Sections

City Council deals a blow to Coney rezoning bid

The Brooklyn Paper
Share on TwitterTweet
Share on Facebook
Subscribe

Don’t miss our updates:

The comprehensive development and rezoning plan for Coney Island has already cleared several hurdles in the mandated Uniform Land Use Review Procedure [ULURP], but this week the chairman of the New York City Council’s Zoning and Franchises subcommission recommended that the entire application be shelved − at least temporarily.

City Councilmember Tony Avella − who is also a candidate for mayor − urged New York City Economic Development Corporation President Seth Pinsky to consider pulling the ULURP application at a public hearing held at City Hall on Wednesday.

“I don’t see how this gets done in the time frame to be perfectly honest,” Avella said. “I believe that the best thing for you to basically do is temporarily pull out the application from the ULURP process.”

Avella’s comments followed often heated and contentious cross−examination of Pinsky by members of the subcommittee.

Brooklyn Councilmembers Domenic Recchia and Simcha Felder led the charge relentlessly pursuing Pinsky in an effort to pin down the EDC chief on key aspects of the application.

Critics of the plan maintain that longtime institutions like Deno’s Wonder Wheel Park and Gargiulo’s Restaurant will be adversely affected unless changes are made.

They also contend that the possibility of the city using eminent domain to acquire needed land is very real.

Without modifications to the application Recchia said, “I am recommending to turn this down.”

Parkland designation remains perhaps the biggest stumbling block for the city.

Bloomberg administration officials maintain that the City Council can go ahead and approve the rezoning plan before the state actually decides to alienate two car lots in the western end of Coney Island presently classified as parkland.

Under existing rules, parkland cannot be demapped unless new parkland is designated in its place.

The city wants to map almost 10 acres along the boardwalk as new parkland but doesn’t currently own the property.

The city is currently negotiating with about four property holders inside the amusement district − the largest being Joe Sitt and Thor Equities − to acquire the parcels it needs to create new parkland dedicated to outdoor amusements.

The City Council’s deadline to modify the Coney Island plan is July 13 with final approval coming no later than July 29.

But Bloomberg administration officials say that the process can legally be extended to as late as August 20.

Updated 11:48 am, January 16, 2019
Today’s news:
Share on TwitterTweet
Share on Facebook
Subscribe

Don’t miss our updates:


Reasonable discourse

Comments closed.

First name
Last name
Your neighborhood
Email address
Daytime phone

Your letter must be signed and include all of the information requested above. (Only your name and neighborhood are published with the letter.) Letters should be as brief as possible; while they may discuss any topic of interest to our readers, priority will be given to letters that relate to stories covered by The Brooklyn Paper.

Letters will be edited at the sole discretion of the editor, may be published in whole or part in any media, and upon publication become the property of The Brooklyn Paper. The earlier in the week you send your letter, the better.

Keep it local!

Stay in touch with your community. Subscribe to our free newsletter: