Parking meter costs to rise on Court, Smith, Atlantic

Better get some quarters — because rates at parking meters on Atlantic Avenue and Court and Smith streets will soon rise in a push by the city to free up often-occupied spaces.

Community boards 2 and 6 unanimously approved a Department of Transportation proposal to jack up Muni-Meter fees between 9 am and 7 pm in a plan dubbed “Park Smart” on Tuesday.

“Increasing the price of parking encourages people to only park as long as they need it and let someone else use it,” said CB2 district manager Robert Perris.

Starting this spring, fees will go up on Atlantic Avenue between the Brooklyn–Queens Expressway and Fourth Avenue, and on Smith and Court streets from Atlantic Avenue to Sackett Street. Motorists will soon shell out $1.50 for an hour, rather than $1; $2.50 for 90 minutes, up from $1.50; and $4 for two hours, instead of $2.

Both boards were big backers of the plan, agreeing in separate meetings that the bustling commercial streets are ready for a six-month pilot program, which was first proposed by the merchants of the Atlantic Avenue Business Improvement District.

CB6 district manager Craig Hammerman, who has seen “Park Smart” go from a trial to a permanent part of the Park Slope streetscape on the other side of his district, said the program works.

“We’ve had an extremely positive experience with it,” said Hammerman. “It’s accomplishing the goals that we had, which primarily was to encourage a more rapid turnover of vehicles.”

And, according to Hammerman, that helps the borough’s business community and neighborhood denizens.

“It means that merchants can get more customers to the curb for parking and it means there are fewer cars circling around looking for parking, so that’s a win-win for both the residents and the businesses alike,” said Hammerman.

But some Brownstone Brooklyn workers, who opt to feed the meter all day because it’s hard to find open spaces on residential side streets, say the plan is a pain.

“It will put more of a burden on the workers pockets because we don’t have a choice but to pay this all day,” said Bay Ridge resident Liana Trisciuzzi, who is an employee at Scotto’s Wine Cellar on Court Street.

Along with the meter hikes, the city plans to extend all one-hour parking meters to two hours, install truck-only loading zones at three locations, and legalize parking at three no-parking zones.

The board votes give the city the authority to implement the program, said Hammerman.

Reach reporter Will Bredderman at wbredderman@cnglocal.com or by calling (718) 260-4507. Follow him at twitter.com/WillBredderman.
Updated 10:09 pm, July 9, 2018

Borsin from Atlantic Ave says:
But some Brownstone Brooklyn merchants, who opt to feed the meter all day because it’s hard to find open spaces on residential side streets, say the plan is a pain.

----

And there, folks, lies your proof. Whenever people object to losing parking spaces or increasing rates, they don't actually care about customers. They care about business owners and employees who hog spaces all day.
March 14, 2013, 9 am
Mike from Williamsburg says:
"It will put more of a burden on the workers pockets because we don’t have a choice but to pay this all day,"

What blindness! What poverty of imagination! Someone let this woman know about choices.
March 14, 2013, 9:01 am
Gary Reilly from Carroll Gardens says:
Sorry to be pedantic, but quarters won't be necessary. The munimeters take bank cards and credit cards too.

As for the workers options … if only there were some other means of transportation available between Bay Ridge and Cobble Hill … perhaps some sort of underground railroad that would enable workers to commute to their jobs.
March 14, 2013, 10:26 am
Such obnoxious people... "we don't have a choice"

Uggh. All of a sudden the F train, several buses and the half dozen other trains just north of here are not a choice? I'm glad the Community Boards didn't listed to these whiners.

I wonder if they would be whining if the metermaids started enforcing the 2-hour limit? It's illegal to "feed the meter." They are supposed to move. I guess these workers should just start budgeting the $45 a day (fine).
March 14, 2013, 10:37 am
Tal Barzilai from Pleasantville, NY says:
First of all it is wrong to oppose people just becasue they work for a living and need to park. That being said I think that parking rates need to be lower here since it is so hard to find parking. Not everyone can bike to work you know. I think this is just a way to get more money from drivers since Bloomberg couldn't get congestion pricing passed at all which is why he squeezes drivers with high fines and wants to tax everything. It's just simple economics that if you want people to come to where you live you can't charge too much for parking. No one is going to spend so much money parking that htey don't have money left over to spend in a local business that needs it. And before you disagree with me remember that I drive and spend money too.
March 14, 2013, 1:16 pm
Mike from Williamsburg says:
Tal, this woman does not need to park. This woman has made many many choices, and at the end of that decision tree she finds herself with no option except to pay more to park. That is not the same as needing to park.

Do you really think lower parking rates make it easier to find parking? Or was that a slip? It's just so opposite of how prices work that I wanted to clarify before I go into that part.

Think for a second whether more people go to Manhattan every day or to a shopping mall in Columbus, OH. Manhattan gets more people. Yet parking costs more in Manhattan! So maybe you need to expand beyond your "simple economics," which does not explain the real world, to a more complex economics that does.
March 14, 2013, 1:51 pm
Tal Barzilai from Pleasantville, NY says:
Of course lower parking rates leads to more parking. That's simple to everyone except you Mike. That mall in Columbus offers free parking so that's why those parking lots are easy for people to park in. Parking in Manhattan is too expensive which is why parking is a problem there and needs to be made cheaper. Why this doesn't occur to you is probably because you don't understand how to drive and look for parking. And you are comparing apples to oranges to so many other things since populations rates and driving rates are not the same thing Mike. But you probaby don't care and just hate cars. YOu should stop demonizing drivers for a minute.
March 14, 2013, 1:57 pm
Tal -- You are ignorant. Period.
March 14, 2013, 2:21 pm
No... not ignorant. Just plain stupid. Ignorance can be fixed. You can't fix stupid.
March 14, 2013, 2:27 pm
Tal Barzilai from Pleasantville, NY says:
Wouldn't you know that ty resorts to name calling as if that refutes what I have to say. Practice what you preach as the saying goes so why not stop it with the names. I don't call you names but I do refute your arguments with facts. Try using some sometimes if you want respect. Or maybe you should try looking for parking since that's what this is about and you need some experience in that department.
March 14, 2013, 3:35 pm
Mike from Williamsburg says:
Tal, you got the response you deserve from ty. Now I'm going to give you one you don't deserve: an earnest response.

If parking were free on Court St and I drove my car there, I would not find a space. Other people would have already parked there. In fact, no one could ever drive to Court St and find a space because the people who want to find free parking would flock to Court St. and then leave only in emergencies. However, if parking cost $1,000 per hour, I would be able to find a parking space immediately every single time. I would pay a pretty penny for it, but finding a spot would be easy. And that is what you originally said: "finding parking."

Parking is easy to find at the mall in Columbus because someone decided to build a lot of spaces. People could do that here too. But "simple economics" will tell you that's a waste of space in Brooklyn. No one wants to build free parking because there are better uses for the space.

I do understand how to drive and how to look for parking. It is EXACTLY because I understand how to drive and look for parking that I DON'T DO THAT. There are better ways to get around Brooklyn.

What you don't understand is how prices allocate scarce resources in market economies. Of course, when you say parking "is too expensive which is why parking is a problem there and needs to be made cheaper," you give away your Soviet-style command economy mentality.

I am not demonizing drivers. I am making fun of a woman who thinks she has no choice but to drive, and I giving you far more respect and energy than you deserve.
March 14, 2013, 3:35 pm
LKB from Ft Greene says:
Think of a parking spot like a chair at a cafe. If you let people nurse $2 coffees all day and use free wifi, you'll lose out business because no one else can use the chairs.

If you charged for wifi, or made people make a certain amount of purchases per hour, then when *I* went to said cafe, there would probably be a seat open. And I could choose to sit down in it.
March 14, 2013, 3:55 pm
Tal Barzilai from Pleasantville, NY says:
What exactly did I miss after being out for a long day especially working outside in such windy conditions today not to mention that I wasn't finished with my job until after 3 PM and didn't get online until just now? Still, trying to impersonate me is very uncalled for and shows how low some of you really tend to go for. Nevertheless, the rates shouldn't be raised at all. They are already has high as they are right now. I never could get this Park Smart program, though I think some will be smart enough just to avoid that area. If that is the case, then no revenue, which is most likely the true intention, can be made. As for Liana Trisciuzzi, try looking at why she drives up there rather than taking either the subway or bus rather than the how, and then you will understand why she chooses to drive up there instead. The same goes for anyone else who chooses to drive rather than mass transit when one actually looks for the causes rather than the effects of why they make such a choice.
March 14, 2013, 4:03 pm
Tal Barzilai from Pleasantville, NY says:
Please don't remind me of wi-fi zones with coffee, because that's the case with Starbucks, LKB. I can barely find a place to sit there thanks to that. If those people want privacy when using their laptops there, they have to remember that they are in a public place and can't have that when they can always just go home. I believed that it was a bad idea from the start.
March 14, 2013, 5:19 pm
You can't fix stupid.
March 14, 2013, 6:41 pm
Tal Barzilai from Pleasantville, NY says:
Disregarding the insults made by such cowards like ty and Mike aimed at me, raising the rates sound more as if they are the ones that are broke especially the BID. Again, if the spots are empty most of the day, then they can't make a revenue off of it. The only time the spots will be filled is probably on the last hour or two before it's free for the rest of the day or on Sundays when they are not even in effect. When I look for a parking spot during the day, I usually go for areas where I don't have to pay, so there are some areas I look at and understand the signs there especially if they go by alternate side parking only, so I can use them to my advantage, thought this only seems to work in Manhattan for being two days a week, and I do check the city website to see if they will be in effect that day or suspended due to certain days when there are such. Other times, I might just use the ones that lift after 4 PM by schools during the week. The reason I park in such places is not just because they are free, but because I will be spending much of the day there, so not having to pay does let me feel unhindered by time and money to spend there.
March 14, 2013, 7:11 pm
Rob from Greenpoint says:
Stop engaging Tal. You are as bad as him. Trolls and anti-trolls -- the same. Enough!

Anyway, yes, let's do this. Overly cheap parking leads to what we have now- dysfunctional parking. Raise the rates!
March 14, 2013, 7:42 pm
It is a shame that Tal is so disconnected from reality. It's sad, really.
March 14, 2013, 8:07 pm
Tal Barzilai from Pleasantville, NY says:
I wouldn't be surprised if those who support raising the meter rates don't drive on a normal basis like I do, because then you will understand why I consider this getting the royal screw job.
March 14, 2013, 8:13 pm
Stop Tal from Unpleasantville, NY says:
ty, stop engaging him.
March 14, 2013, 8:13 pm
I like how insulting him is "engaging" :-)

I would like to give Tal the royal screw job... I think he'd like it.
March 14, 2013, 9:01 pm
jay from nyc says:
make them market rate, charge the same as parking garages in the area, use the extra revue to hire police to enforce traffic laws.
March 14, 2013, 10:06 pm
Friend of Marty Mashugana from Borough Haul says:
Another attempt a f-ing people who own cars by the city.
March 15, 2013, 5:54 am
Mike from Williamsburg says:
Well, Friend of M, the people who own cars certainly do enough damage to the city that some f-ing is in order.
March 15, 2013, 6:40 am
Rob from Greenpoint says:
Friend of Marty,

I don't know if you're trolling or not, but actually this will help drivers! You'll waste less gas cruising for parking.. because you should find a spot more easily.
March 15, 2013, 7:08 am
ty from dbowl says:
I like the way everything gets delivered by bike in this town. It would be real progress if we could bring back horses.
March 15, 2013, 9:20 am
Other Michael from Park Slope says:
Lets call it what it is. It is not parking, it is a "free or cheep place to store your personal property on public land."

At $1.50 an hour it is still a bargain.
March 15, 2013, 11:47 am
"ty from dbowl" -- What do deliveries have to do with parking meters? (Hint: Nothing)
March 15, 2013, 3:38 pm
Tal Barzilai from Pleasantville, NY says:
If anyone really thinks that raising the rates will make more want to park there, I would like to know what some of you are taking, though it wouldn't mean that I would want it anyway. For example, not that long ago, a parking garage near Yankee Stadium was raised, and it turned out that even less were using it. The reason was that many didn't want to pay more just to park there, and the place was losing many just by simply doing that. The same thing can apply for this BID on raising the rates for muni-meters, because there will be a number of people who go to other blocks where it's less. In other words, they will run the risk of not making a revenue. The reason there will always be spaces available will be because most wouldn't want to pay that much for just a short time.
March 15, 2013, 5:04 pm
Other Michael from Park Slope says:
Tal

More spaces will be available because people will not leave their car their all day. There will be turnover. The point of the meters is to make is so people can find a place to put their cars for a few hours, not all day.

You can't compare Atlantic Ave to Yankee Stadium. These are different things.
March 15, 2013, 7:12 pm
Tal Barzilai from Pleasantville, NY says:
Other Michael, my point was about why raising the prices will actually do more harm than good. Even for about two hours, many motorists will see the rates as being steep, and will probably avoid that for the most part. If that's the case, then the BID can't make any revenue off of that let alone a profit. Hearing about this Park Smart program is almost similar to the privatizing of metered parking in Chicago in which the parking rates are even higher as are the fines if one doesn't get back to their car before the time expires. Of course it won't be difficult to find parking there when this in effect, because many will most likely be avoiding that. BTW, saying that muni-meters take credit and debit cards, that is not the case for the ones that commercial vehicles, who have to use quarters only during the day unless they have a parking card.
March 16, 2013, 4:02 pm
Other Michael from Park Slope says:
Tal

Have you ever tried to shop on Atlantic Ave, or visit a doctor on 4th Ave?

The point is that it is still not a lot a money to park for a few hours. It is a lot of money if you are going to park there all day, every day.
March 16, 2013, 8:41 pm
Tal Barzilai from Pleasantville, NY says:
Other Michael, think of this as opening up a lemonade stand on your street. When many see how much it costs to get a cup for a low price, you will get a lot of customers. However, when you raise the price, you will get fewer, because they will feel that the amount you raised it to is starting to get steep just for one cup. This is exactly why raising the rates for the muni-meters shouldn't be done. If fewer end up using them because of the hikes, then no revenue can be made from that. If you still think that the proposed meter hikes for that block is a bargain, then I guess you don't mind paying an extra 25 cents when riding the subway and city buses, though with the recent fare hike, that is still cheaper compared to how much it costs to pay the muni-meters, though when meter hikes come, they are not in quarters like fares are.
March 17, 2013, 11:09 am
Other Michael from Park Slope says:
Tal

I understand supply and demand.

I wish you would understand that the 50 cents more to park you car and go shopping will not stop anyone from parking and going shopping for an hour.

But it will might stop someone from keeping their car there all day. In an 8 hour day, that would be $4.

If that person does not store their car in front of a business all day, maybe more people will get to shop there.
March 17, 2013, 11:47 am
Tal Barzilai from Pleasantville, NY says:
Then I take it then you don't mind paying an extra 25 cents when taking the subway and city buses. I don't think that latest fare hikes will make them stop using them unless they can walk long miles. Compared to the meter hikes, the fare hike is actually peanuts to this especially when they are still less than what it costs to pay the muni-meters. It's not like meter hikes are in quarters like fares are which really does show who is getting the royal screw job here.
March 17, 2013, 12:13 pm
Other Michael from Park Slope says:
Tal

Royal screw job???

Do you understand the benefit to society when people use mass transit?

The Earth and its inhabitants are being unscrewed just a little bit every time some decides to leave their car home and take mass transit.
March 17, 2013, 3:58 pm
Other Michael from Park Slope says:
and Tal

Do you know the actual purpose of parking meters?

They are in commercial areas to discourage people from leaving their cars there all day. So that the costumers of the businesses in that area can park.

This is Brooklyn, not Pleasantville, NY.
March 17, 2013, 6:07 pm
Tal Barzilai from Pleasantville, NY says:
Other Michael, as much as you hate cars, there are still going to be places where people are going to be needing them. I suggest you try looking for the causes to why there are those of us who drive on a normal basis rather than the effects. Just like Streetsblog has pages to why there are those that ride bicycles, there are also stories to why some of us drive. Unfortunately, mass transit doesn't go everywhere, and NYC is actually the only city in the entire world that runs its system all the time while the rest just shut it down late at night making those at those times look for ways to get around especially when working the night shift. BTW, you don't need to educate me on the purpose of parking meters, because I know all about them. However, they were supposed to be placed only on areas that happen to be commercial or retail. It was only later on that they were extended to residential areas. On a side note, Pleasantville, only has metered parking in its CBD and other business or retail, but not in residential areas.
March 17, 2013, 6:38 pm
Other Michael from Park Slope says:
Tal

Do you understand that metered parking is only in the business districts of NYC too. Come visit the places you love to comment on and you would find out.

and why do you say I hate cars? I love a place to put mine when I go shopping.
March 17, 2013, 9:06 pm
Salvatore Passalaqua from Bay Ridge says:
The yuppies at it again. When will you sheeples get it? It's the "all about me crowd". Clearly it's not just about "the meters" in this case.. This is a battle that the average working Joe of Brooklyn will never win. The yuppies have worked very hard at keeping outsiders in, this is just another way.

Yuppies are setting the trend here, they already have. They don't mind driving their gas guzzling vehicles from one side of the borough to the other to buy their overpriced but freshly organic and 100% grass fed groceries, as long as the groceries are placed in a trend setting brown paper bag that looks cool while pretending to savethe earth. Hypocrites! To them it's all about me, me and me.

The truth is, park slope isn't for your average Joe. Average Joe can't afford it. And if he could, why on God's green earth, would your "average" working Brooklynite waste their off work time, their gas and their hard working quarters just to go outside their zipcode to buy overpriced trendy groceries when they shop at their local keyfood or pathmark for half the price and a free parking lot to boot. Wake up sheeples.

If you really desire the better life, all natural, green pastures, clean water and fresh air....then why do you live in this polluted air, rat infested and congested city? Or is that trendy urban lifestyle that you really desire?
June 4, 2013, 8:41 am