The executive director of the Brooklyn Bridge Park Conservancy defended the closure the temporary park on Pier 1 for a private fireworks-watching event on July 4.
Last week, The Brooklyn Paper reported on the event, which was organized by the mayor’s office on behalf of veterans and their families, after several people complained that the so-called “pop-up park” at the foot of Old Fulton Street in DUMBO closed early on the Fourth. Would-be fireworks watchers were forced to find another public area to “ooh” and “aah.”
On Tuesday, Brooklyn Bridge Park Conservancy head honcho Marianna Koval called us to explain the move.
“Your story seemed to make it out to be a negative thing, but we were pleased to do something nice for veterans,” said Koval. “We had roughly 300 people, including veterans who were about to leave for another tour in Iraq and Afghanistan.”
Koval said she was perturbed that The Brooklyn Paper story focused on would-be park-goers’ frustration that the much-ballyhooed public park was closed during a very public display: the Macy’s fireworks pageant.
“The veterans loved it — and these are people who don’t get enough recognition for the work they do,” she said.