Sections

More delays at Vanderbilt Playground

The Brooklyn Paper
Share on TwitterTweet
Share on Facebook
Subscribe

Don’t miss our updates:

It took six years for the Vanderbilts to build the Biltmore Estate — now Windsor Terrace residents are hoping it doesn’t take that long to finish renovations of the Prospect Park playground that bears the family’s name.

The opening of the Vanderbilt Playground at Vanderbilt Street and Prospect Park Southwest, scheduled for Sept. 14, has been delayed indefinitely — disappointing locals who had hoped to take advantage of the upgraded space with the heatwave still simmering.

“We were really excited to have a nice addition to our part of the park — and just in time for us to use it this summer!” said Amy Sandgrund, who had dreamt of taking her 3- and 6-year old kids to the playground. “By the time it opens, it’ll be cold — and certainly the sprinklers won’t be on!” The Vanderbilt Street playground has been closed since last August, and is one of the most popular play areas for tots around Windsor Terrace.

Prospect Park spokesman Eugene Patron attributed delays in the completion of the project to the contractor in charge.

“Two of the subcontractors on the job were changed,” said Patron. “Getting the new subcontractors lined [up] to work with the primary one pushed back finishing the project.”

Patron added that there is no date when the playground will open.

Still, young parkgoers will have plenty of new attractions to enjoy whenever the playground does finally open.

The playground will feature two separate areas — one for toddlers, and the other for older kids — along with multiple sprinklers, a new jungle gym, swings and more.

Community Board 7 District Manager Jeremy Laufer said he had received perhaps 20 inquiries from locals asking when the new playground would open.

“We’re all pleased they’re doing the work, but I’m disappointed that there is a delay,” said Laufer.

Sandgrund was less diplomatic.

“A lot of people have been trying to get an answer — I wish they’d been more transparent from the beginning about what was going on,” she said. “They said, ‘It’s going to open next week, then next week — now I feel like it’s totally up in the air when they’ll be done!”

Updated 5:20 pm, July 9, 2018
Today’s news:
Share on TwitterTweet
Share on Facebook
Subscribe

Don’t miss our updates:


Reasonable discourse

eric from windsor terrace says:
I watched the construction all summer long. The rubber mats were laid down by ONE guy over a nearly 2 week period. The fence was installed by 2 people achieving 8 sections daily. The foreman started to help with construction only after they they were trying to meet a deadline for the ribbon cutting. Otherwise he spent the Summer in the AC'ed trailer. I have decided I want a job doing nothing watching sub-contractors work at a snails pace.

I guess as long as it isn't over budget, time doesn't matter.

I am sure I am wrong about how the process works or who held up the construction. I do hope that I am. On the off chance this rings true for anyone involved please take this observation to heart.
Oct. 1, 2010, 1:59 pm

Comments closed.

First name
Last name
Your neighborhood
Email address
Daytime phone

Your letter must be signed and include all of the information requested above. (Only your name and neighborhood are published with the letter.) Letters should be as brief as possible; while they may discuss any topic of interest to our readers, priority will be given to letters that relate to stories covered by The Brooklyn Paper.

Letters will be edited at the sole discretion of the editor, may be published in whole or part in any media, and upon publication become the property of The Brooklyn Paper. The earlier in the week you send your letter, the better.

Keep it local!

Stay in touch with your community. Subscribe to our free newsletter: