Bike Cult Show at Warsaw featuring some of Brooklyn’s best handmade bikes

Fitted bicycles

Getting a new bike is a lot like getting a new suit.

Handmade bicycle builders in Brooklyn say that before constructing a two-wheeler for a customer they take full body measurements of the person to make sure that the bicycle is a perfect fit for the rider’s body.

“It’s fully custom so the smallest detail is specific to that person,” said frame builder Benjamin Peck of Fort Greene’s Benjamin’s Cycles, adding that a factory-made bicycle cannot accommodate riders who might have longer legs and shorter torsos or the other way around.

“A custom built bike can accommodate them.”

Peck’s hand-built bicycles, which are all engraved with his signature, start at frames for $900 and the prices only go up from there when choosing the wheels and bike components like the handlebars, seating, and other customized add-ons.

“There’s a high attention to detail. The bike isn’t worked on in an assembly line through five different people – it’s worked on by one person and that one person builds it from start to finish,” said Peck, who specializes in all-steel custom bikes that cater to the city commuter.

Peck recently teamed up with David Perry, owner of Manhattan’s Bike Works NYC and a former US National team cyclist, and Harry Schwartzman, founder of the Brooklyn Bike Jumble, to create the upcoming inaugural Bike Cult Show — a two-wheeled version of an auto show that will only feature handmade rides.

Nearly 20 independent bikesmiths who hand-build one-of-a-kind bicycles will converge at the Warsaw in Greenpoint at the end of the month for the two-day festival on Aug. 30 and Aug. 31 that will spotlight the intricate two-wheeled creations from masterful bike crafters across the northeast.

Bike craftsman Thomas Callahan of Williamsburg’s Horse Cycles, whose two-wheelers will also be featured in the show, said that he specializes vintage-looking bicycles made with classic materials and high performance bicycles using newer materials like carbon fiber.

Callahan said that in order to create the two distinct looks he uses different methods of bike frame welding – tungsten inert gas welding for the high performance bike and gas welding for the classic-looking bike.

“Gas-welding is specifically for that hand carved ornate style,” he said. “You can’t get the kind of quality and workmanship details with the TIG welding when you’re gas welding.”

Callahan’s two-wheeled hand-built bikes start at $1,800 for a frame and fork.

Other Brookyn-based bike craftsman who will be showing off their creations at the bike show include Johnny Coast of Coast Cycles, Seth Rosko of Rosko Cycles, Lance Mercado of Squarebuilt, and Jack Wolf of Ceremony Bikes.

Peck said that festival attendees will get to feast their eyes on “the most beautiful handcrafted bikes in America that are all custom-crafted down to the best you can get.”

Bike Cult Show at Warsaw (261 Driggs Ave. between Eckford and Leonard streets in Greenpoint, www.bikecultshow.com). Aug. 30, noon–9 pm, Aug. 31, 10 am–4 pm, $10 per day, $15 two-day entry, free for children under 14.

Updated 10:14 pm, July 9, 2018

So... let's see how our favorite "locals" will disparage this small business owner today...
Aug. 23, 2013, 8:54 am
diehipster from Suplexing Cyclists says:
That's easy, Ty the ugly old woman.

Bicycles 'starting' at $1800 being sold and rode in working class neighborhoods. Very fitting. Very Brooklyn. End of story.
Aug. 23, 2013, 10:42 am
But no problem with the $30,000 cars/SUVs being sold and driven in working class neighborhoods?

Yeah, you can use the absurd "poor working men and women" line when all the cars parked on the street and in the driveway of these salt-of-the-earth neighborhoods are all filled with bare bones vehicles... many of these folks are spending this much on insurance alone every year in case their fancy cars are stolen.

$2,000 for someone's primary (non-public transit) vehicle? A vehicle that has little maintenance costs. Yeah. That just screams "Down with the working man!" Give me a break.
Aug. 23, 2013, 12:13 pm
Bendrix says:
Real New Yorkers drive SUVs at 100 miles an hour through residential areas, not these sissy two-wheeled contraptions. Real New Yorkers are all fat old Baby Boomers, not these under-40 idiots who think they can enjoy their lives. Not in MY CITY. I OWN THIS TOWN. I AM THE KIM JONG-IL OF BROOKLYN, MANHATTAN, THE BRONX, QUEENS AND STATEN ISLAND. Excuse me while I finish this hot dog and glare at some young people.
Aug. 23, 2013, 3:33 pm
old time brooklyn from slope says:
I can think of a lot better things to blow that kind of $ on.
Aug. 23, 2013, 4:15 pm
SwampYankee from runined Brooklyn says:
Bendrix,
I've been a responsible car owner my whole life. I was born in Brooklyn and have never so much as received a traffic ticket. I don't own an SUV, I don't speed and I am respectful of other on the road. I think I am fairly typical. No one in my family has ever received a ticket and I have 4 licensed drivers under my roof with one to come. What I can say, with utter certainty, is that you can stand in front of the Brooklyn Papers office at 1 MetroTech and count dozens of cyclists an hour going through the red light on Jay street every day. right through the red light, weaving around the pedestrians. dozens every hour. In my experience, and I have been in Brooklyn a lot longer than your transplanted ass, most cyclist routinely disobey traffic signals on a daily basis. Most automobile drivers do not. I guess you just think of yourself as one of those cyclists that really don't need to stop for red lights
Aug. 23, 2013, 4:44 pm
old time brooklyn from slope says:
Most automobile drivers do not.

I disagree - the vast majority drivers no not violate the law.
Aug. 23, 2013, 4:55 pm
Hmmm.... again. You see what you want to see.
Aug. 23, 2013, 6:12 pm
148 pedestrians were killed by drivers of automobiles in 2012. Drivers of automobiles also caused the deaths of 73 drivers/passengers, 18 cyclists, and some of the 35 motorcyclists. This was the third year in a row that ZERO pedestrians were killed by cyclists... You have to go back four years to find a pedestrian death by a cyclist... ONE in 2009.

In a major study recently published in the Journal of Trauma and Acute Care Surgery, "In 2010, 11,000 pedestrians and 3,500 bicyclists were injured by motor vehicles in New York City."

You can be all sanctimonious in your ignorance if you want, but those are the brutal facts. You see what you want to see. Don't let facts get in your way.
Aug. 23, 2013, 6:29 pm
The Chooch from Renovated Brooklyn says:
Tooshay Ty. They can kvetch like bluehaired ladies from Garritsen Beach, but there's nothing the mooks can do about it. They squandered Brooklyn and Brooklyn is leaving them behind. Their wasteful and destructive behaviour has dragged down the borough and the borough is shaking them off. The future of Brooklyn belongs to the hipster. It is a carbon-free city we will have, bike lanes, pedestrian zones, and trees and agriculture everywhere.
Aug. 23, 2013, 6:48 pm
bkmanhatposeur from brokeland says:
Working class schlubs in their $30k with road rage is more dangerous than a beardo on a breakless fixie zipping past red lights, stop signs, & jumping curbs.
And yeah I am transplant who has a car & bicycle. The problem is with most motorist in the city have very little regard for human life- savages.
Aug. 24, 2013, 7:23 am
Rufus Leaking from BH says:
You see what you want to see -

Plus

You assume that all the drivers of cars were at fault.

You see what you want to see
Aug. 24, 2013, 1:23 pm
Rufus,
Where do I assume that?! I hope you weren't on the debate team in high school.
Aug. 24, 2013, 6:16 pm
(Also, interesting editing... I guess I also assume all of the cyclists are at fault for the non-deaths?! Hmm...)
Aug. 24, 2013, 6:18 pm
SwampYankee from ruined Brooklyn says:
matters not, Benjamin’s Cycles is toast when the lease comes up. That neighborhood is becoming red hot. The forces of gentrification are paying massive rents and a million a condo in the 3 big monsters near Myrtle and Flatbush with another one going up a floor a day and plus DeKalb and 2 more lots being cleared for GENTRIFICATION. I wonder how Benjamin Peck feels looking out his front window at the rows of gleaming blue Citibikes right across the street? Last year he was renting bikes....not so much any more. Don't own the building you don't keep the business. He has no chance
Aug. 24, 2013, 8:41 pm
SwampYankee from ruined Brooklyn says:
Oh ,and pedestrian deaths are way, way down from historical highs. Even with higher automobile ownership and a rise in cyclist deaths are way down from 2001. http://bettercities.net/article/ny-traffic-deaths-hit-historic-low-15745
considering there are almost 2.5 million cars in the city, most of them used daily, 148 pedestrians is a tragedy, but statistically insignificant. .00006 per car........a tragedy, but statistically insignificant.
Aug. 24, 2013, 8:50 pm
sad. pathetic. desperate. lame. unfortunate.
Aug. 24, 2013, 9:32 pm
The Chooch from the cycle of gentrification says:
I do love my bike. He's right about the gas welding. Not a true fuse like you get with the TIG, but way retro. The 2nd World War was fought with gas-welded aircraft and ships, imagine that. I actually own a parking lot in Queens, but I own no car. Rather have the rent so I can splurge on one of those oversized antique brass horns for my bike. Ah-hoogah!
Aug. 25, 2013, 11:02 am
Pops from Boro Park says:
Bottom line, only a schmuck would spend 2 grand on a bike. This guy ought to be praised for scamming schmucks, not condemned. Now if i could only convince these smelly goyim hipsters to spend $10 on my pickles...
Aug. 25, 2013, 12:23 pm
SwampYankee from runined Brooklyn says:
Oh I do praise him, he is scamming hipsters. Only hipsters are stupid enough to pay that much for a bicycle.....but the hipsters are being pushed out of Ft Greene and the real money, the gentrifying yuppies are not stupid enough to pay hipster prices, even though they have the money. Now if this guy starts welding $2,000 strollers, the yuppies will pay for those.
Aug. 25, 2013, 2:12 pm
old time brooklyn from slope says:
well pops (schmckle) - use of the term 'goyim' puts you in the same boat as many ——s here _ (im married to a for hard core orthodox who escaped). how about if the paid cesh.
Aug. 25, 2013, 4:20 pm
Swampy... I'm sure there's a huge list of things that only you would be too stupid to pay for.

Oh I wonder why you think a custom-built piece of equipment is so ridiculous... oh I wonder.... Oh, no, I know. It's because you're an ignorant schmuck.

What other custom-made items are stupid scams? Custom suits? shirts? built-in shelving for your house? Various options for you new car?

I also find it HILARIOUS that you still have it stuck in your little head that only "hipsters" use bikes for transportation.
Aug. 25, 2013, 6:25 pm
SwampYankee from runined Brooklyn says:
Ty,
I have suits, really nice suits. I wear them to work. Seems I get paid lots because I wear suits. Seems silly but if nice suits put money in my pocket no problem. Shelves and custom carpentry? I do that myself. A good table saw, hand tools, no problem. I'm really good at cabinets and moldings too. I like doing finish carpentry. My dad taught me. He was really good, but I'm not bad. I can do light electrical and plumbing too. All part of a man owning a home and being able to fix things. I do these things because I like them and I can. Why would I pay someone $2,000 to build shelves? Thats stupid if I can do it. $2,000 is stupid for a hand built bicycle, it's not like there aren't plenty of fine bicycles available for less than $2,000. Are you telling me you can't get a really good bicycle for say......$500? It has to be hand crafted for $2, 000? Let the free market decide you silly hipster...this guy will be gone when his lease is up. This is true....you know this is true. Now go insert your hand crafted tampon you silly little beta-male.
Aug. 25, 2013, 6:59 pm
SwampYankee from ruined Brooklyn says:
and these bikes start at $1,800 for a frame and a fork. God forbid you want a seat and tires on your bicycle. Lord knows how much that would cost. $1,800 no tires, no seat, no brakes, no chain, no reflectors.....nothing. Ty, you don't even get a little ringy bell to let real New Yorkers that a real artisanal fauxheminon is blowing throgh a red light on his way to buy vegan treats. How much much does ht whole bike cost????? Are Treks good bikes? they seem to come with all the parts.. how much do these cost? http://www.trekbikes.com/us/en/bikes/town/dual_sport/
Aug. 25, 2013, 7:19 pm
The Chooch from Hipsteropolis says:
Swampy's underwear is showing. Now he's just stuck on autoplay. "Hipster" this "hipster" that. Like a Greenpoint bluehaired lady going on about Puerto Ricans in 1984. So, "hipsters" are categorically stupid and they're "all" (every one of them) getting "pushed out" by "yuppies" who are categorically smart. Talk about your dumbed-down mook Readers Digest guide to gentrification. The Chooch is crackin' up here. Einstein, hipsters and yuppies are interchangeable. They're shades of the same bourgeois gentrifier. You've got flush, property-owning hipsters in f*ck-palaces along Troutman Street, and you've got working stiff yuppies scrambling for apartments in Lefferts Gardens. It's not all about the tattooed beardo from central casting in whom you invest your bile. Tuck in your shirt, swampy.
Aug. 25, 2013, 7:26 pm
old time brooklyn from slope says:
ty from flatbaush and snmapster - when is the engagement party?
Aug. 25, 2013, 8:19 pm
creature from the black lagoon from gowanus says:
@ swampy
no, you can't get a $2000 bike for $500, unless its stolen. do you condone stealing? for $500 you get a made in china soda can bike with cheap components that will be more garbage in 5 years. if you can't tell the difference then buy the $500 bike that you probably won't ride. to each their own. i ride every day and i can tell the difference: my steel bikes will outlive me, if they don't get stolen. i also prefer to buy american when i have the option. do you?
Aug. 30, 2013, 4:12 pm