Sections

Food Fight!

The Brooklyn Paper
Share on TwitterTweet
Share on Facebook
Subscribe

Don’t miss our updates:

Brooklyn resident and Food Network host Sunny Anderson has had it with Cablevision.

“I’m so disappointed that some of my neighbors no longer have access to Food Network,” said Anderson, who lives in Bay Ridge.

The “Cooking for Real” host added, “I highly encourage all foodies to visit www.ilovefoodnetwork.com for information on how to demand Cablevision put your Food Network back on the air!”

Iron Chef Bobby Flay, who recently filmed an episode of “Throwdown with Bobby Flay” in Cobble Hill, has also lashed out at Cablevision.

He posted a message on Twitter reading, “Bang away at Cablevision...can’t believe there [sic] not showing Food Network.”

The TV network and cable television provider are in the midst of a heated contract dispute that has left Cablevision customers without their favorite shows.

“I’m so sad,” said Midwood resident Jeannie Chan. “I’m very upset because I was looking forward to watching the ‘Super Chef Battle’ and when I turned on the Food Network, I was like, ‘What happened?’ I love the Food Network.”

The channels for the Food Network and HGTV, both owned by Scripps Networks, no longer feature Flay grilling burgers. Instead, there’s a message from Cablevision pointing fingers at Scripps.

“Cablevision’s contract to carry HGTV and Food Network expired on December 31, 2009,” the company said in a statement. “Unfortunat­ely, Scripps chose to remove the channels from Cablevision’s system after we did not accept their demands.”

The Food Network counters, “Cablevision simply is not telling the truth.”

A message posted on www.foodnetwork.com reads, “Cablevision is trying to characterize our rate increases as exorbitant and our negotiating strategies as unusual or unethical. Yet, every other cable and satellite provider in the country has willingly and professionally renegotiated a fair market rate for the rights to carry these popular networks.”

Under the 2009 contract, Cablevision pays about 25 cents per subscriber for the Food Network and HGTV. The Food Network says “that combined rate is substantially lower than rates earned by other, individual top 10 cable networks and considerably less than rates Cablevision pays itself for less popular networks that it owns.”

The Food Network is asking Brooklynites to help get the channel back on the air by calling 1-866-695-BEST.

One Brooklynite sees the lack of Food Network programming, even if it is just temporary, as an opportunity.

DUMBO resident Jyl Ferris hopes the network’s fans will tune in to her how-to Internet show, “Cooking for Bachelors”. Episodes are filmed in her home kitchen and posted at www.cookingforbachelors.tv.

“It’s a great alternative,” Ferris said. “It’s time to come home and support the resources we have right here.”

Updated 11:48 am, January 16, 2019
Today’s news:
Share on TwitterTweet
Share on Facebook
Subscribe

Don’t miss our updates:


Reasonable discourse

Comments closed.

First name
Last name
Your neighborhood
Email address
Daytime phone

Your letter must be signed and include all of the information requested above. (Only your name and neighborhood are published with the letter.) Letters should be as brief as possible; while they may discuss any topic of interest to our readers, priority will be given to letters that relate to stories covered by The Brooklyn Paper.

Letters will be edited at the sole discretion of the editor, may be published in whole or part in any media, and upon publication become the property of The Brooklyn Paper. The earlier in the week you send your letter, the better.

Keep it local!

Stay in touch with your community. Subscribe to our free newsletter: