Alright. The Weekender gets it. The mercury’s hit 80, the sky’s all dark and stormy, the humidity’s got you sweatin’ like a tree frog in the Amazon Basin. That’s still no excuse to sit around and soak up the freon all day. Don that tank top, smear that deodorant, and get out there, Brooklyn!
• Snack on some delectable Italian street-fare at the Feast of the Giglio in Williamsburg this Sunday, as the neighborhood’s burliest flex for this time-honored tradition.
• Mon Dieu! It’s never too early to start your Bastille Day festivities, and what better way is there to celebrate the French Republic than with the Ancien Régime’s biggest name in playwriting? Check out Molière’s “The Miser” in Park Slope this Friday.
• Sex? Intrigue? Pagans? Yep — Gowanus. Italian composer Francesco Cavalli’s timeless opera about lusty Greek gods and their fiery flings comes to Brooklyn’s best (worst? only?) canal this Friday.
• Game on, Brooklyn! Guitar-tetris, a Pong confessional, and something called “Brainexplode!” are kicking off this year’s Game Play Festival in Williamsburg, starting this Saturday, though a free sampler of all the events is set for Friday.
• Here it is! The big one! The highest level of Brooklyn kickball is holding its international (read: tri-state area plus Canada and Atlanta) all-star game this weekend. Will the New Frontiersmen continue their season-long dominant streak? Or will the Canucks give the natives a taste of Canadian bacon? Find out this Saturday!
• You don’t have to be a marathoner to appreciate this immersive play about every jogging-junkie’s inner monologue, in and around (literally) Prospect Park this Saturday. No stilettos, please — running shoes recommended.
• Head on over to Mill Basin’s Floyd Bennett Field for a quick dip, some pick-up volleyball, and, oh yeah, maybe the park’s biggest concert all year. (Ironic dodgeball and music from the Wild Yaks included).
• It’s not too late to work on that beach bod! Well, maybe it is. The city has hiked gym membership dues, but hey — beauty is pain, right?