Beat down

The Brooklyn Paper
Share on TwitterTweet
Share on Facebook

Don’t miss our updates:

A Willoughby Street resident was beaten and robbed on her way home early on May 26, police said.

The 30-year-old was walking on Carlton Avenue, near Wil­lough­by Street, at 4 am, when she was attacked by a man and a woman walking toward her.

The man snatched the victim’s handbag and punched her in the face, leaving her with a swollen black eye. He then threw her down on the pavement, which left her leg scratched and bleeding, and dashed off toward De­Kalb Avenue with bag in hand.

Burglars visit

Home construction projects always involve minor setbacks. But this one was more major.

Someone swiped more than a dozen tools, entertainment equipment and a bicycle from a Steuben Street home overnight on May 24, police said.

The 59-year-old owner, who is staying on Hall Street while the work is being done, left his home, between Park and Myrtle avenues, just before midnight. When he returned at 10 am the following day, the glass front door had been shattered. Shards littered the entryway and it was clear someone had been inside.

All together, the items were worth nearly $2,200.

Mystery shoot

Armed thugs seem to be trying to return Myrtle Avenue to its onetime moniker, “Murder Avenue.”

Gunfire rang out for at least a second time this month near Myrtle Avenue, when police said a Navy Street resident was shot at least four times — and survived — near a Hudson Walk housing project on May 23. Bullets struck the victim in the chin, the chest, the left arm and the left leg when they erupted from a building just off Myrtle Avenue, shortly before 10:30 pm.

On May 12, a 36-year-old man was shot several times as he walked into a deli on the corner of Myrtle and Carlton avenues, just two blocks from Fort Greene Park, around 3 am. That same corner was the also site of a May 5 shooting, when a 28-year-old was wounded by gunfire from a passing car around 4 am, police said.

Car swiped

A Brooklyn man’s car was stolen from Grand Avenue while he toiled at a construction site nearby, police said.

The victim parked the Toyota Camry near Gates Avenue at 6:30 am on May 21. When he returned at 3 pm, the 1997 sedan had disappeared without a trace.

Updated 4:00 pm, November 10, 2010
Today’s news:
Share on TwitterTweet
Share on Facebook

Don’t miss our updates:

Reasonable discourse

Comments closed.

First name
Last name
Your neighborhood
Email address
Daytime phone

Your letter must be signed and include all of the information requested above. (Only your name and neighborhood are published with the letter.) Letters should be as brief as possible; while they may discuss any topic of interest to our readers, priority will be given to letters that relate to stories covered by The Brooklyn Paper.

Letters will be edited at the sole discretion of the editor, may be published in whole or part in any media, and upon publication become the property of The Brooklyn Paper. The earlier in the week you send your letter, the better.

Keep it local!

Stay in touch with your community. Subscribe to our free newsletter: