Sections

Bid to cut Ratner’s public subsidies fails

The Brooklyn Paper
Share on TwitterTweet
Share on Facebook
Subscribe

Don’t miss our updates:

The City Council quashed a bid on Wednesday by two Brooklyn politicians to withhold hundreds of millions of dollars in city and state subsidies from the Atlantic Yards mega-development.

Councilman David Yassky (D–Brooklyn Heights) asked the Council’s Finance Committee to take up the matter of those Atlantic Yards subsidies while considering a resolution calling for the state to end property-tax exemptions for Madison Square Garden.

“If we are going to say this about Madison Square Garden, we should say it about Atlantic Yards, too,” said Yassky, who added that he and Councilwoman Letitia James (D–Fort Greene) would soon re-introduce the measure, this time as a freestanding resolution, not an amendment.

According to the councilmem­bers’ calculations, the proposed arena for the Nets will get close to $700 million in subsidies from the city and state.

The failed resolution comes days after Ratner’s lawyers revealed that ongoing legal challenges to the project are likely to create “significant difficulties and cost increases in concluding the bond financing that is essential to the arena's completion.”

That revelation came in court papers asking a state appeals panel to expedite opponents’ appeal of a recent court decision that found that the Empire State Development Corporation’s environmental review of the mega-project was legally sufficient.

“The credit markets are in turmoil at this time,” Andrew Silberfein, the executive vice president and director of finance for Forest City Ratner Companies, said in the affidavit, referring to the fluctuating costs of borrowing money. “[There] is a serious question as to whether [the state] will be able to proceed with the financing for the arena while the appeal is pending before this court.

Sal Galatioto, a sports industry banker, told the New York Times that developer Bruce Ratner’s concerns weren’t baseless.

“The banks aren’t completely out of the market and the bond market is still there,” said Galatioto. “But the risk is continued delay.”

But opponents scoffed at the developer’s implicit suggestion that legal challenges to the controversial project were to blame for his financial woes.

“We’re in court to defend the community’s rights,” said Daniel Goldstein of Develop Don’t Destroy Brooklyn, one of the plaintiffs in the suit.

In addition to the environmental review case, another pending lawsuit challenges the state’s use of eminent domain.

Updated 4:35 pm, July 9, 2018
Today’s news:
Share on TwitterTweet
Share on Facebook
Subscribe

Don’t miss our updates:


Reasonable discourse

K. Hogan from Park Slope says:
Given the collapse in giant sectors of the world real estate market, I don't see plans like Whole Foods opening on 4th Ave. going forward, let alone the Ratner debacle. I would have to say that behemoth is dead in the water the way things are likely to play out. The age of huge public financed sports stadia is probably over forever.
Jan. 31, 2008, 11:02 pm

Comments closed.

First name
Last name
Your neighborhood
Email address
Daytime phone

Your letter must be signed and include all of the information requested above. (Only your name and neighborhood are published with the letter.) Letters should be as brief as possible; while they may discuss any topic of interest to our readers, priority will be given to letters that relate to stories covered by The Brooklyn Paper.

Letters will be edited at the sole discretion of the editor, may be published in whole or part in any media, and upon publication become the property of The Brooklyn Paper. The earlier in the week you send your letter, the better.

Keep it local!

Stay in touch with your community. Subscribe to our free newsletter: