Sections

City extends bulk debris pickup until March 18

Sanitation extends debris pickup

Brooklyn Daily
Share on TwitterTweet
Share on Facebook
Subscribe

Don’t miss our updates:

Your friendly, neighborhood, tax-paid garbage guys from the Department of Sanitation will be picking up your towering piles of Sandy debris until March 18, extending the city agency’s bulk pickup program even further past their previous Feb. 18 deadline.

Sanitation workers will not pickup debris created by privately contracted workers repairing Sandy damage, or other construction projects, according to a sanitation spokesman.

“We don’t take commercial waste,” said a city spokesman. “We were in the beginning, because it was a hard pressed time, but now folks have money from FEMA, so they have money to have the work done.”

So far, sanitation crews have collected over 415,000 tons of debris, although they’re attempting to wind down the extensive pickup project.

“We’ve collected so much debris, eventually it has to stop,” said the Sanitation Department’s spokesman.

Reach reporter Colin Mixson at cmixson@cnglocal.com or by calling (718) 260-4514.
Updated 11:48 am, January 16, 2019
Today’s news:
Share on TwitterTweet
Share on Facebook
Subscribe

Don’t miss our updates:


Reasonable discourse

Comments closed.

First name
Last name
Your neighborhood
Email address
Daytime phone

Your letter must be signed and include all of the information requested above. (Only your name and neighborhood are published with the letter.) Letters should be as brief as possible; while they may discuss any topic of interest to our readers, priority will be given to letters that relate to stories covered by The Brooklyn Paper.

Letters will be edited at the sole discretion of the editor, may be published in whole or part in any media, and upon publication become the property of The Brooklyn Paper. The earlier in the week you send your letter, the better.

Keep it local!

Stay in touch with your community. Subscribe to our free newsletter: