Not dog! Food vendor ban strikes 86th St

A Bay Ridge community board voted unanimously last Wednesday to ban food vendors along a stretch of busy 86th Street.

Members of Community Board 10 said the handful of hot dog and other food vendors between Fourth and Fifth avenues was a menace that attracts crowds and litter.

“It would be best to have no vending at all,” said the board’s District Manager Josephine Beckmann. “It just causes problems. The issue is cleanliness.”

The community board vendor ban request, which is only advisory, now heads to the city’s Department of Small Business Services for further review.

The proposal would affect the three vendors who regularly set up on the block. As you might expect, they weren’t pleased.

“I have nothing else to support my family,” said Sam Aped, 32, who sells chicken, lamb and falafel out of a silver food cart near the corner of 86th Street and Fifth Avenue.

The hard-working Aped started as a food vendor in Manhattan a year ago, but relocated to Bay Ridge to improve his business and nourish local shoppers.

“It’s very difficult,” he said while slicing eggplant. “If I have a job I do my best to keep that job.”

Aped’s customers certainly support his right to make a living selling low-cost food with little wait time.

“I don’t see the benefit of banning them,” said Kelene, a 26-year-old woman who ordered a hot dog. “I just want something quick and easy without the wait.”

Another customer, Kawain Boston, agreed.

“They just sell good food,” said Boston, who looked forward to indulging in a chicken gyro. “You can’t find that at McDonald’s — that’s why I come here.”

But at least one 86th Street restaurant owner showed little sympathy for his competition.

“I would bomb them out if I could,” said the restaurateur, who requested anonymity for obvious reasons.

Updated 5:07 pm, July 9, 2018

Me from the ridge says:
are you kidding me ? cleanliness? 86th st 'tween 4th and 5th ave cant get much filthier. an I'm not talking about litter. how about cleaning up some of the trash shopping options we have in the ridge. Those carts are the only thing that smell good in bay Ridge ... it's great to catch a whiff of a cart after strolling past McDonald's. That food smells so bad! I can just hear people getting fatter.

“It just causes problems. The issue is cleanliness.”

OK Josephine, I am all for cleaning up The Ridge. Let's start by putting a trash can at the entrance to the subway closer to 85st. This way, the nasty pigs that live in this 'hood don't have to put their trash in the newspaper stands.

use you head and have some compassion for people. this is nonsense.
June 26, 2008, 10 pm
Mel from Bay Ridge says:
Are there more than two food vendors on 86th Street? Because I have only ever seen that one falafel/lamb/chicken one in some sort of bus contraption and this guy featured. And they are definitely nice and clean. Cleaner than that McD's. And a heck of a lot healthier.

Crazy.
June 29, 2008, 10:40 am
me from bay ridge says:
i saw a mouse in mcdonalds on 86th nd 4th last month. i told a woman cleaning, who didnt seem to speak english & didnt give a ——. i told a server who had come upstairs & he replied "i dont make enough" and did nothing about it.. finally after telling the manager she went upstairs, but i left before i saw anything happen. gross
June 29, 2008, 7:28 pm
Michael from Bay Ridge says:
I don't think McDonalds is anything good or healthy, but I disagree with the posters who think that the vendor food is any healthier. Food from carts is loaded with oil and fat, and I have to say I really doubt that the hygeine standards of the carts is in keeping with the health codes. They look dirty, and furthermore have no toilets and no sinks for the workers to wash their hands. McDonalds is not the only other option, there is Hinsch's nearby, which is delicious and better quality, along with a number of other local restaurants in less than five minutes walking distance. I for one won't miss the vendors.
June 30, 2008, 3:13 am
rosa from queens says:
busco un carro mobil
para mas informacion llamenos al 1347 400 8963
March 3, 2009, 11:54 pm
mohammad from Manhattan says:
There are good vendors and bad vendors
All vendors should control odors, smoke, pedestrian flow and other impacts to the street.
Most do not.
We need more enforcement.
June 22, 2009, 9:58 pm
Mike from Bay Ridge says:
Who in their right mind would eat food from one of those filthy stands? They are open from noon until past midnight. No toilets, running water. You have to be crazy to eat that stuff. Just go to the corner instead and eat out of a garbage can instead. They're disgusting.
May 15, 2018, 8:01 am