Sections

Vote is ‘docked’! Big crowd delays CB2 vote on Walentas tower

The Brooklyn Paper
Share on TwitterTweet
Share on Facebook
Subscribe

Don’t miss our updates:

David and Jed Walentas’s proposal for an 18-story building next to the Brooklyn Bridge is so controversial that when all of the angry opponents and passionate supporters were finished speaking at the first public hearing on the project, members of the community board no longer had time to vote.

More than 80 opponents and supporters clashed over the residential development on Wednesday night, testifying at the four-hour Community Board 2 meeting at Long Island University.

Thirty-eight testified in support of the Walentases’ project and 49 spoke out against it.

The proposed 18-story residential building next to the Brooklyn Bridge on Dock Street in DUMBO comprises a 416-student public middle school, 325 rental residential units (65 of them at below-market rates), and 10,000 square feet of retail space.

The main arguments of project opponents centered on the building’s size, fears it would ruin views of the historic Brooklyn Bridge and bring too much traffic to the neighborhood, and that the middle school was a “public relations ploy” to “sweeten” a project that, opponents claim, is basically no different from an earlier, and much denser, version that was shot down amid community protests in 2004.

City officials had said earlier in the year that the school system does not need a middle school in DUMBO because there is capacity in other schools throughout the district. But in November, the schools officials changed their mind and included $43 million for the project in their next five-year capital budget. The money would fund the construction of interior classrooms, as the Walentases are only promising raw space, saving the city an estimated $50 million.

Still, that carrot didn’t mask what opponents feel is a stick: an overly large project next to a historic landmark.

“This project is not about our need for a middle school — that is the distraction,” said City Council candidate Ken Diamondstone, who opposes the project. “It is about a wealthy developer who wants to ignore and compromise our valuable icon.”

But supporters argued that the area desperately needs a middle school, affordable housing, and noted that Walentas could build a much taller hotel — without needing public approval — in the same spot.

“This is not Atlantic Yards,” said Councilwoman Letitia James (D-Fort Greene). “This is a project that I believe will go a long way in Downtown Brooklyn, and will preserve its nature.”

A local middle school principal, Allison Pell, added that a school should be a welcome addition to a neighborhood.

“When you have a school, it brings life to a community — there is artwork in the windows and kids on the street,” Pell said. “You would be crazy not to want to be involved with this project.”

The battle over Dock Street brought memories of the historic fight in 2004 over the earlier version of the project — one that even Jed Walentas — whose father, David, all but created the now-chic neighborhood down under the Manhattan Bridge overpass — now admits had serious flaws and put too much “bulk near the bridge.”

Since then, the Walentases acquired a small piece of adjacent land that allowed the project to be significantly reconfigured so that the 18-story wing is now set back further from this iconic span. Renderings put out by the developer show that the project’s scale is in line with other buildings in the former industrial warehouse zone.

The meeting is the first step in a seven-month public review process because in order to build his project, the area must be rezoned to residential from a manufacturing zone.

The community board vote is the first step in that process, but CB2 Chairman John Dew postponed the vote because of the late hour. It was not immediately clear when the count would take place.

Updated 10:28 am, December 19, 2008
Today’s news:
Share on TwitterTweet
Share on Facebook
Subscribe

Don’t miss our updates:


Reasonable discourse

Duke from Prospect Heights says:
The 49 opponents all seemed to be members and paid consultants of the BHA, DNA, and Fulton Ferry groups. The 38 proponents were pretty broad and diverse though.
Dec. 18, 2008, 1:22 pm
sam from dumbo says:
well, Duke, i was there too last night and it seemed like a lot of the dock st supporters were folks who had benefited from the Walentas' largess over the years - simply put, giving arts organizations cheap rent to set up shop and make the neighborhood more attractive to yuppie residents and then having them in your pocket when the time come for payback - pretty sad really that arts organizations can be co-opted in this way....also, obviously parents were for it but they can hardly been seen to be objective about this...
Dec. 18, 2008, 6:39 pm
carrie from dumbo says:
I thought that both groups were diverse but this building is just too big for the proposed location - a number of waivers would be necessary for it to proceed which demonstrates that in the past a decision had been taken that smaller scale architecture is more appropriate for this site.
Dec. 18, 2008, 6:43 pm
tom colek from heights says:
it's a problem that these developers can just go on and on re-submitting proposals for this site. They do this full -time whereas local residents have to fight it in their spare time.
Dec. 18, 2008, 6:45 pm
juanita says:
once again a short-term view expressed by the proponents of this scheme - there is not nearly enough detail about this project yet to make an informed decision - WHO will get to go to this school? - and who will get the "affordable" apartments ...let's see the detail and then decide...before selling our national landmarks for a promise and a prayer...
Dec. 18, 2008, 6:58 pm
da from brooklyn heights says:
I was there and it seemed the opponents will stop at nothing, will say any lie to torpedo this wonderful opportunity for the community. These are people who are afraid of "imported teens" and are only interested in their real estate values. As for the BHA this seems like a vendetta on their part. Their position is not for the betterment of the community as their kids all go to the pricy private schools so they don't see the critical need for this wonderful school. For my part I love the idea of this school in this inspirational setting and am appalled by attempts to squeeze more kids into the already overcrowded and outdated PS8 anex or some of the other wacky ideas Yassky and Stanton have dreamed up to support their wrongheaded opposition.
Dec. 20, 2008, 2:21 pm
Louise from Silverstein says:
Just to clarify a point - there are no paid employees of any dumbo neighborhood org. all are volunteers. Most of us there were just interested neghborhood residents.
In general it is NOT a fight of view vs school. The neighborhood is FOR the school, but in a 7 story bldg. The picture on the front page of this article shows just how out of scale the proposed bldg is for the area - look to the left of the bldg at the landmarked Tobacco Warehouse bldgs.

It is important to note that the school will be open to ALL students in District 13 - so it may be that very few from Brklyn Hts, Dumbo, and Farragut actually get to attend the school. As someone else said - the devil is in the details.
Dec. 24, 2008, 2:32 pm

Comments closed.

First name
Last name
Your neighborhood
Email address
Daytime phone

Your letter must be signed and include all of the information requested above. (Only your name and neighborhood are published with the letter.) Letters should be as brief as possible; while they may discuss any topic of interest to our readers, priority will be given to letters that relate to stories covered by The Brooklyn Paper.

Letters will be edited at the sole discretion of the editor, may be published in whole or part in any media, and upon publication become the property of The Brooklyn Paper. The earlier in the week you send your letter, the better.

Keep it local!

Stay in touch with your community. Subscribe to our free newsletter: