So what did Smartmom learn at the “sex-positive kids” lecture at Babeland?
1. Even an episode of “Gossip Girl” is a great jumping-off point for a discussion about gender identity and intimacy.
2. It’s important to think about what you did and didn’t like about how your parents told you about sex (if they even told you about sex). Do better.
3. Make it clear to your kids that you are always available to discuss, you know, all that that we never like to talk about.
4. As sexologist Amy Levine put it, ‘The Talk’ is not just one talk: it’s an ongoing, casual conversation.”
5. Have those “casual” conversations in enclosed spaces (cabs, subways, elevators) so your kids can’t run away.
6. Find your old copy of “Our Body Ourselves” and leave it out on the dining room table. If you can’t find it, don’t worry it’s been reissued.
7. For practice, say “penis” and “vulva” in the mirror 50 times.
8. If you do buy a hot pink vibrator at Babeland, find a good hiding place.
9. Actually, don’t find a good hiding place. Having your kid find your vibrator is an opening for a discussion about sex.
10. The store has a great selection of multi-colored vibrators!