Sections

Walentas’s Dock Street school moves forward

The Brooklyn Paper
Share on TwitterTweet
Share on Facebook
Subscribe

Don’t miss our updates:

Developers of the controversial Dock Street high-rise project will make good by their promise to build a middle school inside their tower, inking a deal with the city this week for a 300-seat facility.

Two Trees Management — which owns the site under the Brooklyn Bridge — will swallow the cost of constructing the school, a move that the city says will save millions of dollars while providing a new option for District 13 families in DUMBO and Brooklyn Heights.

“We couldn’t be prouder or more excited,” said head developer Jed Walentas, adding that construction of the 17-story building will begin next spring and be completed in time for the 2014 school year.

From the outset, Walentas and his development team had promised the middle school as a sweetener to get the often-assailed project through the city’s public review process. Critics, including celebrities Ken Burns, historian David McCullough and actress Helen Hunt, attacked the promise as a sham to deflect attention from the project’s main flaw: Its proximity to the bridge and its size would destroy some views of the fabled span.

As such, this week’s contract between Two Trees and the School Construction Authority didn’t satisfy some.

“The school is a red herring,” said Gus Sheha of the DUMBO Neighborhood Foundation, which sued the city claiming that it colluded with Walentas because he promised the money-saving school. “It was used as a way to jam through this very unpopular project.”

The lawsuit came just weeks after internal city e-mails emerged that suggested that the city was simply pretending to consider other site options.

“I think we have to follow up on this [other site] just so we can say that the Walentas project is such a good deal,” read one smoking gun e-mail.

One member of the City Council called the memo “the most disturbing document that I have seen,” but the project was nonetheless approved by a large margin.

Even so, many politicians have supported it for years. Borough President Markowitz hailed this week’s contract as the first step towards adding a “much needed” school in Downtown.

He also praised the project overall, citing its affordable housing units, retail and 465 parking spaces.

“I am thrilled,” he said.

Updated 5:24 pm, July 9, 2018
Today’s news:
Share on TwitterTweet
Share on Facebook
Subscribe

Don’t miss our updates:

Reasonable discourse

Nash from Dumbo says:
Find Walentas and two trees to be abrasive and insensitive, including those who work for two trees...And now it appears they may even be corrupt. Sad. sad. sad.
And also of course if you introduce a highrise you then have to build 456 parking spaces. Its a never ending cycle of destruction with poorly thought out impact to pedestrians and the historic beauty and inspiring lift Roebling's bridge has provided for over a century. Ruined by one man and those he can pull in.
Jan. 9, 2012, 1:43 pm

Comments closed.

First name
Last name
Your neighborhood
Email address
Daytime phone

Your letter must be signed and include all of the information requested above. (Only your name and neighborhood are published with the letter.) Letters should be as brief as possible; while they may discuss any topic of interest to our readers, priority will be given to letters that relate to stories covered by The Brooklyn Paper.

Letters will be edited at the sole discretion of the editor, may be published in whole or part in any media, and upon publication become the property of The Brooklyn Paper. The earlier in the week you send your letter, the better.

Keep it local!

Stay in touch with your community. Subscribe to our free newsletter:

Optional: