The Fourth Annual Coney Island Children’s Halloween Parade

Kids collect free candy and rides in Coney Island

More than 1,000 kids put on their trick-or-treating gear and headed to the People’s Playground on Oct. 26 for the Fourth Annual Coney Island Children’s Halloween Parade.

A dazzling array of pint-sized monsters, princesses, comic book heroes, and movie stars strutted down the Boardwalk from MCU Park at W. 19th Street to Luna Park at W. 10th Street in a display of creepy seasonal spirit. But the fun didn’t end there.

The children — ranging from babies to age 15 — enjoyed a music and magic show at the ballpark to kick off the day-long freakfest, along with costumed characters and face-painting.

After the parade down the iconic wooden Boardwalk, Luna Park treated the tots to four hours of unlimited rides, plus a free ticket to the New York Aquarium. The tykes also got a load of free candy courtesy of new sweets shop IT’SUGAR at the corner of Stillwell and Surf avenues.

Organizers called the costumed cavalcade a sign of the area’s year-long recuperation from the wounds of Hurricane Sandy. Last year, the event attracted only about 600 participants on the weekend before that devastating storm.

“This year’s parade is unique in its celebration of Coney Island’s vibrancy and resiliency,” said Johanna Zaki, spokeswoman for the Alliance for Coney Island business group, a co-sponsor of the event. “It highlights how far the community has come in its recovery and how dedicated residents are to re-establishing celebrated neighborhood traditions.”

The annual phantasmagorical festival is co-sponsored by the Alliance with Dick Zigun’s Coney Island USA, and local Councilman Domenic Recchia (D–Coney Island).

Reach reporter Will Bredderman at wbredderman@cnglocal.com or by calling (718) 260-4507. Follow him at twitter.com/WillBredderman.
Updated 10:16 pm, July 9, 2018

John Wasserman from Windsor Terrace says:
If you don't mind my asking, is it really safe for children to be out and about this evening? Afterall, Hurricane Sandy was only one year ago and I've been hearing, and there may be some truth to this, that several folks are still without power, leading me to believe we're not through this disaster yet and, in any case, we should err on the side of caution and protect the children. Pardon the interruption.
Oct. 31, 2013, 11:33 am
John Wasserman from Windsor Terrace says:
And what did I miss while I was outat 12:33pm buying trick and/or treat candy? An impersonation? A personal attack? Anyway, and this is just a suggestion that I'm hoping will be pardoned: How about these people that don't have electricity after a year turn their homes into haunted houses and make a little extra money for the up and coming holidays? I think this would be wonderful, and I'd be the first in line. Thanks for reading.
Oct. 31, 2013, 12:40 pm
Biff from Ratnerville says:
Ahahahahhhaa Johns, made me laugh once again!
Oct. 31, 2013, 2:26 pm
John Wasserman from Windsor Terrace says:
Pardon me, but I was really hoping that the very above racist comment by an impersonated John Wasserman would be removed by now. John Wasserman doesn't use the N word unless its in quote form. Perhaps when you are done eating your delicious candy, you shall delete this, and the above racist comment. John Wasserman.
Oct. 31, 2013, 9:42 pm
T-Bone from DoBro says:
Once again, this paper shows a disregard for basic moderation and a racial slur remains on here after almost a day. And, they tried to frame Wasserman. I can't pardon that!
Nov. 1, 2013, 10:09 am
John Wasserman from Prospect Heights says:
I've reported this from my workplace and from my home. You can't really pardon this, if you will.
Nov. 1, 2013, 10:17 am
Ed from Bay Ridge says:
I also reported it. The slow takedown was inexcusable.
Nov. 1, 2013, 11:43 am