Sections

Child Injured at Wonder Wheel Park

Boy slipped out from under safety bar, fell out, was run over

Serpent bite: Wonder Wheel Park co-owner Steven Vourderis exits the shuttered Sea Serpent ride after the Aug. 14 accident.
The Brooklyn Paper
Share on TwitterTweet
Share on Facebook
Subscribe

Don’t miss our updates:

A five-year-old boy suffered a severe leg injury after falling out of a small rollercoaster at Deno’s Wonder Wheel Park — and then having the cars roll over him.

The park said that the child wriggled out from under the restraining bar on the Sea Serpent ride at 7 pm and fell onto the tracks, where he then became stuck under the cars. Ride operators reported that the safety bar was locked, that the child exceeded the attraction’s height requirement, and was riding with his sister — and that they are working with city inspectors to find out exactly how the accident occurred.

“It’s unfortunate, a child was injured, and we’re still investigating along with the authorities,” said funzone co-owner Dennis Vourderis.

Vourderis said his team inspects all the rides at the park daily, and that the Sea Serpent has been in operation at the park for 15 years without any previous problems. But the People’s Playground mainstay did say he was open to adding new safety features to the ride based on the city’s recommendations.

“We need to reassure the public the rides are safe,” said Vourderis. “We’ve ridden hundreds of thousands of children and adults and we have not had an incident.”

Our sister publication the New York Post reported that the boy suffered lacerations on his face and leg, while his sister received treatment for minor injuries. Vourderis said he did not know if their family would seek legal damages.

The Sea Serpent is still closed as inspectors continue check the ride, but the rest of Wonder Wheel Park remains open.

Reach reporter Will Bredderman at wbredderman@cnglocal.com or by calling (718) 260-4507. Follow him at twitter.com/WillBredderman.
Updated 10:14 pm, July 9, 2018
Today’s news:
Share on TwitterTweet
Share on Facebook
Subscribe

Don’t miss our updates:


Reasonable discourse

nancy from coney says:
I have to say this. I know this family personally. They are wonderful people and take excellent care of their rides and prorperty. This child took it upon himself to squirm under the bar and get off. It is not the fault of the vourderies.The child should have never been put on the ride if he was scared the parent should have been watching him.
Aug. 16, 2013, 8:27 am
jay from nyc says:
umm maybe a five year old kid should not be allowed on a ride in the first place?
Aug. 16, 2013, 6:39 pm
Midge from Carroll Gardens says:
Legal action?! Let's hope not!
Aug. 17, 2013, 10:42 am
javalover from Heights says:
Really hate the 5-year old got hurt, but I am happier he did not lose his life. Still, if he squirmed from underneath bar, for whatever reason he put his own life at risk. Sometimes kids do kid things, granted, but this was pretty scary. Best advice to amusement park: No adventerous 5-year olds on rides without parental figures.
Aug. 17, 2013, 11:38 am

Comments closed.

First name
Last name
Your neighborhood
Email address
Daytime phone

Your letter must be signed and include all of the information requested above. (Only your name and neighborhood are published with the letter.) Letters should be as brief as possible; while they may discuss any topic of interest to our readers, priority will be given to letters that relate to stories covered by The Brooklyn Paper.

Letters will be edited at the sole discretion of the editor, may be published in whole or part in any media, and upon publication become the property of The Brooklyn Paper. The earlier in the week you send your letter, the better.

Keep it local!

Stay in touch with your community. Subscribe to our free newsletter: