and I say she does because there is a clear contrast between her and Gentile. Vincent Gentile was not the Mayor's puppet,he was "our man" from Bay Ridge! Is JQ going to be his own man ,or a partisan Repub insider beholding to the right-wing Bklyn Repub machine that arranged his candidacy for City Councilman without any real qualifications,except blind loyalty to his patrons?
Oct. 30, 2013, 9:42 am
joe from bay ridge says:
Aine: I will gladly make the argument in defense of my claim that he is a mediocre legislator. And please let me correct something in your last post - he hasn't suddenly become a mediocre legislator he has been for the past 17 years.

And here is why:

1) In 17 years the incumbent has not passed one meaningful piece of legislation. I challenge you to show me an important bill that he authored. On the state level he was hampered by being in the minority, but he had the opportunity in the majority on the Council and still came up empty handed.

2) District Office: Up until recently the incumbent's district office was a train wreck. Chiefs of Staffs would go through his office through a virtual revolving door. It got so bad that one of his top staffers filed sexual harassment charges against him. If we found that type of behavior to be abhorrent in Vito Lopez, why do you accept it at home?

3) His odd relationship with the truth: Through out the years the incumbent has consistently exaggerated and in some case out right lied to us. It is both insulting and unbecoming behavior in a legislator.

Here are some highlights of this pattern:

The incumbent used to claim that he was responsible for the elimination of the sales tax on clothing. This was an outright lie as he never passed a bill to do this (the bill was actually passed by majority members in the Senate and Assembly)

The incumbent promised Brooklyn LAMDA that he would vote for SONDA in 2002. When the time came to vote for the bill, he voted NO.

The incumbent promised not raise taxes when he ran for City Council in 2003. In his first vote on the Council, he voted to raise income and sales taxes.

The incumbent voted against the term limits bill and said that he was fighting for the will of the people and now he is running for a third term.

4) His district ranks next to in terms of discretionary funding. We know that he cannot get along with people in and outside of his party and as a result his constituents pay for it by seeing fewer services. The job of a legislator is to get along in order to serve their districts. Does that mean that they need to be a sycophant to leadership? Of course not. Plenty of Council Members bucked leadership, but still chair committees and receive funding for their districts. Your guy just can't play the game.

So there is your argument. You still haven't given me an affirmative argument as to why we should maintain the status quo. I'll wait patiently.

Oct. 30, 2013, 10:58 am
Sophistry and baloney!
Oct. 30, 2013, 11:11 am
Joe from bay ridge says:
Aine: That's your opinion but what is it based on? Are you going to claim that the incumbent has passed significant legislation? That he didn't go through several chiefs of staffs? That he didn't mislead? And that the district doesn't rank next to last in terms of funding?

It's easy to throw bricks, but it's a little harder to actually put together a counter argument. Go on Aine, show me where I'm wrong.
Oct. 30, 2013, 11:43 am
Aine from Ridge says:
Joe/John,my opinion is based on your posts ! Sophistry and baloney! You would rather have "just an average guy'", you know ,goes food shopping, brings out the garbage, changes diapers. and just happens to be Golden's average joe guy who has waited patiently for a promotion and Golden gets to kill two birds with one stone. A promotion for JQ and control of the Council Seat. Please , you and your green party,17 years yada yada yada. JQ does not even come close to Gentile in qualifications,or intellectual capacity. It would be a patronage position for a person who does not possess the abilities needed for Councilman. So,you say he has been mediocre for 17yrs (strongly disagree,has been doing something right,and No,a green party member does not deserve any affirmative arguments,other than Gentile is the best and most experienced man for the job! OH! So sorry, I forgot you are a democrat. Baloney!
Oct. 31, 2013, 4:35 pm
joe from bay ridge says:
Again you saying that he is "the best" without anything to back that statement up doesn't make it true. What is the best at? Passing impprtant legislation? Okay, name the bills. Running a district office? Well for years he's staff quit on him by the month. Things got so bad that one of his staffers filed a sexual harrassment case against him. Is this the sign of a good district office? If yes, you must have loved Vito Lopez.

Is he the best at bringing dollars back to the district? Not according to Citizens Union, they'll tell you that he ranked near the bottom.

So your claim that he is the best just doesn't jibe with the last 17 years.

As for your latest atte$pt to insult me. I am a Democrat, I'm just not blindly loyal to the party or any other organization.
Nov. 1, 2013, 8:48 am
Aine from Ridge says:
Joe, it is quite clear that you are purposely avoiding my contention that JQ would be nothing more than a Golden mouthpiece in the Council. As I have stated previously,Gentile is the incumbent(Champ) and does not have to bring the fight,the challenger does,and watching the Channel 1 debate , the challenger was clearly a "Loser'. "I am not Marty Golden" stated JQ! That was quite clear when he was standing in the ring alone as I must grudgingly admit that Golden is an experienced,skillful,and astute politician. As is Vincent Gentile! JQ certainly is not in the same league ! Wasn't Golden a Democrat in the past! Seems like you are following a Greener path! Are you just a malcontent,or do you just like to practice your Sophist baloney slinging? No insult intended as you seem somewhat thin skinned. Being a student of sophistry,could you please provide me with the meaning of "he is the best" as you think that I am having a hard time with the concept?
Nov. 1, 2013, 10:40 am
Joe from bay ridge says:
Aine: The incumbent's mediocre record has nothing to do with the challenger. This is not boxing or any other sport for that matter. This is about our community.

You know you cannot tackle the things I posted on the merits so you create these false arguments and ad hominem i.e. I'm a shill; thin skinned; I'm not a good enough Democrat; the Tea Party will take over the city if the incumbent isn't elected; the incumbent is the best because you say so.

None of these bring forth an argument as to why we should re-elect him. It is the equivalent of stamping your feet and holding your breath.

Good luck with that one.

As to "he is the best" that would be for you to define as it was your statement. If I used the same phrase I would be able to give a list of reasons why I made the statement. You on the other fall short on that front.
Nov. 1, 2013, 11:03 am
Aine from Ridge says:
Joe, HaH! You are working on a false premise! Skirted again eh! Knew , you couldn,t do it! Right, it is about our community that's why I am voting for Gentile and not a farmer! Just answer my question and not your on and on baloney talking points!
Nov. 1, 2013, 11:16 am
joe from bay ridge says:
Aine: Actually I've answered everyone of your questions. It is you who has not answered anything I've asked you. As to your claim that to what I wrote is "baloney", please tell me what is not true?

Is it the sexual harassment?
Is it the poor legislative record?
Is the revolving door staff?
Is it the lack of innovative initiatives that stemmed from his office?
Is it his inability to bring funding to the district?
Is it his odd relationship with the truth?

Which of these do you not agree with and please detail the reasons why. Otherwise just admit them all to be true.
Nov. 1, 2013, 11:32 am
Aine from Ridge says:
Joe, like I said, you couldn't do it! You sound like Curious George! Answering questions with questions is not answering questions! OK, just what is it that YOU have such a personal axe to grind with Gentile? Just curious!
Nov. 2, 2013, 9:31 am
joe from bay ridge says:
Aine. Nothing I've written about the incumbent is meant to be personal. Everything I've written is fact based and documented. The facts may be hard for you to deal with, but they're still facts.

You've called my argument "baloney" but yet you have even attempted to refute it. But, this is perfectly understandable as you are on the side of a weak candidate.
Nov. 2, 2013, 10 am
Aine from Ridge says:
Joe, ok, I'll call it salami,you know a rose by any other name.......! Not meant to be personal, baloney, no ,I meant salami ! Please tell me what your personal beef with Gentile is ! And in past posts I have given you reasons why Gentile is the "best man" for the job ! Go on back and read them! Like I said,either you are a shill or there is some personal dislike!
Nov. 2, 2013, 11:29 am
Aine from Ridge says:
Joe/John are you pounding the pavement for green party candidate Dwyer who according to you is a viable and qualified candidate , or are you still obsessing that Gentile is going to win the Council Seat against the unqualified Quaglione. Anyone with an ounce of brains knows JQ is a Golden set-up and is way way out of his league!
Nov. 2, 2013, 4:38 pm
joe from bay ridge says:
Aine: I've always stated that the incumbent will win this election, I've also said that he doesn't deserve it. Unlike you I've listed reasons to support my argument. So your vote for the status quo will be a vote for discrimination, sexual harassment, a lousy legislative record, and less funding for the district.

Now feel free to call me another name as that must make the taste of compromising your values a little less bitter. But, then again, maybe you support the above.

As to your silly premise that I have something personal against the incumbent, that's just nonsense. Nothing that I've written about him is untrue and you know it. If I wrote that President Kennedy was murdered on November 22, 1963 would that be a personal attack on the slain President? No, it would be a factual statement. The same is true with each and everything that I wrote about the incumbent.

If you don't agree please show me where I'm wrong.

At the end of the day your candidate will win this race and this community will be stuck with an ineffective legislator for another four years. I hope you're proud.
Nov. 2, 2013, 5:13 pm
Aine from Ridge says:
Thank Goodness, and good luck with the solar panels and rooftop farms! Compromise is a fact of life and the repub party that you are shilling for does not possess that concept! Yes, I do remember where I was when President Kennedy was assassinated and that was truly a traumatic moment! AND ,ok, I call you JoeJohnBruce. P.S. I really do like those heirloom tomatoes and wish you the best! Can you purchase organic baloney,you seem quite the expert on the subject!
Nov. 2, 2013, 5:26 pm
joe from bay ridge says:
Aine; I really think when it comes down to it we're two different Democrats. You're willing to overlook things like sexual harrassment and discrimination and fighting against those things is part of the reason wby I became a Democrat in the first place. I'm glad Vito Lopez was outsted as County leader and I wish Robert Byrd would have been ousted as a US Senator.

But, you're okay with both of these guys, at least that's what you're saying when you vote for the incumbent. So again I hope he is worth selling out for - so far in his first 17 years he hasn't proven to be.
Nov. 2, 2013, 5:56 pm
Aine from Ridge says:
You ARE NOT A DEMOCRAT ! I told you to stop with the baloney sophistry, that works on the blank eyed repubs and the limberger hannity crowd who will be casting their vote for the right wing-nuts and have no clue that they are voting against their own interests, and with your baloney axe to grind rants YOU are doing a great disservice to the low info voters who you are preying upon to take votes away from the Democratic Candidate because of some personal axe to grind! I thought you would be out pounding the pavement for green party candidate Dwyer since you are such a principled citizen! Salami salami Baloney! See Ya Shill!
Nov. 2, 2013, 6:17 pm
Joe from bay ridge says:
So now support for the Bay Ridge Council Member is what defines one as a Democrat? That's laughable. As i told you Aine, you're selling your values out the window and you don't have a strong argument for doing so other than blind loyalty.

The Democratic Party is not the party of sexual harassment or discrimination against minorities.
The Democrat Party puts forth a progressive agenda with the intention of moving it forward. The incumbent couldn't pass a bill if he tried.
Your agenda and the agenda of the incumbent do not jibe with that of the traditional or current Democratic Party.

You don't get to define who is and who is not a Democrat. And I'm sorry, but I won't be voting for any "right wing" candidate on Tuesday. Your vote will be going to a much more conservative candidate than the one I will cast.

From your language it seems that you watch too much Fox news and listen to Limbaugh way too often. You even parrot their verbiage.

Once again, I hope the next four years are worth your values. I know at the end of the day, no matter what the outcome, I will be able to live with myself after I vote.
Nov. 2, 2013, 6:35 pm
Aine from Ridge says:
WING-NUT! Parrot their verbiage? The only time I see Fox news is when I watch Comedy Central! It is you that uses their strategy!
Nov. 3, 2013, 9:31 am
joe from bay ridge says:
What is their strategy as you seem to know it more than me? Is it to oppose Democrats who are mot progressive enough? If that's the case I meed to watch more as I've never seen anyone on that network promote such a thing. You borrowed "low information" voter from Limbaugh, so is he now promoting progressive candidates?

I get to tell anyone which party they belong to (unlike you). But, if I could make a suggestion, since you will selling the values of the Democratic party out on Tuesday, why not form the incumbents at all costs party. A party which looks pasts poor records and fights to keep the status quo in place at all costs.

Good luck with that
Nov. 3, 2013, 9:54 am
joe from bay ridge says:
Correction: I DON'T get to tell anyone which party they belong to.....
Nov. 3, 2013, 12:57 pm
Aine from Ridge says:
Limberger coined the definition of a low info voter? Really! Wingnut , and you are a green party supporter or repub operative! Oh! Wait limberger coined operative too!
Nov. 4, 2013, 11:08 am
joe from bay ridge says:
I'm not a Green Party supporter and only exist as a supporter of the Republican Party in your head. Unlike you I support and respect the values of the Democratic Party. I support the idea of minority rights, of protecting people over business interests (see the incumbents vote against raising the smoking age from 18 to 21), I am against term limits (the incumbent voted against them but he's running anyway).

You on the other hand believe that it is more important to protect incumbents than promote progressive values.

We're just two different types of Democrats.

I hope he's worth your values.
Nov. 4, 2013, 12:36 pm
Aine from Ridge says:
Yes, two different Democrats! One whom is a realist and one whom is quite naive! Take a queue from the limberger repub radicals and never go against your Party! You do so at the risk of helping them further destroy the progressive agenda of the DEMOCRATIC PARTY ! So, I will be voting for Gentile!
Nov. 4, 2013, 1:32 pm
Aine from Ridge says:
And another thing, if a person puts him/herself in harms way by wearing our Nation's Uniform to protect our Country(18yrsold) I think they have the right to purchase tobacco or alcohol if they so choose and to make that decision themselves, as they are expected to make tough life and death decisions at that tender age under extremely stressful life and death situations ! I believe that it is absurd to prohibit them from making their own informed decision to use these legal and taxed products when nobody tells them they are too young to be in the military!
Nov. 4, 2013, 2:55 pm
Joe from bay ridge says:
Aine: Well I really hope that blind loyalty serves you well. So much for your values - it's so much easier to let party bosses tell you what to think than to actually think of your own.

And as a supporter of the incumbent I'm not surprised to learn that you put the interests of profits ahead of health. It makes total sense.
Nov. 4, 2013, 3:04 pm
Aine from Ridge says:
Joe, what are you a tuning fork? Did you ever figure out that being in the military could be adverse to your health? Does a progressive agenda mean nanny state to you? So, maybe the age for joining the military should be 21yrs old. I thought you were a green party supporter,not a temperance party advocate. P.S. Never smoked a cigarette in my life! And I assume that you support our Military and the MIC is certainly a for profit cadre! So,what do you think,should we change the voting age back to 21yrs old ,since maybe 18yrs is not old enough to make decisions or have established their own values?
Nov. 4, 2013, 5:08 pm
joe from bay ridge says:
Aine: I actually have a huge problem with military recruiters who troll high schools looking for troubled teens to join. So yes, I wouldn't mind reexamining the age requirement to join an organization that purposefully puts your life in danger.

But, the military is not a for-profit enterprise. Like it or not we need the armed forces for many reasons. We don't need smokers, cigarettes or big tobacco companies and we should discourage this filthy habit every chance we get. This measure has as much to do with a nanny state as banning lead paint does or are you in favor of allowing landlords to use lead paint?

If voting seriously damaged your health I would take a look at that as well. However, the worst that happens when people vote is that they make bad choices that impact others. No need to tell you about that as you have that point nailed down.

That bad taste that lingers with you tomorrow will be the taste of your values.
Nov. 4, 2013, 6:42 pm
Aine from Ridge says:
Joe, once again your premise is false! Are you a fool to actually say that the military does not feed for profit corporations. War profiteering has been going on for centuries, you know ,supply and demand. The problem is that our warriors are not the recipients of these profits, and they bear enormous financial ,family,and health burdens. Check out a VA hospital vs a corporation boardroom and tell me there are no profits to be made.You know what trickles down and it is not the $'s ! And, the military "trolls high schools looking for troubled teens" . So, if you decide to join the military to serve our Nation ,you are troubled? How about the "idealism" that is supposedly the foundation of your character. Talk about Doosh Limberger verbiage! To paraphrase that despicable drugster he said only Blacks ,Hispanics, and White Trash sign up! So,do you believe that our Militray is made up of "troubled teens" or idealistic young Men and Women? Your sophistry is like nails on a blackboard! Alcohol and tobacco are legal and taxed and 18 yr olds should be able to make that decision themselves. Lead paint is against the law and that is a ludicrous comparison, as tenants would not be able to choose what kind of paint the land lord used if lead based paint was not outlawed! Voting,as we have seen(think Iraq) can be damaging to others health as I know you are not a troubled "teen " and therefore would not be in harms way ,but you wouldn't let the troops "smoke em if you got em" ! Tomorrow the sweet taste of victory! Soooo DEEELIcious!
Nov. 5, 2013, 9:22 am