Accused killer: I was the real victim

The Brooklyn Paper
Share on TwitterTweet
Share on Facebook

Don’t miss our updates:

The teen accused of butchering Carroll Gardens newsman George Weber is claiming he was the true victim in the bloody episode that played out inside a Henry Street apartment this past March.

That was the bombshell statement dropped by defense attorney Jeffrey Schwartz last week as 16−year−old John Katehis was indicted for murdering the 47−year−old Weber during a twisted sexual rendezvous that turned deadly.

Katehis, who liked to videotape prank calls to people and put the short films on YouTube under the name “JKScranks,” reportedly confessed to stabbing Weber 50 times during a bloody blow−up inside Weber’s home in late March.

He then shucked off his blood−stained clothes, exchanged them for a pair of clean clothes from Weber’s closet and fled.

Weber, a freelance broadcaster for WABC radio, was found dead inside his home near President on March 22 after he failed to show up for his Saturday shift.

The Queens teen was apprehended a few days later at a friend’s house in upstate New York.

After Friday’s court appearance, Schwartz claimed that Weber had lured Katehis to his apartment and had plied him with booze and cocaine before demanding sexual favors from him.

“It was like a spider luring him to his web,” Schwartz told The Daily News. “He was lured into the apartment. Weber wanted him to do some funky stuff.”

Prosecutors allege that Katehis met Weber on−line and had agreed to come to his home knowing that he was going to paid to provide sexual favors.

Investigators believe that Weber was murdered when the kinky sex−play got out of hand. Schwartz shot down that claim, stating that Weber died in a struggle.

“He thought Weber was going after him and there was a struggle for the knife,” Schwartz explained. “There was a big struggle. My kid had defensive wounds. He had a finger almost cut off.”

Police confirmed that Katehis had injured his hand during the assault. Hours after the murder, in fact, Katehis was pulled off a Queens−bound G train and paramedics were called when an MTA worker noticed he was bleeding.

Katehis was remanded to custody until July 17. Schwartz’s motion for bail was postponed to that date so Judge Neil Firetog could look over the grand jury minutes.

Updated 11:48 am, January 16, 2019
Today’s news:
Share on TwitterTweet
Share on Facebook

Don’t miss our updates:

Reasonable discourse

Comments closed.

First name
Last name
Your neighborhood
Email address
Daytime phone

Your letter must be signed and include all of the information requested above. (Only your name and neighborhood are published with the letter.) Letters should be as brief as possible; while they may discuss any topic of interest to our readers, priority will be given to letters that relate to stories covered by The Brooklyn Paper.

Letters will be edited at the sole discretion of the editor, may be published in whole or part in any media, and upon publication become the property of The Brooklyn Paper. The earlier in the week you send your letter, the better.

Keep it local!

Stay in touch with your community. Subscribe to our free newsletter: