Flatbush family overcome by fumes

Brooklyn Daily
Share on TwitterTweet
Share on Facebook

Don’t miss our updates:

A fire broke out in the basement of a Glenwood Road building on Nov. 11 — mixing up a noxious cocktail of carbon monoxide and pesticides that sickened seven residents.

Firefighters and paramedics raced to the home, located near Albany Avenue, at 12:26 am, after a small blaze broke out in the basement of the storefront building.

Witnesses said the victims, which included two adults and three children, rushed out of their smoke-filled apartments retching and vomiting.

Sources said the landlord fumigated the basement earlier in the day. When the fire broke out, it mingled with pockets of carbon monoxide that was already in he basement, they said.

“It was a smoky fire, and the people who lived in the apartments were quickly overcome by the fumes,” an FDNY source said.

It was unclear what sparked the fire by Monday night. Residents were treated at the scene — and were allowed to go back home after the entire building was aired out.

Reach reporter Thomas Tracy at or by calling (718) 260-2525.
Updated 11:48 am, January 16, 2019
Today’s news:
Share on TwitterTweet
Share on Facebook

Don’t miss our updates:

Reasonable discourse

Comments closed.

First name
Last name
Your neighborhood
Email address
Daytime phone

Your letter must be signed and include all of the information requested above. (Only your name and neighborhood are published with the letter.) Letters should be as brief as possible; while they may discuss any topic of interest to our readers, priority will be given to letters that relate to stories covered by The Brooklyn Paper.

Letters will be edited at the sole discretion of the editor, may be published in whole or part in any media, and upon publication become the property of The Brooklyn Paper. The earlier in the week you send your letter, the better.

Keep it local!

Stay in touch with your community. Subscribe to our free newsletter: