The Brooklyn Paper
Share on TwitterTweet
Share on Facebook

Don’t miss our updates:

Missing in Coney

Police are asking the public for help in their search for a Coney Island man missing since Sunday.

Officials said that 53-year-old Kenneth Viera was last seen on January 3.

The 6’6” tall, 190-pound resident, who is balding with a beard, was last seen wearing a black jacket, black hat, black pants and black shoes.

Cops are asking anyone with information regarding this man’s whereabouts to call the NYPD CrimeStoppers hotline at (800) 577-TIPS. All calls will be kept confidential.

New Year’s bash

Workers at Sheepshead Bay’s Paradise night club were attacked when a New Year’s Eve celebration turned violent.

Cops were told that a 52-year-old employee and a 41-year-old manager were both taken to the hospital following the 2:45 a.m. attack New Year’s morning.

Witnesses said that the victims were arguing with a group of men when the suspects suddenly charged at them with a baseball bat.

The 52-year-old employee suffered a broken wrist and a cut to his head as a result of the attack. The manager, who was off duty and partying in the club, suffered a cut to his head.

Both were taken to Coney Island Hospital, where they were listed in stable condition after treatment. Their attackers were still at large.

It was unclear what sparked the argument as this paper went to press.

Video violence

Two gun-toting muggers burst into a Gravesend video store last week, looking to loot the safe.

Police said that the suspects entered the store, located on Avenue U near West 7th Street, just before 7 p.m. on January 2 and pulled a gun on the 62-year-old man behind the counter.

The victim opened the safe for the two gunmen, who took $100 from the place before running off into the night.

No injuries were reported.

Cops are asking anyone with information regarding this robbery to call the 62nd Precinct at (718) 236-2611. All calls will be kept confidential.

Cabbie caper

A cab driver had a knife put to his neck when a fare robbed him of his receipts last week, officials said.

The cabbie told police that he had just picked up the mugger at the corner of Kings Highway and West 8th Street at 10:50 p.m. on January 2 when he suddenly felt the knife at his throat.

The thief took $200 from the cabbie, jumped out of the vehicle and ran to an awaiting van.

Cops caught up with the 43-year-old suspect, who was not named, a short time later and charged him with robbery.

Hallway mug

A man fought off a mugger in the hallway of a building on 84th Street near 20th Avenue, officials said.

Cops were told that the victim, 17, was inside the building at 11:15 p.m. on January 3 when the 19-year-old suspect approached and tried to rip the chain off his neck.

The two struggled and the 19-year-old thief ran off with the chain. Cops caught up with the man, who had not been named, a short time later and charged him with robbery.

Clearing accounts

A debt collector looking to recoup some of his money ended up receiving more than he bargained for on New Year’s Day.

The 23-year-old victim told police that the ball had just fallen in Times Square when he called the acquaintance, who reportedly owed him $15.

The two decided to meet, but when the victim demanded his money all he got was a thick stick smashed over his head.

His attacker ran off with the money he owed the victim still in his pocket, officials were told.

Two on one

A pair of knife-wielding thugs is being sought for a robbery near the corner of 20th and Bay Ridge avenues.

The victim, 37, was approaching the corner at 11:30 p.m. on January 2 when two white males approached.

The suspects pulled a knife and demanded that he fork over the $80 he had in his pocket, cops were told. No injuries were reported.

Cops were still looking for the muggers as this paper went to press.

Sidekick swipe

The first Sidekick steal in Bensonhurst in 2009 took place at the corner of 84th Street and 19th Avenue, cops from the 62nd Precinct said this week.

Cops were told that a 14-year-old boy was on the cell phone at 5:20 p.m. on January 3 when an unidentified male threatened to hurt him if he didn’t hand it over.

Fearing for his life, the victim did what he was told, officials said.

Sidekick cell phones were among the hottest items stolen — usually from teens — in southern Brooklyn. Apparently, its popularity hasn’t waned in 2009.

New Year’s trick

A would-be drug user was arrested last week following a New Year’s Eve carjacking.

Officials from the 62nd Precinct said that the unidentified suspect ran up to his 66-year-old victim at the corner of 86th Street and 23rd Avenue just before noon on December 31 and took the keys off him.

He then ran to the victim’s car and drove off with it, officials allege.

After a brief chase through the area, cops from the 62nd Precinct managed to stop the 39-year-old car thief, who reportedly had two syringes in his pocket when he was pulled over.

Updated 11:48 am, January 16, 2019
Today’s news:
Share on TwitterTweet
Share on Facebook

Don’t miss our updates:

Reasonable discourse

Comments closed.

First name
Last name
Your neighborhood
Email address
Daytime phone

Your letter must be signed and include all of the information requested above. (Only your name and neighborhood are published with the letter.) Letters should be as brief as possible; while they may discuss any topic of interest to our readers, priority will be given to letters that relate to stories covered by The Brooklyn Paper.

Letters will be edited at the sole discretion of the editor, may be published in whole or part in any media, and upon publication become the property of The Brooklyn Paper. The earlier in the week you send your letter, the better.

Keep it local!

Stay in touch with your community. Subscribe to our free newsletter: