It’s going to take more than a decade to fix the stretch of the Brooklyn–Queens Expressway between Atlantic Avenue and Sands Street, a substandard roadway that is well past the end of its lifespan. Here’s how that process began and will roll on:
• 1997: Analysis of the problem began.
• Now though October: Proposals for the roadway’s rescue are developed.
• 2012: The final proposals are revealed.
• 2015: The winning design is finalized.
• 2017-20: Construction begins.
Project updates are occasionally available at https://ww