Boxing Day beat-down in Heights

The Brooklyn Paper
Share on TwitterTweet
Share on Facebook

Don’t miss our updates:

A man breaking into a Jeep on Clinton Street turned his violence on a Brooklyn Heights man walking home on Dec. 26, cops said, but still ended up empty-handed.

As the 54-year-old victim neared the corner of Aitken Place around 11:15 pm, he saw two strangers standing near a red Jeep with bags of bottles on their shoulders. A woman stood near the driver’s side, and a man peered through the passenger-side window — and suddenly broke the glass.

But instead of focusing on the vehicle, the Boxing Day burglar turned to the passerby and struck him in the jaw with some kind of metal tool. The blow started some serious swelling and sent the victim to his knees. The brute demanded cash, but the victim said no.

That was enough to send the pair fleeing empty-handed. The victim ended up at Long Island College Hospital.

Police are searching for a black man, about 30 years old, 6-foot-1 and 190 pounds. The victim was unable to describe the woman in more detail.

Police are investigating whether the crime was related to another incident on the same corner 15 minutes earlier.

In that case, a couple walking on Livingston Street lost $150 to an impatient, but armed, thief who fit the same description.

The thug rushed up behind the 25-year-old man and his girlfriend near the corner of Clinton Street just after 11 pm. He grabbed the woman’s shoulder, and when the couple turned around, they were face-to-face with a 9mm handgun.

The thief then grabbed the man by the neck, pointed the gun at his head, and insisted, “Give me the money…give me the money.” When the victim turned over $150, the robber replied, “Is that all you’ve got?”

But when the woman began to yell for help, the thief pocketed the cash and told his victims to walk away without looking back.

Holiday hold-up

Forget about Father Christmas. This visitor wasn’t spreading holiday spirit.

In fact, when an armed man dropped by an Atlantic Avenue bodega around 7:15 pm on Christmas Day, he wasn’t in a giving mood at all. The thug threatened the counter worker with the handgun, swiped $200 from the register, and stole any remaining good cheer.

Cell swipe

Like a date gone bad, the thief stood up his victim.

A fake name and false meeting spot helped a thief elude the victim who tried to track him after he swiped her cellphone on Dec. 27, police said.

The woman was walking along Fulton Street, near Jay Street, around 3 pm when she realized someone had stolen her phone. When she dialed her digits, the thief answered. He agreed to meet her — and return the phone.

But while the victim arrived at the agreed-upon site, the thief was a no-show.

Bus-stop mug

A quick-acting thief swiped a woman’s wallet as she waited for the bus on Fulton Mall on Dec. 30, police said.

The 38-year-old Fort Greene woman was at a bus stop near Jay Street, around 12:20 pm, when she felt a tiny tug on her shoulder bag. She turned to see a stranger running off with her wallet, which contained her work ID, several credit cards, a New York State driver’s license, a $20 gift card, and a commuter train ticket.

Jewel heist

A jeweler carrying a bag down Willoughby Street provided an easy target for a thief on Dec. 29.

Someone swiped the gems from the 42-year-old victim as he neared Bridge Street, around 11:45 am, cops said. The man, whose business is based in Manhattan’s 47th Street diamond district, was punched in the neck and stomach by the thief, who dashed away down Willoughby Street.

Smith St. steal

A thief swiped the purse of a clerk in a discount store on Smith Street on Dec. 29, police said.

The 23-year-old victim briefly put her purse on the counter of the 99-cent store, near Livingston Street at around 2:30 pm. When she turned around for a moment, it disappeared.

The bag held a signed bank check worth $500, a pair of credit cards, a New York State ID, a white iPod, a set of house keys and a pre-approved car loan application.

Lincoln debased

What a Christmas gift — for a car thief.

Criminals picked out a Lincoln Navigator from a spot on Bergen Street sometime between 2 am and noon on Christmas Day, police said. The 25-year-old owner, a Vermont woman, left the locked vehicle near Nevins Street. The next day, another car was in its spot.

Bomb hoax

A man who claimed to be armed with a bomb tried to rob a transit clerk inside a subway station on Fulton Street and Washington Avenue on New Year’s Eve, police said.

The 29-year-old victim was at her post inside the A/C station at 6:25 am when the brute appeared and asked to borrow a pen and paper. But the request was just a ruse. When the clerk turned to get the items, the man handed her a pre-written note and insisted, “Read this.”

“I have a bomb. Give me your money,” the cursive script said.

Undeterred, the transit clerk struggled to close the door on the would-be invader. As she did, he became desperate, pleading with her, “Give me something. Give me your wallet.”

The clerk told him she had nothing to give. The faux-bomber bolted to the street before transit cops could track him down.

Boxing Day bust

A thief hitting the post-holiday sales on Dec. 26 was arrested when he targeted merchandise worth more than $1,000 from a department store at the Atlantic Terminal mall, police said.

Police Officer George Greene of the 88th Precinct nabbed the 43-year-old when he allegedly tried to snag a DVD player and a comforter from the anchor store of the mall, which is at Atlantic and Flatbush avenues.

A 26-year-old employee saw the suspect try to slip the items out of the store without paying, around 1 pm. But Officer Greene stopped the thief.

Knifeman nabbed

Police arrested a 43-year-old man who used a blade to rob a man on DeKalb Avenue on New Year’s Eve.

The 30-year-old victim was walking near Clinton Avenue around 9:45 pm when the knifeman rushed up and grabbed his wallet, with $35 inside. But Police Officer Anthony Barbee chased after the suspect and cuffed him on robbery charges.

Cell swipe

A teenager lost her lifeline when two thugs stole her cellphone on Dec. 30, police said.

The 16-year-old was walking on Atlantic Avenue, near Fifth Avenue, heading toward one of the avenue’s shopping malls around 4:30 pm, when the two thieves walked up. One restrained her as the other punched her, and then grabbed the cell from her waistband. The brutes ran off on Atlantic Avenue with the phone, leaving her destined for Brooklyn Hospital with a swollen lip.

Car crimes

Thieves in Fort Greene burglarized at least five cars and stole another two vehicles outright during Christmas week, police reports show. The vandalism included:

•On Dec. 26, between 5:10 pm and 7:45 pm, a 1997 Ford was burglarized. The 18-year-old owner, a Staten Island woman, parked the vehicle on Washington Avenue, at Park Avenue, and returned to find the passenger-side window cracked open and her iPod, credit cards, bank card, Social Security card and birth certificate missing.

•Later that day, at 10 pm, a 26-year-old Long Island woman left her 1997 Mazda GTE on Washington Avenue, near Gates Avenue. When she returned two days later, the passenger-side window was broken and a Triton Extreme keyboard, valued at $2,000, was missing.

•In the early morning of Dec. 27, a Jersey City man parked his BMW 525 on Carlton Avenue, near DeKalb Avenue. The 34-year-old man returned at 11:30 am to find someone had swiped both headlights from the 2001 station wagon.

•On Dec. 28, between noon and 5 pm, a vehicle was burglarized on Fleet Place and Willoughby Avenue. The 33-year-old driver parked the car and returned to find the driver’s-side window broken and his wallet gone. The billfold held bank cards, four department store charge cards, and his Social Security card.

•Sometime after 9 pm on Dec. 29, and 8:30 am the following morning, thieves scored jewelry and an iPod from a car parked on Ashland Place, near Willoughby Street.

•On Dec. 29, around 12:30 pm, a woman snatched the keys to a 1988 Plymouth Sundance from the owner as he was about to open the car, which was parked at the corner of Lefferts Place and Classon Avenue. She jumped in and drove off in the sedan.

Updated 4:00 pm, November 10, 2010
Today’s news:
Share on TwitterTweet
Share on Facebook

Don’t miss our updates:

Reasonable discourse

Comments closed.

First name
Last name
Your neighborhood
Email address
Daytime phone

Your letter must be signed and include all of the information requested above. (Only your name and neighborhood are published with the letter.) Letters should be as brief as possible; while they may discuss any topic of interest to our readers, priority will be given to letters that relate to stories covered by The Brooklyn Paper.

Letters will be edited at the sole discretion of the editor, may be published in whole or part in any media, and upon publication become the property of The Brooklyn Paper. The earlier in the week you send your letter, the better.

Keep it local!

Stay in touch with your community. Subscribe to our free newsletter: