The hemisphere’s most-impoverished nation has just been devastated by a massive earthquake. Here’s how to help the people of Haiti right now:
• The Red Cross: President Obama has recommended concerned citizens donate directly to the Red Cross by accessing the agency’s Web page set up for that purpose. The Red Cross has also set up a “donation by cellphone” serivce that allows you to give $10, which will be charged on your next mobile bill, by merely texting “HAITI” to 90999.
• The Mayor’s Fund: Mayor Bloomberg is directing money for relief efforts through the Mayor’s Fund to Advance New York City. Call 311 to donate.
• UNICEF: The United Nations Children’s Fund has set up a donation Web site.
• Save The Children: This organization’s donation Web site can be accessed by clicking this blue link.
• Doctors without Borders: This amazing group is already on the ground in Haiti. Donate by clicking on this Web link.
• Reaching U.S. Citizens in Haiti: Anyone concerned about American citizens who are in Haiti should contact the American Citizens Service at (888) 407-4747.