Sections

April 16, 2011 / Brooklyn news / Brooklyn Is Angry

The Siren screams! Manhattan newspaper cancels festival

The Brooklyn Paper
Share on TwitterTweet
Share on Facebook
Subscribe

Don’t miss our updates:

It’s the day the music died!

The beloved Siren Music Festival, a decade-old free rock show that annually raged on Coney Island, is being moved out of the People’s Playground to neighboring borough. The Village Voice, the Manhattan-based newspaper that sponsored the event, announced the river-crossing on its website Thursday night.

Worse, the day of music is changing its name, and will now be held at (hold your nose) … the South Street Seaport.

“I’m shocked to hear this!” exclaimed Dick Zigun, who runs the Coney Island sideshow. “This sucks, the Siren Festival is such a Coney Island brand.”

The Village Voice could not be reached for comment and the online press release only indicates that it has rechristened the show the “4Knots Music Festival,” whatever that means.

“Siren had a fantastic 10-year run, but the 4 Knots Festival will replace it on the Voice’s summer-show docket,” reads the Village Voice’s website. “Embrace change!”

That’s a hard nut to swallow for Coney Island lovers — who’ve seen their beloved entertainment district live through more up and downs during the past few years than there are on its signature ride, the Cyclone roller coaster.

Last month, the Ringling Bros. and Barnum & Bailey circus decided to fold up its tents after a two-year run along the Boardwalk. But the new Luna Park, which opened on the site of the former Astroland, has been a runaway hit.

But that doesn’t soften the blow for locals who loved the event.

“We’re sure going to miss them,” said Community Board 13 District Manager Chuck Reichenthal. Reichenthal. “I don’t know why they made this change.”

This isn’t the first music shake-up for Coney Island’s new season, which kicks off Saturday. Earlier this month city announced it will move Borough President Markowitz’s summer concert series from Asser Levy Park to a new venue after a lawsuit claimed the controversial festival violated city noise rules.

Updated 5:23 pm, July 9, 2018
Today’s news:
Share on TwitterTweet
Share on Facebook
Subscribe

Don’t miss our updates:


Reasonable discourse

Myrtle Willoughby from BoCoCaCa says:
Let them eat cotton candy!
April 16, 2011, 11:23 am
jj from brooklyn says:
makes sense. coney's dead. it will rise again — as a sanitized venue for the rich.
April 16, 2011, 7:27 pm
jerry from brighton beach says:
Well, now that the Siren Fesitval is cancelled , BP Marty Markowitz can now have his Seaside Concerts on West 10th St.It would be a great venue for Marty.
April 18, 2011, 3:10 pm

Comments closed.

First name
Last name
Your neighborhood
Email address
Daytime phone

Your letter must be signed and include all of the information requested above. (Only your name and neighborhood are published with the letter.) Letters should be as brief as possible; while they may discuss any topic of interest to our readers, priority will be given to letters that relate to stories covered by The Brooklyn Paper.

Letters will be edited at the sole discretion of the editor, may be published in whole or part in any media, and upon publication become the property of The Brooklyn Paper. The earlier in the week you send your letter, the better.

Keep it local!

Stay in touch with your community. Subscribe to our free newsletter: