Brooklyn vandals

Vandals tag Old Glory

A true-blue artist is seeing red over the vandal who desecrated his Old Glory mural in Kensington, and he says he won’t brush away the spiteful deed until the unpatriotic perp is slapped with a bias crime.

“This is someone who hates what America stands for,” said Scott LoBaido, whose image of the American flag on a wall on McDonald Avenue near Cortelyou Road was marred with the phrase, “Patriotism makes me sick.”

The incident was caught on camera and LoBaido, a Staten Island-based muralist who has painted more than 1,000 Old Glories across the nation without major incident, hopes it will lead cops to the culprit’s trail.

LoBaido hopes the vandal isn’t a disgruntled 99 percenter.

“I’m hoping that it’s not a radical member of Occupy Wall Street who is using guerilla tactics,” LoBiado said, adding that the mischief-making was a slap to freedom fighters. “I know what those flags represent to those veterans in the community, and it probably made them sick to see it.”

LoBaido said his artwork had been targeted by graffiti vandals before, but their scribblings were harmless in comparison.

“That was a matter of some punk not realizing what he’s tagging,” he said. “This is beyond that.”

The building owner who commissioned the artwork said its defilement made him uneasy.

“It doesn’t leave me with a good feeling about our neighbors in Brooklyn,” said John Gentile.

The NYPD did not return calls for comment.

Reach reporter Eli Rosenberg at erosenberg@cnglocal.com or by calling (718) 260-2531. And follow him at twitter.com/emrosenberg.
Updated 11:13 am, May 23, 2012

manhatposeur from manhatland says:
"The grainy surveillance video posted on YouTube shows the bearded hoodlum pulling up in a minivan on May 14 at 1:07 am and posting his scrawling before speeding off."

Sounds like whacky hipster to me.
May 23, 2012, 11:04 am
Defilement from Made him uneasy says:
"Nationalism is an infantile disease. It is the measles of mankind." - Albert Einstein
May 23, 2012, 1:41 pm
Sal from Red Hook says:
I bet it's a globalist using guerrilla tactics.
May 24, 2012, 12:51 am
Pat from Queens says:
Look, these black people get all the benefits of living in a great country, but their only goal is just to turn it to sh*t. I can't believe that some nig just came and did this. It's really a nightmare.
May 24, 2012, 3:27 am
Bruce from midwood says:
@ Defilement Einstein was a math and physics genius but socially inept probably not unlike you.
May 25, 2012, 9:42 am
nancy from coney says:
this is a slap in the face to eveything my family holds dear my father served his country in ww2. my family came here as immigrants and busted their asses to to make thier way and took no hand outs from the goverment we made it on our own we are amerian all t he way and its sad that some stupid fool chose 2 desicrate a precious symboland something that someone worked hard 2 produce. thats a slap in the face to all true americans if you so hate america then go back to whatever country you came from and if you are american and and hate america leave we have enough freeloaders here
May 26, 2012, 8:28 am
Ken from Park Slope says:
@ Pat from Queens, I think abuse of US government assistance is a major problem, but what do "black people" have to do with that or even this report? When you say "black people" do you mean all "black people" in the country? Did you view the clip? This story annoys me because I love my country with all it's glory and flaws and there is no place else I would rather be. I hope if he is caught that he is charged with more than defacing property although that probably will not happen.
June 3, 2012, 9:43 am