Finally! A valet for bikes!

Famous as a magnet for trains and cars, the Barclays Center will welcome bikes to an upcoming "National" concert.

There’s no longer a need to sit in an exhaust-spewing box to get to Barclays Center to see the “National” when now you can ride there in the open air have your bike parked by a valet.

Finally, the Barclays Center will offer free valet bicycle parking to those riding to Prospect Heights to see Brooklyn hometown band the National on June 5, in a clear acknowledgment that indie rock and bikes go together like peanut butter and chocolate.

“We knew the National would draw a big Brooklyn audience and it’s going to be nice out, so we thought we’d try something interesting,” said Ashley Cotton, of Forest City Ratner Companies, which runs the arena. “We picked a show that seemed like a pretty good fit.”

Bike advocacy group Transportation Alternatives will run the valet at the Barclays Center bike parking lot, which holds up to 400 bikes.

The valet will essentially be run like a coat check. Ticket holders pass off their bikes, locks, and helmets to attendants in exchange for numbered tickets, and then they will pick up their bikes when the show is over. Barclays Center will pick up the tab. Tipping, of course, is optional.

Transportation Alternatives runs bike valets at a variety of events around the city, including Celebrate Brooklyn concerts at Prospect Park, Movies With A View at Brooklyn Bridge Park, and most recently, Prospect Park’s controversial Great Googa Mooga festival, yet another sign that Brooklynites are pedaling more than ever.

“There’s a really diverse bunch of events that are attracting bike riders these days,” said Michael Murphy, spokesman for Transportation Alternatives. “It’s really blown up.”

But the decision by a large arena to add a bike valet represents a sea change, according to the bike advocate.

“It points to the increasing mainstreaming of bicycling as transportation all over the city,” said Murphy.

For now, this is just a test run to see if the valets are popular, said Cotton. But even if the Barclays Center does decide to continue with the service, chances are it will pick and choose which shows the valet parking will work with. It is unlikely that Barclays Center will offer bike valet for WWE Monday Night Raw or the Bernard Hopkins versus Karo Murat fight. And if Barbra Streisand ever comes back to the arena? Well, we’ll have to wait and see.

Still, Cotton said the bike valet fits in with Barclays Center’s campaign to alert ticket holders to the many ways to get to the arena, which makes sense from a business perspective.

“We are all about people taking public transit to Barclays Center and we know that people are walking to the arena in the highest numbers ever seen,” said Cotton. “When you’re thinking about real estate, it’s always about location, location, location, which also means transit, transit, transit.”

Murphy promised his company will definitely take better care of the valeted bikes than Fred and Carrie did in that episode of Portlandia, so they should be able to enjoy the concert without fearing for their two-wheeled pals.

Reach reporter Danielle Furfaro at dfurfaro@cnglocal.com or by calling (718) 260-2511. Follow her at twitter.com/DanielleFurfaro.
Updated 10:11 pm, July 9, 2018

diehipster from Tasering Tobys says:
Hmm. With the bikes being supervised, it will make it harder for me to clip the brake lines so the nasal brigades go crashing on the way home.
May 31, 2013, 6:09 am
Mike from Williamsburg says:
They won't be guarded, Mr. Hipster.

(Transportation Alternatives is setting a baited trap for people like you so they can gun you down.)
May 31, 2013, 6:51 am
Wow, diehipster... I thought you knew all about hipsters? You're even ignorant about the stereotype you whine about ALL OF THE TIME?

Fixies don't have brake lines, dummy.
May 31, 2013, 8:01 am
Mike from Williamsburg says:
Well, you know how it is/was Ty. In "Pure Brooklyn," words don't have definitions.
May 31, 2013, 8:08 am
Peter from Park Slope says:
What this article misses is that FCRatner originally committed to providing indoor secure bicycle parking for 400 bicycles. The outdoor parking they currently provide isn't secured, and is only partially guarded. The valet service provided here is an attempt to meet their previous commitment.

Source: http://atlanticyardsreport.blogspot.com/2013/05/now-valet-parking-for-bikes-at-barclays.html
May 31, 2013, 9:06 am
Joey from Clinton Hills says:
will there be enough available spots to park a Citibike?
May 31, 2013, 9:10 am
There are about 180 Citibike spots within a couple blocks of the Barclay's arena... so, this is probably an option for some. This sort of system isn't really design for events like this.

I wonder if the Citibike folks will "rebalance" the system before a Barclay's event -- i.e., move most of the bikes in the immediate area to somewhere else so there are more available docking stations. (Probably not, since events like this are fairly tangential to the purpose of bikeshare.)
May 31, 2013, 9:43 am
Or from Yellow Hook says:
Citibike folks will rebalance as soon as they load the racks onto an EVIL truck!
May 31, 2013, 10:41 am
Right, Or. I'm glad you took the opportunity to repeat your dumb comments about how supporters of alternate forms of transportation want all motor vehicles to disappear. I'm surprised you didn't throw in some dumb comment about bicycle ambulances or bicycle fire trucks.
May 31, 2013, 10:59 am
Eazy D from Sheepshead Bay says:
What's it going to be called, "Daily Snooze Bike Depot?"
May 31, 2013, 12:54 pm
Tal Barzilai from Pleasantville, NY says:
Peter, by now you should know that FCR has a history of broken promises. Ratner still has yet to promise all the jobs and affordable housing he said he will give to those that helped him get his way for the arena. I highly doubt that he will keep his promise for what he said on the bicycle parking. Honestly, I don't see why a valet is needed for this, but I guess it's for those who don't mind spending much more. Then again, if it makes cyclists have to pay like the rest of motorists do, then it may not be a bad idea, because they shouldn't be getting anything for free if the rest of us motorists have to pay as they keep demanding for.
May 31, 2013, 2:50 pm
Tal -- Tell me, how much did you say you pay for parking when you were last at a baseball game?
May 31, 2013, 3:41 pm
Tal Barzilai from Pleasantville, NY says:
Actually, ty, I didn't pay anything when I went to last night's Mets-Yankees game over in The Bronx. I just continued past Yankee Stadium over on Jerome Avenue, and found a space just past Shakesphere Avenue just a few blocks away, plus I was already allowed to park there after 4 PM being that it was in a school zone. The Yankees charge an arm and a leg for parking, which makes me glad that I avoided it. What they charge for tickets and concession is already high enough. BTW, I park on the streets also for games of the Mets, Knicks, Nets, and Liberty at all the places they pay just to avoid the costs, which is usually pretty pricey. On a side note, the Liberty have been around since 1997 as NYC's WNBA franchise when the league started at that year, and this will be their last season playing over at the Prudential Center before going back to MSG for next season as the renovations should be done by then.
May 31, 2013, 4:41 pm
Damn freeloader! Why don't you pay like the rest of motorists do!!!?!?!?

Why do you think it's OK for me to subsidize your parking on the street.... as a taxpayer I paid for a parking garage for you to use. Use it.

It's OK for me (a car-owning, bicycle-owning taxpayer) to subsidize YOUR parking... you, someone who doesn't pay New York City taxes that maintain the streets... but you are going to spew your ignorant bullsh*t about bicycle parking and all of the rest of the crap you spew.

Those streets YOU park on for all of the games you attend.... I pay for them. Not you. I pay for them. And so does everyone else who pays taxes in NYC. Not motor vehicle owners. I'm one of those. I don't pay any more tax to maintain the streets than someone who doesn't own a car.

YOU, Tal Barzilai, are the hypocritical freeloader... not the bicycle riders.
May 31, 2013, 4:55 pm
jay from nyc says:
Screw this car/bike nonsense I am taking my helicopter so you all can suck it!
May 31, 2013, 5:19 pm
Tal Barzilai from Pleasantville, NY says:
Ty, I can name a bunch of things I pay for to upkeep my car that aren't even subsidized at all, not to mention many of these fees increase every year. BTW, it's my taxes that were given to help subsidize for those bike racks by the Barclays Center knowing how much Ratner gets everything through subsidies especially by the state, so it is my taxes. Also, it's my taxes that help maintain the transit you take to the games or other places that you go to in the city especially to keep the fares you pay so low. One other thing, it's my taxes that cover all the MTA and PANYNJ crossings, and those increase in much higher rates than any fares ever do. Don't forget that it's my taxes that paid for even having that arena let alone the entire complex.
May 31, 2013, 6:14 pm
Wow Tal... it amazed me how dumb you are. The fact that after all this time you can't differentiate between taxes, usage fees, tolls, and... oh my f*cking god... PERSONAL expenses.... it's just baffling.
May 31, 2013, 7:19 pm
old time brooklyn from slope says:
ty the stalker strikes again.

I have two, yes two cars. one I keep in the driveway of the ponderosa and the other I store in a metro north lot. metro north was free for years now it is not but I get pretax $ to offset the cost. Ty I just want to thank you for subsidizing my private property - and in advance for my social security and Medicare (not to mention the wifes board of ed pension - she makes a small fortune on the side tutoring - all for cash. day I turn 70 I am buying a pack of Winstons - that much more for you to pick up the tab. I would rather ride a horse but you would wine about the free organic fertilizer mr ed leaves.
June 1, 2013, 10:15 am
old time -- The only reason you get that pre-tax benefit is because you are comfortable with tax fraud. This is a tax break meant for commuters, not for your storage. I'm glad you're so proud of how you've "played" the system. You're a real upstanding example of the community. It's nice to hear your wife is part of the tax fraud game too. Such a wonderful couple you are.
June 1, 2013, 11:17 am
I guess I'm a "stalker" for commenting on a website... unfortunately you are *actually* a criminal.
June 1, 2013, 11:18 am
old time brooklyn from slope says:
just doing my job ty - only a fool pays retail - mazel tov (forgot to mentioned the rent stableized apt - been in the family for years). you are only a criminal when convicted but to live outside the law you must be honest. Every cop is a criminal and all the sinners saints!!
June 1, 2013, 11:44 am
old time brooklyn from slope says:
Checking out at the store, the young cashier suggested to the older woman, that she should bring her own grocery bags because plastic bags weren't good for the environment.

The woman apologized and explained, "We didn't have this green thing back in my earlier days." The young clerk responded, "That's our problem today. Your generation did not care enough to save our environment f or future generations."

She was right -- our generation didn't have the green thing in its day.

Back then, we returned milk bottles, soda bottles and beer bottles to the store. The store sent them back to the plant to be washed and sterilized and refilled, so it could use the same bottles over and over. So they really were truly recycled. But we didn't have the green thing back in our day.

Grocery stores bagged our groceries in brown paper bags, that we reused for numerous things, most memorable besides household garbage bags, was the use of brown paper bags as book covers for our schoolbooks. This was to ensure that public property, (the books provided for our use by the school) was not defaced by our scribbling's. Then we were able to personalize our books on the brown paper bags. But too bad we didn't do the green thing back then.

We walked up stairs, because we didn't have an escalator in every store and office building. We walked to the grocery store and didn't climb into a 300-horsepower machine every time we had to go two blocks. But she was right. We didn't have the green thing in our day.

Back then, we washed the baby's diapers because we didn't have the throwaway kind. We dried clothes on a line, not in an energy-gobbling machine burning up 220 volts -- wind and solar power really did dry our clothes back in our early days. Kids got hand-me-down clothes from their brothers or sisters, not always brand-new clothing. But that young lady is right; we didn't have the green thing back in our day.

Back then, we had one TV, or radio, in the house -- not a TV in every room. And the TV had a small screen the size of a handkerchief (remember them?), not a screen the size of the state of Montana.

In the kitchen, we blended and stirred by hand because we didn't have electric machines to do everything for us. When we packaged a fragile item to send in the mail, we used wadded up old newspapers to cushion it, not Styrofoam or plastic bubble wrap.

Back then, we didn't fire up an engine and burn gasoline just to cut the lawn. We used a push mower that ran on human power. We exercised by working so we didn't need to go to a health club to run on treadmills that operate on electricity. But she's right; we didn't have the green thing back then.

We drank from a fountain when we were thirsty instead of using a cup or a plastic bottle every time we had a drink of water. We refilled writing pens with ink instead of buying a new pen, and we replaced the razor blades in a razor instead of throwing away the whole razor just because the blade got dull. But we didn't have the green thing back then.

Back then, people took the streetcar or a bus and kids rode their bikes to school or walked instead of turning their moms into a 24-hour taxi service. We had one electrical outlet in a room, not an entire bank of sockets to power a dozen appliances. And we didn't need a computerized gadget to receive a signal beamed from satellites 23,000 miles out in space in order to find the nearest burger joint.

But isn't it sad the current generation laments how wasteful we old folks were just because we didn't have the green thing back then?

Please forward this on to another selfish old person who needs a lesson in conservation from a smart-ass young person.
June 1, 2013, 4:05 pm
Jimmy from Prospect Heights says:
Old Time,
Based on your many previous posts, I have a feeling you don't actually embrace most of the items listed in that thing you just pasted from from internet. Seems like a pretty disingenuous and chock full of irony for you to post that.
June 1, 2013, 5:12 pm
old time brooklyn from SLOPE says:
SO IRONINIC HMMMM - not a matter of embracement but more oh my - how did we live without arse wipes correcting us - actually got that from a thespian colleague
of yesteryear
June 1, 2013, 5:41 pm
Or from Yellow Hook says:
Oh Jeeves, fetch my bike, it says CITIBANK on it, and it's blue, you can't miss it.
June 2, 2013, 12:50 pm
old time brooklyn from slope says:
given the problems citi has had re money laundering, anti boycott and sdl l violations it is amazing nyc will do business with them. also do not forget how they got millions in tax abatements to move to metrotech and as soon as it ended moved 100's of jobs to Tampa
June 2, 2013, 3:37 pm
old time brooklyn from slope says:

Fixies don't have brake lines, dummy.

I know many who put a back brake on

got rid of mine when I near creamed some old sob on Bedford ave
June 2, 2013, 7:22 pm
Tal Barzilai from Pleasantville, NY says:
In all honesty, I have been by the Barclays Center not too long after being built, and I don't see the bike racks there being used much. It makes me feel who is really using them. Just like the rest of the bicycle infrastructure, it feels like a waste of space and money. What is the whole point of demanding for all of this when it's barely even being used in reality?
June 2, 2013, 7:56 pm
Well, I guess the whole world should enjoy a sigh of relief knowing that decisions aren't made based on Tal Barzilai's "feelings."
June 3, 2013, 7:40 am
Steve Nitwitt from Sheepshead Bay says:
Gersh is hoping his bike won't get stolen or taken for a joy ride by the valet.
June 3, 2013, 1:25 pm
Tal Barzilai from Pleasantville, NY says:
Ty, I am just calling them as I see them, so I didn't make them up.
June 3, 2013, 3:21 pm
Tal, given your internal filter of ignorance, I'm not surprised anymore how you see the world... it doesn't make it anything more than the gut feelings of a willfully ignorant jerk from Pleasantville.
June 3, 2013, 4:37 pm
Tal Barzilai from Pleasantville, NY says:
Ty, where I come from, those that use name calling and other personal attacks are nothing but cowards, and are probably more afraid of those they are going up against than the other way around, which is why those like you resort to such.
June 3, 2013, 4:49 pm
Tal - Where I come from, dummies like you are not allowed to use computers without their mom.
June 3, 2013, 4:57 pm
Other Michael from Park Slope says:
Tal

My tax money goes to maintain the sewage treatment plant in Pleasantville, NY. Does that mean I can tell you what to eat?
June 3, 2013, 9:11 pm
Pat from 11211 says:
The Swiss are overly careful.
June 11, 2013, 12:07 pm